Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2011, 06:22 AM   #1

Rebuilt Alternator

Merry Spring to all!

While getting the "ole girl" ready for this Spring I notice my voltmeter sitting pegged, well over the end of the scale at 18 volts while idling. A quick check with the meter confirmed that the Alternator regulator had indeed failed and in fact was producing 23 volts at idle, my in-dash voltmeter scale just didn't go that high! Fortunately the 8.3C configuration allows for removal of the Alternator in about 10 minutes. After removing it I spun it around by hand and the bearings didn't sound healthy either. I guess after 17 yrs it's time for a new one

I headed down to Hite Parts Exchange here in Columbus, Ohio. They had the 21si Delco-Remy 160amp alternator in stock as it's quite common to a lot of OTR trucks, farm implements and construction equipment. It may sound crazy but I was impressed with their facility cleanliness. Even where everybody was working away the shop floor and entire facility was immaculate, clean and tidy. I wouldn't go as far to say I would eat off the floor - but it was close!

My original alternator was a 3-wire setup which utilized voltage sensing and an exciter lead. The new/rebuilt unit from Hite is a 1-wire setup, no other wires but the + and - leads from the Chassis batteries needed now. Works great! Even at a 600rpm idle it's charging away at 13.8volts now.

Keep Hite in mind for Carbs, Alternators and Starters (even for gensets) as they are a high quality rebuilder with an on-net presence. NAPA wanted $225.00 for a rebuilt 21si (China) and $350.00 for a completely new one. Hite's price was $135.00 with a full one year warranty AND rebuilt right here using US made repair parts.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2011, 08:59 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know a lot of folks who do not like rebulit or re-manufactured (not always the same thing)

Re-built they replace all parts that fail... They re-condition some of the parts by cleaning or machining, they may replace bearings with ones that are slightly different. (For Example, if the shaft is worn by a siezed bearing the new one may be a few thousands of an inch smaller to make up for it)

Diodes may be replaced if failed.

Re-Manufactured they replace all worn parts, the unit is basically identical to the day it was new.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:42 AM   #3

Thanks for the site. I book marked it. Good prices.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
Merry Spring to all!

While getting the "ole girl" ready for this Spring I notice my voltmeter sitting pegged, well over the end of the scale at 18 volts while idling. A quick check with the meter confirmed that the Alternator regulator had indeed failed and in fact was producing 23 volts at idle, my in-dash voltmeter scale just didn't go that high! Fortunately the 8.3C configuration allows for removal of the Alternator in about 10 minutes. After removing it I spun it around by hand and the bearings didn't sound healthy either. I guess after 17 yrs it's time for a new one

Your vehicle's battery should have enough reserve power to allow your vehicle to run, but without anything to recharge the battery, your vehicle would eventually stop.
jdaniels1477 is offline   Reply With Quote