Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2013, 11:15 PM   #1

Slides out with no jacks down

I, have recently purchased a 2006 TS 40DS04 on a Spartan chassis. My question:
1/ Is it necessary to put the jacks down on level ground before extending the slides?
(The air bags will stay inflated if the jacks are not used).
2/ I when the jacks are extended the air bags deflate.
I understand that this is normal but the rear bag takes a lot longer To inflate than the the front bag and the coach does not always rise when both bags inflate Unless I retract the jacks a second or third time. Is this normal and if not what should I do?
Would appreciate any input. Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2013, 06:37 AM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
I have the same problem in my Entegra. If your last move when parking was in reverse, you'll have trouble airing back up because that leaves the valve open. Back up, and then pull forward a foot, then turn off the engine....resets the valve. Then turn off, then slides out, then Jacks down.

See if that makes a difference for you.

Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:31 AM   #3

Thanks, will try that. I noticed that you put your slides out before extending the jacks.
I was told that the normal procedure is jacks Down then slides out. Slides in then jacks up.
Would like to know which is correct.
Thanks,
Old 10-30-2013, 12:29 PM   #4

My Spartan mm chassis manual says never extend slides until jacks are down
and coach level. If you think about it, putting the weight of the slides out you could
be straining the frame, especially on uneven ground. jm2cents worth
Old 10-31-2013, 08:21 AM   #5

Cat938g,

Across the industry, that is correct, and don't fault Spartan. HOWEVER, Entegra Coach specifies the opposite procedure, slides out, jacks down, slides in, jacks up.

Just so you know, Entegra Coach is the new incarnation of Travel Supreme, reborn.

Anyone wanting confirmation can call the Entegra Techs at (800) 945-4787.

The techs are all TS guys (and gals) who moved over. Just ask.
Sun City Center, FL
Old 10-31-2013, 08:23 AM   #6

Oops..said the stowing backwards......jacks up, slides in.....is correct.
Sun City Center, FL
Old 10-31-2013, 08:48 AM   #7

By the way....I'm reminded that we should start the engine and fully inflate the air bags before retracting the slide walls!
Sun City Center, FL
Old 10-31-2013, 08:54 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmpbauer View Post
I have the same problem in my Entegra. If your last move when parking was in reverse, you'll have trouble airing back up because that leaves the valve open. Back up, and then pull forward a foot, then turn off the engine....resets the valve. Then turn off, then slides out, then Jacks down.

I had not previously read to not shut down, slides out and set the stabilizers if your last gear position was "reverse". That explains a problem I had last month. I backed into a site, sat for several days and had serious issues getting the bags to re-inflate. Thank you Pat for that bit of very important information.
Kuppajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:05 PM   #9

Level first then open,close then retract. Monaco/holiday rambler are backwards.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:42 PM   #10

OK. So as I understand it: the leveling on the TS is being done by the air bags so the jacks are not required for extension and retraction AS LONG AS THE AIR BAGS ARE INFLATED the slides can be extended or retracted.
1/ When arriving: at your parking spot always ensure the coach's final movement before parking brake is set is FORWARD.
2/ Turn off ignition and then extend slides.
3/ Level with jacks (Air bags will deflate as soon as jacks start down).

When departing:
4/ Retract jacks (so air bags CAN inflate).
5/ Start engine (so air bags WILL inflate).
6/ when air bags are inflated then retract slides.
Hope I have it right. Please let me know as it is a lot different from my previous coach. I have read my Spartan manual but there is no reference to the extension/ retraction sequence of the slides.
Thanks again, Ross
Old 11-01-2013, 03:26 PM   #11

If you're on level ground, no need to extend the jacks to put the slides out. If you're going to use the jacks, the big thing with the Equalizer system (if you used autolevel when extending the jacks) is when getting ready to leave, retract the slides first, then start the engine and let the air pressure come fully up, then hit retract all while the engine is still running. This ensures that the same air valves that dumped the air bags when using autolevel are now fully closed.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:27 AM   #12

Ross,
What do you have as a Leveling System on your TS? Is it the "Equalizer System"?
In the Travel Supreme that I have (2003 40DS02), the Air System has no valve that would stop the air bags from inflating if you were in Reverse as the last gear before shutting down. I have gone through my entire air system in great detail and (at least in my coach) and the only valve that would control ALL 4 Air Bags is the Master Inflate/Deflate valve under the firewall.

The Correct Procedure for my 2003 40DS02 is to extend jacks first then put the slides out. And conversely, Slides in then Jacks up.

Spartan has told me that starting the coach with the Jacks extended is helpful to build air pressure in the tanks before retracting the jacks. However, the jacks will not retract with the engine running.

What happens when the jacks are retracted in my coach is that the Master Inflate/Deflate valve (a Parker B3J0BB545C) gets an electrical signal from the Equalizer Panel and sends a Pilot Air Signal to the 3 wheel valves (2 Front, 1 Rear) that opens them to the air system and closes the air bag dump vent. THis allows the Air Pressure in the secondary air tank to inflate the Air Bags. The Rear part of the system has an accumulator tank that needs to build pressure as well.

I have a Diagram that I finally finished of the Complete Air System on my coach. I believe i may have sent you an early copy that was not complete. In troubleshooting my coach, I ultimately found that my Air Pressure would not come up to 125 psi and that the Steel Braided Air Line from the Air Compressor to the Air Dryer had a "Pin Hole" in it. You NEED to Check the Real Air Pressure with a Mechanical Air Gauge to determine what is going on. You can connect one at the Quick Connect Service Port in the basement compartment, since that port is fed from the Wet (Supply) tank. WHen you know what that pressure is, you can go further in troubleshooting.

Again, if you or anyone else wants the completed Diagram of the Air System that I have put together, just let me know. You can send me a private message or contact me at c.d.brengel @ att. net (remove the spaces from the address).

Hope this helps,

Drew
Old 11-02-2013, 05:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmpbauer View Post

I've never heard of that until now. I've backed in, shut down, and leveled the coach many times. Never have had any problem with the air suspension airing-up.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #14

Who knows...maybe it's a quirk of a Spartan Chassis. I can't imagine that being a problem in a fifth wheel....

It was never a problem in the Phaeton (FCCC chassis) either, but it is common on the SC.

Sun City Center, FL