Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2012, 04:51 PM   #1

Spartan Chassis: Is This True or Just Gorilla Marketing?

While doing some research regarding motor-homes, I ran across this particular video:

and the narrator, who is an employee of said company doing the review, stated the following about Spartan/Freightliner chassis:

* Decades old technology!
* Not designed for today's slide-outs!

Now, I'm familiar with pointing out subtle differences between two (2) coaches, but these comments sorta struck me as odd...and quite frankly, got me thinking that this person may not have their 'facts' straight!

So, I ask...how accurate are these statements?

Thanks,

RogueRVer

RogueRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2012, 06:08 PM   #2

It's simply an ad for Winnebago, much of which is purely personal preference or Barbra Steisand.

Besides, I would never trust somebody who does not know that both 38 and 42 are more than one, and thus plural. Therefore they should be pronounced "38 and 42 feet" not "38 and 42 foot."
Old 04-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
The "value" of the differences is largely a matter of opinion ...which is why different mfg'ers do things differently ...and some is a matter of cost and/or ease of the build process. Most choices are a trade off with all the above involved. Of course, the point about Freightliner/Spartan raised rail chassis being older technology than their new Freightliner Maxum chassis design is a fact ...but that does not automatically mean newer is better. They only mention what they want you to notice ...there are other things you want to notice also.

I have a Winnnebago on a Spartan chassis and I like it very much ...and, I PREFER mine to their new offerings for reasons NOT mentioned in that video.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
"...Of course, the point about Freightliner/Spartan raised rail chassis being older technology than their new Freightliner Maxum chassis design is a fact ...but that does not automatically mean newer is better.."
Thanks for the clarification!

I will say this however....with all the WEIGHT ABOVE the chassis, regardless of make/model, I fail to see how one can really be 'better' and/or "more stable" than someone else!

Than again, I never graduated w/a physics degree, so what do I know! LOL!

RogueRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:54 AM   #5

Quite possibly the worst attempt at advertising I have ever seen. During the video the one thing you never see is the coaches they are selling, only the "inferior" product the competition makes. They never tell you about how great their unit is. Sound like a political ad to me, nothing but "the other guy sucks". I hope this dealer didn't pay for this commercial.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It was an interesting video.
The first thing I recognized was how much more storage I have on my Spartan chassis than was demonstrated it the above video.
Regarding ride characteristics I have nothing to compare to as my last two MHs have been Spartan chassis. My current one has Comfort Drive which is amazing. I have no complaints.
The other concern regarding manufacturer chassis in the current economy is replacement parts if the Manufacturer goes out of business. Ask See Ya owners. All those proprietary parts go bye bye. The benefit of Freightliner and Spartan is their business is not limited to the RV industry. So my advise is to be cautious of OEM chassis.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:15 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Note that this ad comes from a dealer (Lichtsinn), not Winnebago themselves.

Second, the Maxxum chassis they are touting is no more than the Freightliner modular chassis, which has had its mid-section tailored for Winnie. Other manufacturers use that same chassis and tailor it to their specs. The Discovery, however, does use the Raised Rail type of chassis. Whether that is better or worse than any other design is debatable, but that's what competition is all about.

In addition to the Modular XC chassis, Freightliner makes a Raised Rail, a drop or Lowered rail and a Straight rail - whatever the motorhme builder thinks is best for their product. Price is one of the criteria. Spartan also makes a modular chassis (Fleetwood and American Coach use it) as well as Raised Rail.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, spartan