Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2018, 11:32 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Rusted Hydraulic fitting Steering

As I was greasing the chassis was doing a visual check of items and noticed the hydraulic fitting on the steering box was badly rusted.
Has anyone ever dealt with this?
Replacing the entire line is not a real option, but was thinking might be able to use a screw together fitting or maybe a portable crimper to put a new fitting on. Just not sure how much slack I have in the line.
I put a coating of fluid film on for now but need to address right away.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4041.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	205487
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2018, 02:33 PM   #2

I'd take a wire brush (looks like a tooth brush) and clean off the fitting as much as you can then take emery cloth and 'shoe shine' the area's you can't reach with the brush. Once it's nice and clean apply some rust inhibiting paint to the fitting. The insides of the fittings are probably fine as they're protected from the weather and some oil is present.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 02:46 PM   #3

I would get a field service replacement fitting and change it. Looks like a JIC flair fitting. Here is a link.

https://www.discounthydraulichose.co...tings_s/63.htm

They also make male to female 90 degree JIC elbows. That and a few straight adaptors could make up for some of the lost hose length.

You will also want to replace the screw hose clamp with an all stainless type. The screw in yours is about to fail.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 02:49 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I would get a field service replacement fitting and change it. Looks like a JIC flair fitting. Here is a link.

https://www.discounthydraulichose.co...tings_s/63.htm

You will also want to replace the screw hose clamp with an all stainless type. The screw in yours is about to fail.

Thanks twinboat. That is what I am leaning towards. I have a message in to Spartan to confirm the hose type and size.
I noticed that clamp also.

Ljowdy if it were just some surface rust I would do that but it is much worse than that. Bet if I put some pressure on the line I would crack it open.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:28 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Today I tried to get some information out of Spartan on the hose and fitting. They could not help. So I crawled up inside to take a closer look at the hose and fitting to try and determine what I had.
What I found is the hose is Parker 451 Tough Cover and on their site the only fitting they recommend for this hose is a crimp fitting 43 Series.
Looking at DiscountHydraulics.com they did not list and field attachable for the 451 hose either. The fitting appear to be a 1L943-8-6 which is 1/2” JIC to a 3/8” hose.
Now I need to find a portable crimper or see if I can find someone to install the fitting for me.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:22 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club

This has been a busy week for me trying to determine the best course of action to deal with the rusted fitting. Made many phone calls and did a lot of research on making sure I get the correct fitting installed and installed correctly. I could not locate anyone with a portable crimper and in my research some places will not put a new fitting on an old hose. The hose is in great shape as it has been out of the weather and is not flexed so it looks like new on the outside. So I ordered some fittings and then started looking at other options. Replacing the complete line was an option but it would have required routing in a new location and leaving old line in place. I also tried to find a loaner or rental crimper again just nothing out there. So in some of my searching I spotted a brand new Parker crimper for less than 1/2 price. I already had an air/hydraulic pump so that was starting to look like an attractive option. After a little more thought of what it might cost for someone to run a new line or possibly making a trip to Spartan I bit the bullet and purchased the crimper. Figured I could turn around and sell it for what I paid, or add it to my inventory of tools. The crimper arrived today as did a die specific to the fitting I need to install.
So this weekend the plan is to verify that I truly have a JIC 37 degree fitting. Once I remove the fitting I will be committed to making the repair. Going to be a hot one tomorrow and I will have to wrestle the 75 pound crimper up inside to crimp the new fitting.

Fittings
Lower is another brand top is a Parker. I am sticking with the Parker.

Name:	IMG_2640.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	404.2 KB
ID:	206330
Crimper with die and fitting. Lower legs come off so it will fit up by the steering box so I can crimp the new fitting.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2266.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	454.1 KB
ID:	206328  
Old 06-09-2018, 09:14 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
RV is all propped up and ready to tackle this job. The one looming question I keep asking myself is how much fluid may come out when I crack the hose open. RV is on a slope and front is on ramps. Hoping gravity keeps the fluid loss to a min.
Aired up jacks down and on ramps gives me plenty of room and safety. I can fit under where working with air down, jacks down and off ramps so no danger.

Name:	IMG_4087.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	382.0 KB
ID:	206394
And the small cubby that I will be working this is a fairly large empty space in front of drivers tire.

Name:	IMG_4091.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	206395

Already replaced the hose clamp on the return line. Was not bad as it looked from picture. But new Breeze SS will outlast rest of RV.
Old 06-09-2018, 12:06 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
2 hours of prep and 5 minutes of crimping I now have a new fitting in place.
Fluid leakage was minimal maybe a tablespoon.
Verified that fitting was indeed JIC 37 and not SAE 45.
Keeping the inside of the hose clean was a top priority. So lot of extra work to make sure none of the cutting debris made it inside.
Put an extra fitting on gear box with end taped up.

