Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2013, 03:47 AM   #1

The reflective backing in the headlights seems to be darkening (corrosion?). Googling the numbers moulded into the existing GM Guide headlight produces no results. A call to Fleetwood produced a 'maybe' on what the part number might be; different from the one imprinted on the glass. The customer service person thought there might have been an issue with increasing the voltage to the bulbs in that year, but Spartan, who supply the fuse and wiring harness, said that it was simply chassis voltage to the bulbs without any voltage regulation. I believe these may be from a mid to late 90's Cadillac. The plastic side light has the Cadillac logo. I am assuming there is no fix for the corrosion.

Existing headlight reads: Guide GM 16516176K. Rectangular with 9006 (low) and 9005 (high) bulbs plus turn signal bulb.

Any suggestions for tracking this down or finding an alternative would be appreciated.

As an immediate fix, I am considering upgrading the 9006 bulb to one of the higher output models such as the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra. There are several grades between the OEM and the Ultra with progressively higher output and shorter life expectancy. Any experience here would also be appreciated, as there seem to be far more choices than the market really needs.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2013, 05:06 AM   #2

How about some reflective paint such as used at night on signs ? Lowes has such things.....

homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 05:33 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A suggestion I have is go to www.rockauto.com. You say you think it was a Cadillac but don't know the model or year. It may take some time but pick the mfr. "Cadillac", then the next window will have you select the year and then the model of the vehicle.(It may ask engine size so just pick one) Next select "Body-Exterior" and scroll down to Headlight Assembly and click on that. If they are available for that year take a look at the pictures of the assembly and see if it matches what you have on your coach. As I said it may take some time looking at all the ones available as you said you didn't know what year Cadillac it was. I just purchased a set from them for our coach and what a difference it made in appearance. Great company to work with and the shipping was super fast. Good Luck I hope this might help a little.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:53 PM   #4

I have a 98 Eagle. Headlights are 93 to 96 Cad Fleetwood. If you eBay for them you will find many of them. They are pricy.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #5

SteveNSal, thanks for the tip. RockAuto.com is a great resource for exactly what I am researching.

It looks like the 94/95/96 Deville is a match. I see that they are around $60 each (used) on Ebay, $75 new on RockAuto and up to $400 new from other sources. Looking at the Ebay pictures, I see that some of the products offered suffer from the same reflector discoloration as mine.

Was the quality of the products you ordered comparable to OEM? Was the original glass and the replacement plastic?
Old 12-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #6

Not Deville, They are Fleetwood.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by devans47 View Post
Not Deville, They are Fleetwood.
Yes, thanks for pointing that out. The Fleetwood customer service rep I spoke to said DeVille several times during the conversation and planted that thought. They look almost identical from the front, but comparing my photos of the back to Ebay photos, I see that the bracket matches the Fleetwood.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #8

I would love to replace the headlights on my 2003 Pace Arrow by Fleetwood!
Any suggestions?

Stano
Stano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #9

Stano, I would start with a call to Fleetwood customer support in Decatur, IN to ask for a headlight vehicle year and model. Then double check by Googling pictures of that vehicle or check autotrader.com. Then photograph the back of your headlights, look up those headlights on Ebay, and compare your photos with the ads that have multiple photos and include the back (mounting bracket).
Old 01-06-2014, 07:08 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by devans47 View Post
I have a 98 Eagle. Headlights are 93 to 96 Cad Fleetwood. If you eBay for them you will find many of them. They are pricy.
Unless the Feds have cracked down on it most of the headlights sold on eBay are cheap knockoffs from overseas and not legal for use here even if they carry a DOT label. Even some of the manufacturers got duped by the knockoffs which fail prematurely (the reflective coating flakes off).

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote