Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2014, 06:20 PM   #1

Spartan Chassis Noise

Have very irritating popping noise coming from what sounds like the rear of chassis on 2014 Anthem when turning left or right or when hitting a bump in the road. Any ideas what this may be?
SonnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2014, 08:38 PM   #2

Ive not heard that noise with my Spartan but I have a rattle only on certain slightly bumpy roads where there is a rattle like a metal bar is bouncing on a metal surface coming from the basement, about mid couch area. I have reloaded my basement and looked at everything but I still can't find it.
Finally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:33 PM   #3

I would be looking for loose bolts in the rear axle area, sounds like rear end might be moving around when it gets in abind.
girlydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 12:49 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan recommends re-torquing the chassis after 5K miles. Having that done might correct the issue.
Kuppajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:25 PM   #5

It's likely due to the rear drive axle and or the tag shift during the turn. The popping is not a failing part but is a sign of lack of lubricant in the bearing surfaces. You may be able to verify this by dumping your tag axle in a tight turn and see if this has any effect on the noise, by that I mean a change in the sound or absents in the sound. It would be very difficult to tell if the sound is from the drive or tag since you can't be under the coach when it happens. But you can try servicing/lubricating the axles mounting and hinge points from under the coach, using the grease fittings and some oil lube at the points that have no fittings. You may be lucky enough to see a dry spot with some corrosion around it at the point that is causing the noise. Lube that and the problem could be resolved. Good luck.....
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:10 AM   #6

Spartan popping from rear of RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyB View Post
Have very irritating popping noise coming from what sounds like the rear of chassis on 2014 Anthem when turning left or right or when hitting a bump in the road. Any ideas what this may be?
I have a similar popping noise from the rear of my 2014 Entegra Anthem RV. It pops when I turn right and does not pop again until I turn Left. I held down on the Tag release button and it made no difference. I have taken to the a Chassis Truck repair who is Spartan authorized and they looked everywhere. They did notice when turning right that the rear wheels locked up and turning left the opposite wheels locked up. They are asking Spartan permission to look in the rear end housing to see if anything wrong.
donb CB Iowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyB View Post
I think most CoachCare shops are authorized Spartan repair centers. Since you are still under the OEM warranty, you might look up an authorized repair center near you on Spartans website. Sounds like the rear suspension is a likely candidate.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, spartan