Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2019, 12:52 AM   #1

Spartan Chassis vs Freightliner

I currently own a Tiffin Allegro Bus, but I am thinking about getting a Newmar Dutch Star 4311 which has the option of a Spartan chassis or a Freight liner chassis. Does anyone have any input on which is the better choice?
jackson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2019, 10:21 AM   #2

Spartan Chassis vs Freightliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson1 View Post
I currently own a Tiffin Allegro Bus, but I am thinking about getting a Newmar Dutch Star 4311 which has the option of a Spartan chassis or a Freight liner chassis. Does anyone have any input on which is the better choice?

OOOOOOOOOH
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Please don’t. Not again.

This is THE #1 brutal blood bath that creates more hatred than any other topic I’ve seen to date. Please go to the top section as well as a forum search and you’ll find over a thousand posts on this subject that’s spanned years and will leave you without a conclusion.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:59 PM   #3

I am willing to share my experience and knowledge on which chassis I would select and why. We have owned 3 new Newmar's in the last 22 years all on Spartan chassis. In 97 the first a London Aire, then in 04 a Essex and the current coach a 18 LA with the Spartan K3 chassis and 605 engine. The customer service from day one has been 1st class. I do almost all our service and when I call the answer man is on the other end. There is a difference and many FL owners say there isn't. From frame rails, wiring, engineering, location of service items and quality of build would be my answer. After driving 250K miles with a Spartan chassis on our Newmar's that is our chassis of choice. There is a up charge for the Spartan chassis but starting in 19 they increased the warranty to 5 years and 75K miles.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
I am willing to share my experience and knowledge on which chassis I would select and why. We have owned 3 new Newmar's in the last 22 years all on Spartan chassis. In 97 the first a London Aire, then in 04 a Essex and the current coach a 18 LA with the Spartan K3 chassis and 605 engine. The customer service from day one has been 1st class. I do almost all our service and when I call the answer man is on the other end. There is a difference and many FL owners say there isn't. From frame rails, wiring, engineering, location of service items and quality of build would be my answer. After driving 250K miles with a Spartan chassis on our Newmar's that is our chassis of choice. There is a up charge for the Spartan chassis but starting in 19 they increased the warranty to 5 years and 75K miles.
Newmar Man
Thanks for your reply to my inquiry re: spartan vs. freight liner chassis. I have another subject that has me really confused. I have talked to six or so people about it from Newmar owners to Newmar salesmen to Newmar service managers and I am more confused after talking to them than I was when I started. It pertains to the proper procedure for deploying and retracting the sides and leveling jacks after pulling into a site. You indicated that you have had several Newmars and so I would appreciate any input you can supply.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:47 PM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for your reply to my inquiry re: spartan vs. freight liner chassis. I have another subject that has me really confused. I have talked to six or so people about it from Newmar owners to Newmar salesmen to Newmar service managers and I am more confused after talking to them than I was when I started. It pertains to the proper procedure for deploying and retracting the sides and leveling jacks after pulling into a site. You indicated that you have had several Newmars and so I would appreciate any input you can supply.
I have an American Eagle on a Spartan chassis. For extending and retracting the slides, the procedure to use is in the Spartan Chassis manual. The Eagle manual states to refer to the Spartan manual for the procedure. Imagine Newmar would be the same.
AE Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:58 PM   #6

jackson1 We have owned 3 new Newmar's since 97 with our current coach a 18 London Aire. Till around 2014 and 15 it was recommend by Newmar to release air from air bags, level coach and then bring slides out. Again around that 14 or 15 year mark changed their recommendation to extend slide outs when at full air (ride height) and then level coach after slide are out. One needs to remember there are some locations that are so on level you shouldn't use that site because you could damage your slide out assembly.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
jackson1 We have owned 3 new Newmar's since 97 with our current coach a 18 London Aire. Till around 2014 and 15 it was recommend by Newmar to release air from air bags, level coach and then bring slides out. Again around that 14 or 15 year mark changed their recommendation to extend slide outs when at full air (ride height) and then level coach after slide are out. One needs to remember there are some locations that are so on level you shouldn't use that site because you could damage your slide out assembly.
Do you mean "some locations that are so on level" or do you mean so out of level? Also, I received feedback both from a service manager at a dealership and from Newmar's customer service phone line pertaining to inspecting the "slide reveals" to make sure that there is an even gap around the slides before putting them out. If the gaps are not even, then they said to deploy the jacks first to see if that corrects the situation and then put the slides out. If it doesn't correct the situation, they then said to get off the site.
Also, if the slides are extended according the 14 or 15 year mark recommendation, what then would be the recommended procedure to retract the slides when you are leaving the site? Would you air the bags up, retract the slides and then finally retract the jacks? Or alternatively, would you retract the jacks first and then air the bags up and finally retract the slides? I know that this is confusing but this the kind of feedback that I have been getting. Thanks again.
BTW, I am considering getting a 2020 London Are, but before I invest that kind of money, I want to make sure that I fully understand this whole slide/jack/slide reveal issue.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:07 AM   #8

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by AE Wanderer View Post
I have an American Eagle on a Spartan chassis. For extending and retracting the slides, the procedure to use is in the Spartan Chassis manual. The Eagle manual states to refer to the Spartan manual for the procedure. Imagine Newmar would be the same.
Spartan doesn't build the house so I can't imagine going to them for slide out advice or procedures.

