RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2019, 12:39 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgrigsby View Post
Did you have to use a bottom tap or will a standard one work? I bought a standard tap and bit set, then began to wonder....
Standard was able to get enough quality threads for the grease fitting to easily turn in and get tight.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2019, 08:44 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Yup, And when on the road, I add 15% for gear reduction losses via the 4X torque multiplier. or 3.4X input = output.

450 ft/lb dry = 360 360/3.4=106 ft/lb input
I invested years learning the toolmaker trade, then spent a couple decades working in a tool and die shop; never once did any instructor or any of my books ever say lubing threads before torquing was acceptable, quite the opposite is true. Anything else is speculation.

Now it's your money and your vehicle to do with as your please, I've stated my position.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:44 AM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I invested years learning the toolmaker trade, then spent a couple decades working in a tool and die shop; never once did any instructor or any of my books ever say lubing threads before torquing was acceptable, quite the opposite is true. Anything else is speculation.

Now it's your money and your vehicle to do with as your please, I've stated my position.
Ok, Ray, but even the article you linked to advises "When a bolt is lubricated - less torque is required to achieve bolt axial load or tension. Reduction of torques for lubricated vs. dry bolts are indicated in the table below."

Which would indicate "no problem, just adjust your torque accordingly".
Which I have.
Old 09-16-2019, 11:12 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Ok, Ray, but even the article you linked to advises "When a bolt is lubricated - less torque is required to achieve bolt axial load or tension. Reduction of torques for lubricated vs. dry bolts are indicated in the table below."

Which would indicate "no problem, just adjust your torque accordingly".
Which I have.
Mea Culpa, apparently I'm way behind the technology curve; proved myself wrong.
"Note that if torque specified for a dry or slightly oiled bolt torque is applied to a lubricated bolt - the bolt may overload and break."
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:34 PM   #117

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan authorized Lazydays in Tampa to replace ALL ball joints and tie rod ends.
Apparently this is a recall issue.
2002 UF USQ40WD.
Blue Grey Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:41 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grey Bus View Post
Spartan authorized Lazydays in Tampa to replace ALL ball joints and tie rod ends.
Apparently this is a recall issue.
2002 UF USQ40WD.
Huh?
For which vehicles?
So I drive to Florida and they do my 2002's for free?
If it is a recall, then the registered owner would have received notification via mail, or if they called Spartan, they can check if their VIN is on the Recall list.
I don't think this is the case.
Now, Spartan might have authorized as a customer goodwill policy adjustment to replace yours...if that is the case..congrats but I don't think they are doing that as a recall. If you have specifics - please let us know!
Old 09-17-2019, 07:31 AM   #119

Winnebago Owners Club
Dave L.
Lazydays told me that Spartan had a recall on these faulty ball joints and tie rod ends.
The DPO never bothered with it; nor the Winnebago hydraulic hose recall either.
I bought my UF in May 2018 . I do not know what years this recall applies to .
Blue Grey Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:25 AM   #120

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grey Bus View Post
Dave L.
Lazydays told me that Spartan had a recall on these faulty ball joints and tie rod ends.
The DPO never bothered with it; nor the Winnebago hydraulic hose recall either.
I bought my UF in May 2018 . I do not know what years this recall applies to .
Sure would like to have a Spartan recall number, or a copy of the paperwork stating this, or even the person's name at Lazydays that gave you this information!
Spartan Mountain Master
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:11 PM   #121

Call Spartan with your VIN and ask if there are any open recalls, or closed ones for balljoints / tie rod ends. They will definitely tell you if so. Against federal law to withhold.

But, I will bet there is none.

People call Technical Service Bulletins "recalls"...they are very different things. One is "helpful tips", and the other is a mandated free repair to address a safety issue. And then there are Policy Adjustments for just over warranty time, or a "good" customer, or a squeeky wheel, or repeat issue, or a "wink wink" issue that they are aware of and are trying to address it.

A recall is only for safety issues. Believe it or not, a balljoint boot might not be considered a safety concern. Just depends on the discussion between the OEM and NHTSA. Sometimes an OEM can "sell" NHTSA that they will "wink wink" the issue when a customer brings it to their attention.
Old 09-17-2019, 08:12 PM   #122

American Coach Owners Club
..... wondering if I can get Spartan to send me a check for the cost of my now replaced Ball joints.....

Send me a check!, I'll even settle for parts credit! Ha-ha

I'm thinking that either the poster here, or lazydays is confused about this. I'd have a hard time believing my 20+ y/o front end would be part of any recall.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 08:19 PM   #123

Recall----
Old 09-17-2019, 08:20 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
..... wondering if I can get Spartan to send me a check for the cost of my now replaced Ball joints.....

Send me a check!, I'll even settle for parts credit! Ha-ha

I'm thinking that either the poster here, or lazydays is confused about this. I'd have a hard time believing my 20+ y/o front end would be part of any recall.
It all depends on how many went bad and if NHTSA believes it to be a signficant safety hazard ie: a 20ton block of iron going 70 mph aimlessly down the road.
But, typically if there was to be a recall, it would have happened a long time ago.

I remember having to hire a whole bunch of folks to find old Renault Medallion cars in backyards, junkyards, etc to do a heater core replacement to increase the recall completion percentage. The old cores were breaking and could put hot water on the passenger.

Tags
spartan