RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2015, 04:15 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Service??

Got to Spartan yesterday PM for appointment today (Wednesday). Made the appointment months ago. Was informed that "they were quite backed up and probably wouldn't get to it until Thursday." If they had called me, I could have spent another day with my 91 year-old mom-probably won't be too many more days with her. What has happened to common curtesy?

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor, Newmar KK Lone Stars South
Dutch Star David is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2015, 04:48 PM   #2

We spent 10 days at Spartan which was during Labor Day weekend. Great service but some problems with paper work and time management for service. Should have been out before Labor Day weekend which would have put us there for 4 days rather then the 10 days. We too did have an appointment.

tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:23 PM   #3

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlovitt View Post
Got to Spartan yesterday PM for appointment today (Wednesday). Made the appointment months ago. Was informed that "they were quite backed up and probably wouldn't get to it until Thursday." If they had called me, I could have spent another day with my 91 year-old mom-probably won't be too many more days with her. What has happened to common curtesy?
We likewise were in Charlotte this summer and also had to wait a day beyond our scheduled appointment date to get into the rotation.

I tried to put myself in their position. They are trying to schedule their appointments close enough to keep their service bays full. We bring our coaches in thinking and probably telling the customer service/scheduling rep there is nothing wrong with our coach we just need to get the 44 point inspection for piece of mind. Takes about 4 hours to complete the inspection. So one would assume they can turn over the bays twice each day. The extremely difficult part, for Spartan, comes from trying to predict just what maintenance will be required on each coach. Using my own experience as an example they found badly cracked rear air bags and a leaking rear ride height adjustment valve. That just added another 8 hours of required service bay time to my appointment. We just went from 4 hours to 12 hours of bay time. Spartan now has two available options: They can complete the work or have me schedule another appointment. Believe me I am happy they chose the first option. It would have been at least a month before I could get another appointment date, which would have had a real negative influence on our summer travel plans.
Ford Ranger Towed
rag_ftw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:53 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rag_ftw View Post
We likewise were in Charlotte this summer and also had to wait a day beyond our scheduled appointment date to get into the rotation.

I tried to put myself in their position. They are trying to schedule their appointments close enough to keep their service bays full. We bring our coaches in thinking and probably telling the customer service/scheduling rep there is nothing wrong with our coach we just need to get the 44 point inspection for piece of mind. Takes about 4 hours to complete the inspection. So one would assume they can turn over the bays twice each day. The extremely difficult part, for Spartan, comes from trying to predict just what maintenance will be required on each coach. Using my own experience as an example they found badly cracked rear air bags and a leaking rear ride height adjustment valve. That just added another 8 hours of required service bay time to my appointment. We just went from 4 hours to 12 hours of bay time. Spartan now has two available options: They can complete the work or have me schedule another appointment. Believe me I am happy they chose the first option. It would have been at least a month before I could get another appointment date, which would have had a real negative influence on our summer travel plans.
Thanks Robert for your insight to what happens in scheduling and I totally agree. We want to use the Spartan Service Center once a year and to include the 44 point safety inspection for piece of mind. Our first two annual appointments have resulted in issues that would have been serious had they gone on. I am going to try for late September this year in the hope that we won't spend too much extra unscheduled time getting our "normal" annual maintenance work done. These machines are not the same as a car when it comes to that sort of work. As we were preparing to leave last August in what had taken a day longer than scheduled due to a Cummins engine reboot issue, my car battery was dead. The Spartan guys helped me out by jump starting my car, locating a battery source and giving me a map to get to the store in town. They are A-OK in my book.
Kuppajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:20 PM   #5

Glad to hear the good reports on factory service, as we have an appointment this coming May.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:53 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I just book a appointment for May 4 on my 98 American Dream. Even that I been doing yearly repair and upgrade plus bring it to a Local Truck Repair Shop for yearly inspection, I'm sure they will fine other stuff that should be look at. And that the main raison I'm going there, to see what we have miss over the year. I like to keep my coach in top running order, my DW seem to think that I'm spending to much time on maintenance and upgrade and money on a older MH. But that one of my Hobby and enjoy doing it, plus doing most of the work yourself, you know what you have went you leave for a trip. We are retired and will be doing a 6,000 miles trip before making it to Spartan.
JoeMoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 05:23 PM   #7

From talking to other Spartan chassis owners. The factory will work with extended service contracts only if you have an appt. This can cause time problems because they must first diagnose the problems, call the ESC provider and obtain approval to perform the work, only then may repairs begin.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:52 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
From talking to other Spartan chassis owners. The factory will work with extended service contracts only if you have an appt. This can cause time problems because they must first diagnose the problems, call the ESC provider and obtain approval to perform the work, only then may repairs begin.
I had an appointment last September. My appointment was for Monday, finally got me in on Wednesday (don't be the last one to register). Even so, did my service and inspection. I needed ball joints replaced and a few other items. They accepted ESC and handle all the paperwork. I was told I might have to wait a couple days because the ESC would probably want to send out an inspector first. My ESC (ExtraRide) approved the work over the phone, no wait, and I was completed and on my way by Friday afternoon.

Tags
service