Entegra coaches are virtually all built on a Spartan chassis. The house is constructed and the slides are installed by Entegra with the chassis at ride height i.e. aired up. For this reason, and because of Entegra's tight flush slide tolerances, the slides are always extended and retracted with the coach at ride height. Other coach brands may specify otherwise.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 06:20 AM   #9

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Do you mean "some locations that are so on level" or do you mean so out of level? Also, I received feedback both from a service manager at a dealership and from Newmar's customer service phone line pertaining to inspecting the "slide reveals" to make sure that there is an even gap around the slides before putting them out. If the gaps are not even, then they said to deploy the jacks first to see if that corrects the situation and then put the slides out. If it doesn't correct the situation, they then said to get off the site.
Also, if the slides are extended according the 14 or 15 year mark recommendation, what then would be the recommended procedure to retract the slides when you are leaving the site? Would you air the bags up, retract the slides and then finally retract the jacks? Or alternatively, would you retract the jacks first and then air the bags up and finally retract the slides? I know that this is confusing but this the kind of feedback that I have been getting. Thanks again.
BTW, I am considering getting a 2020 London Are, but before I invest that kind of money, I want to make sure that I fully understand this whole slide/jack/slide reveal issue.
This is going to be coach brand specific not chassis specific.

On my coach (Spartan chassis) when arriving at a CG:

1. extend the slides
2. level the coach with the jacks or leave it on the air bags if the site is level enough and we're only staying overnight

When departing a CG:

1. if on the air bags, retract the slides
2. if on the jacks: a. start the engine to build up air in the tanks; b. retract the jacks and allow the coach to come to ride height; c. retract the slides

As I said in a different post on this thread Entegra slides are always extended and retracted while the coach is at ride height; never while on the jacks.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 06:47 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Blue View Post
Spartan doesn't build the house so I can't imagine going to them for slide out advice or procedures.

Entegra coaches are virtually all built on a Spartan chassis. The house is constructed and the slides are installed by Entegra with the chassis at ride height i.e. aired up. For this reason, and because of Entegra's tight flush slide tolerances, the slides are always extended and retracted with the coach at ride height. Other coach brands may specify otherwise.

X2. This is what Entegra recommends.

KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 08:06 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
I really think it's the luck of the draw on which chassis will end up being better...
We've had 4 DP's dating back to 99 Dutch Star ,a 04 Ma ,12 Am Tradition and a 17 MA....We've put approx 270,000 miles between the four of them
The first three ,we're on Spartans and the last a Fl....
All 3 Spartans had leaky radiators that had to taken out and repaired...2 of the 3 had to have the Bell Cranks replaced (Actually was an article on here i.e. To a KA....his failed completely in a campground) and they have a historical history on the tie rod ends and their boots falling apart
Took the 04 to Spartan for service...and had many of the above items repaired there....and tires mounted......Excellent Service....
But took the 12 there for similar service plus an air leak and I asked them to check for a Radiator Leak ...Tech told us we were OK after service..asked about the air and radiator leaks....Said looked good to him
..Was The Worst Service we received at Any RV Dealer....10 days later stuck with both leaks...required extensive radiator work and air tank had a leak at a bad weld...required replacement
So Far FL,has had one issue with a PCM and service center R & R it
The FL is only in service 2 1/2 years,with 33,500 miles on it.....

So Far happy with FL ......But,I believe either chassis with a new DS on it will be a great Bus......Have no Fear....The ride on either chassis has great and I really haven't seen a noticeable difference in the overall handling...but again,I have been associated with trucks most of my life...and a RV of this Quality is quite an improvement......C
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:24 AM   #12

A number of FL chassis starting in 2015 and going to at least 2019 had their radiator fan assembly brake and go through the radiator and CAC. When we go to FMCA and NKK rallies and see the chassis on display for Spartan and FL we see the difference in build strength in favor of Spartan. Between frame thickness, cross members, fan assembly brackets and wiring you can see the difference and why it would cost more to build a Spartan chassis.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Blue View Post
This is going to be coach brand specific not chassis specific.

On my coach (Spartan chassis) when arriving at a CG:

1. extend the slides
2. level the coach with the jacks or leave it on the air bags if the site is level enough and we're only staying overnight

When departing a CG:

1. if on the air bags, retract the slides
2. if on the jacks: a. start the engine to build up air in the tanks; b. retract the jacks and allow the coach to come to ride height; c. retract the slides

As I said in a different post on this thread Entegra slides are always extended and retracted while the coach is at ride height; never while on the jacks.
Thanks, your explanation clarifies a lot for me. Do you have any input on the point made to me by Newmar customer support re: inspecting "slide reveals" to determine if the gaps are all even before extending the slides and if they aren't then level with the jacks to see if that corrects the situation? It seems to me that is contrary to the point of not extending or retracting the slides while up on the jacks. I appreciate your input.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:32 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Don’t blink.

Quote:
Owned both...go with Spartan w/o hesitation.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spartan