Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2016, 06:45 PM   #15

I spoke with Spartan and they advised to lube them. They also advised that they have never had any break. My EVT (emergency vehicle technician) advised that my ball joints needed to be replaced. All of the covers are gone and they are dry. he greased them up for me. I have them scheduled to be replaced next week in Phoenix at $4000.00, ow that hurts. I lubed them up yesterday and the creaking and popping went away. I would like to get replacement with zerks, but alas I cannot. per the company replacing them Spartan ball joints are all that can go in. I will be getting some protectant for the covers as soon as they are replaced. Thank you all for your input.
meddiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2016, 07:28 PM   #16
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wow that's a heap of cash, I never would have thought that.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:55 PM   #17
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerBoater View Post
Whatever you do, go to a marine supply store and get a can of Boeshield T-9.

This is a lubricant developed by Boeing that has excellent wicking properties and will lubricate your ball joints and stop the noise that you are experiencing now.

Spray the upper and lower liberally.

You may have to go to Amazon or some other online vendor to get this product as you are in a landlocked state.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:00 PM   #18
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by meddiver View Post
I spoke with Spartan and they advised to lube them. They also advised that they have never had any break. My EVT (emergency vehicle technician) advised that my ball joints needed to be replaced. All of the covers are gone and they are dry. he greased them up for me. I have them scheduled to be replaced next week in Phoenix at $4000.00, ow that hurts. I lubed them up yesterday and the creaking and popping went away. I would like to get replacement with zerks, but alas I cannot. per the company replacing them Spartan ball joints are all that can go in. I will be getting some protectant for the covers as soon as they are replaced. Thank you all for your input.

Ours were replaced about (2) years ago by Cummins-Onan (an authorized Spartan service center) in the Kansas City area. The pricing for replacement and a front end alignment should be in the $2500-$3000 range. $4000 is waaaaay out of line.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:10 PM   #19

A couple years ago one member had his ball joints replaced at the Spartan factory for $2,000. Of course you must be within a days drive or it wouldn't save much, but they do have authorized service centers nationwide.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:14 PM   #20

Quote:

I had mine replaced a couple of years ago. Prior to, I spoke to Spartan and they quoted me $2000 which included an alignment if required. Since I live in Canada, I had a local Spartan Authorized shop do them and they charged me $3000 CDN.
So, my point is, your EVT is pretty expensive. If I were you, I'd do a little searching.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:36 AM   #21
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
A couple years ago one member had his ball joints replaced at the Spartan factory for $2,000. Of course you must be within a days drive or it wouldn't save much, but they do have authorized service centers nationwide.
Ray,

Thank you for that very informative reference link. Should be very useful for us owners of Spartan chassis. Maybe 007 would consider placing it in his online "hot diggity" list if it isn't already there.
Old 11-08-2016, 07:24 AM   #22

I am having them replaced at East Valley RV in Apache Junction . They were the only ones on the west of the Mississippi that could g et me in. The Freightliner dealer in Phoenix quoted over $ 5000.00
meddiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 10:15 PM   #23

Quote:
I am having them replaced at East Valley RV in Apache Junction . They were the only ones on the west of the Mississippi that could g et me in. The Freightliner dealer in Phoenix quoted over $ 5000.00
Keep in mind, any HDT service center can replace ball joints, doesn't have to be a MH place. Fire trucks built on a Spartan chassis have ball joints too, they use HDT service centers.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Old 11-09-2016, 05:55 AM   #24

Aguire paint and body in Buda TX quoted me 8 or 9 thousand dollars. I ended up buying the ball joints from Spartan, and getting the special tool from Reyco Granning. Took it to Atlas springs in Austin. Cost around $2k all together.
neilking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:16 AM   #25

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilking View Post
Aguire paint and body in Buda TX quoted me 8 or 9 thousand dollars. I ended up buying the ball joints from Spartan, and getting the special tool from Reyco Granning. Took it to Atlas springs in Austin. Cost around $2k all together.
Do you have a mfg. or part number of the tool? Or a pic of it?
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:24 AM   #26

Had to send it back. It was custom machined. Pretty cool tool. Free loan of tool just pay shipping.
neilking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 10:43 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
Do you have a mfg. or part number of the tool? Or a pic of it?
Several auto-parts stores loan tools. If they don't have it, they buy one then loan it to you. Of course your CC is charged the full purchase price, you get a refund upon return. Don't know if they would spring for this tool though.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:16 PM   #28

Rexhall Owners Group
Have you checked with Massey diesel in phoenix? They work on spartan chassis and RVs
JohnInAz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spartan