Name:	IMG_4099.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	206406
Taped up old fitting and added many layers to protect the good hose while I cut old fitting off. Some may ask why not just cut the hose and be done. Doing this does not allow you to keep the cut debris from going in the hose. And no way to clean it like a new hose.

Name:	IMG_4098.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	206407
Cut the crimp ferrule off so hose can be slid off.

Name:	IMG_4100.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	206408
And then a piece of 3/8 rod placed inside hose so end can be trimmed.

Name:	IMG_4103.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	206409
Crimper sitting upside down on a 5 gallon bucket was perfect height.

Name:	IMG_4104.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	206410
30 seconds later a new fitting. Making sure it was turned correctly with a line that was put on hose while old fitting was still in place.

Name:	IMG_4108.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	206411
And crimp was measured in multiple places verifying that it was correct diameter.
Now just hook it up and clean up the mess.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:34 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club

While it was up in the air decided to address a couple air leaks. Added jack stands for additional safety. Replaced a front ride height valve that was leaking along with a pressure protection valve and double check valve. Had a hard time locating exact double check valve and ended up buying a haldex. Once I got the old off it had a part number on back side Parker Schrader Bellows 0RB0002. Could not find it anywhere via google. Ended up installing the haldex as it was made for this application.
Installed the parts and did a quick leak test. Did not see any leaks in all the fittings that needed redone.
Here is the old setup.

Name:	IMG_4114.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	283.3 KB
ID:	206493
New setup with check valve mounted horizontal as they recommend.

Name:	IMG_4117.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	336.7 KB
ID:	206494
Old 05-13-2021, 10:55 AM   #10

Once again spk64, you continue to impress.
I did a quick search for that Parker press and find used at $1500.
I gotta see your tool box!
Have you gotten any other use out of the press beyond this one fitting?

I recently was looking for hydraulic Cable press (to make eyelets on boat hoist cables) but gave up the search. All that are relatively inexpensive seem to be for electric wire crimps.

I replaced a bunch of hydraulic hoses on my JLG man lift last season and thought about a field hose crimper...ended up being cheaper to replace all of the hoses with JLG factory hoses (about $2K total). Life and Limb depend on those hoses up in the air...
Old 05-13-2021, 11:58 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks!
I found a brand new unit on eBay for around $1000 and a die set from some other site reasonably priced. It was expensive but trying to run a new hose front to rear would have been a difficult task. Hose was good, fitting just had me worried. Have not gotten any other use out of it yet. It may go back on eBay eventually.
Old 05-30-2021, 03:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
Thanks!
I found a brand new unit on eBay for around $1000 and a die set from some other site reasonably priced. It was expensive but trying to run a new hose front to rear would have been a difficult task. Hose was good, fitting just had me worried. Have not gotten any other use out of it yet. It may go back on eBay eventually.
What you needed was a "field applied" or "reuseable" high pressure fitting from parker Hannifin, you did not need the fitting press and all the extra work and money, a field applied fitting is 100% as good if not better than a pressed on fitting, it consists of a "cup" that has reverse threads that goes on the cut hose first, then an "insert fitting" that screws into the cup and the hose... https://www.ebay.com/itm/380643103853
ponytl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 03:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Thanks!
This post was from years ago:-)
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 03:30 PM   #14

Quote:
As I was greasing the chassis was doing a visual check of items and noticed the hydraulic fitting on the steering box was badly rusted.
Has anyone ever dealt with this?
Replacing the entire line is not a real option, but was thinking might be able to use a screw together fitting or maybe a portable crimper to put a new fitting on. Just not sure how much slack I have in the line.
I put a coating of fluid film on for now but need to address right away.
Attachment 205487
a few days ago I was on the side of the road with the 3/4" 2 wire high pressure line about 4ft from the pump even with the transmission... it had rubbed against the frame on my spartan chassis 4095 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire... It was a 1hr fix once I got the proper field applied reuseable fittings and a 4" electric grinder with a metal cutoff blade... I sprayed cleaner up in the hose to clean after the cut... getting the 44 qts of fluid back in the system was fun... 2 red solo cups and dip and pour transfered 5 gallons in about 10 min or less... it has me thinking having 2ea of the most common size of these reusable fittings... could really save you.. you could always get a small section of hose made anywhere with the fitting you actually needed... the reusable fitting would then allow you to make the connection to your old hose under the bus...
ponytl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic, rust, steering