Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2013, 09:11 PM   #1

Spartan and HR Questions

We just purchased a 39 foot 1996 Holiday Rambler Imperial built on a 1995 Spartan Mountain Master chassis. Getting it ready for a January or February trip from Washington State to south Texas, I've come up with a few questions.

The owners manuals instruct to check and maintain fluid level in the power steering reservoir. I can't find it. It appears that the power steering and the radiator fan are both powered by hydraulic fluid from the Allison MD3060 transmission. Can anyone steer me right on this?

The engine block heater is plugged into an outlet near the rear engine access and I've located a breaker on the 110 v panel in the bedroom. I've not found a switch anywhere. Does it have one?

One of my first acts will be to get all of the services up to date, and that includes fuel filters. I have located only one, on the starboard side of the 8.3 Cummins. Does anybody know if there is another hidden somewhere?

I sure would appreciate any information you might provide.

Don

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2013, 09:30 PM   #2

Don, welcome to the forum! I can't be sure but look on the driverside frame rail on the inside in the motor area. Spartan has installed some fuel filters there. Also look for a 12v fuel lift pump in this area. Some have screens on the inlet side that can become clogged and cause problems. A friend had this happen and in conversation he said he was having to replace the main injection pump, I suggested he check and sure enough this was the problem. Saved a lot of$$$.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #3
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonL View Post
We just purchased a 39 foot 1996 Holiday Rambler Imperial built on a 1995 Spartan Mountain Master chassis. Getting it ready for a January or February trip from Washington State to south Texas, I've come up with a few questions.

The owners manuals instruct to check and maintain fluid level in the power steering reservoir. I can't find it. It appears that the power steering and the radiator fan are both powered by hydraulic fluid from the Allison MD3060 transmission. Can anyone steer me right on this?

My MM chassis is newer than yours but the hydraulic fluid reservoir should be accessible when checking other engine fluids. My reservoir is a cannister about 22" tall x 10" diameter and right in front of you when the rear engine access hatch is opened. The hydraulic fluid serves the engine cooling fan and the power steering both.

The engine block heater is plugged into an outlet near the rear engine access and I've located a breaker on the 110 v panel in the bedroom. I've not found a switch anywhere. Does it have one?

Probably of no use to you on this but my switch is a wall switch in the BR on the wall.

One of my first acts will be to get all of the services up to date, and that includes fuel filters. I have located only one, on the starboard side of the 8.3 Cummins. Does anybody know if there is another hidden somewhere?
My 8.3L ISC Cummins also only has one fuel filter on the pax side of engine. # FS1022.

I sure would appreciate any information you might provide.

Don
Hope this helps some.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #4

Have the MM chassis. Resevoir is as described above.

It will have a cap/dipstick with the name Nelson on it. Unscrew it lightly and then pull up. Otherwise you can unthread the dipstick from the cap and it disappears into the resevoir (don't ask me how I know).

Your C8.3 may well have 2 fuel filters like mine. Look higher up on the passenger side of the engine and you may have a smaller fuel filter mounted there.

The C8.3 married to the Allison 3060 is an awesome combo. MM is a sweet ride.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:44 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Re the engine block heater switch. My recepticle is in the basement compartment that also contains the power cord...aft basement compartment, street side. The switch that activates it is above that compartment in the rear closet on the back street side corner of the cabinet.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:10 PM   #6

On the block heater you need to check if it is working. On both our London Aire and our Essex the block heaters burned out and I replaced them with pump heaters. Use engine heater since it connects to heater hose and not freeze plug like Cummins uses. Either turn it on for a couple of hours and see if you can feel the side of the block is warm or measure Watt-AMP draw which should be 1200 watts and 15 AMP if working. Your Spartan chassis will have both Primary [large filter] and small secondary hard to get fuel filter.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:28 AM   #7

Forgot to mention the block heater. On my unit it is actuated solely by the circuit breaker on the main A/C panel.

As you can see, all are configured differently.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:34 PM   #8

Thanks for all the input. It was very helpful. I found the hydraulic reservoir hidden on the passenger side ahead of (and hidden by) the coolant expansion tank. The coach does have a second fuel filter. It is located at the very end, outside surface of the left frame rail. And, I've not yet tested, but it appears that the block heater is controlled by the breaker.

I'm currently working on a new problem, but that's another post if I don't get it solved in the next day or two. Again, thanks for the help.

Don
Old 12-18-2013, 06:47 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonL View Post
...I'm currently working on a new problem, but that's another post if I don't get it solved in the next day or two...
Don
Another problem, I'm shocked!

Actually, these rigs are in one of the following three conditions:

- It just broke.
- You just fixed it.
- It's getting ready to break again.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:51 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
On my Spartan mm in my power bay I have a place to plug in my block heater. Spartan only uses the bottom outlet on the electrical receptacle the top part is not wired.
Not sure if yours is the same.
WesinRockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:33 PM   #11

Thanks Wes, I'll check it out.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:43 AM   #12

Check those ball joint boots. Spartan had a problem with those. My 2000 Dutch Star had rotten ones, had to replace the ball joints...$2000 fix.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
...Check those ball joint boots...
Good idea, call Spartan with your VIN.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:53 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
96 HR Imperial

On the 96 we had the secondary fuel filter was on the passenger side of the motor in the middle towards the top, filter should be a NAPA 3358. Primary fuel filter should be a 3405, Water 4071, Oil 1748 and holds 30 quarts, Air was a Wix 546891 . I will try to answer any other questions you have. Hope you enjoy yours as much as we did ours. Timex

timex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spartan