Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Spartan Factory Training

Heading off this Sunday to Charlotte, MI for the owner's training course. Anyone been there with suggestions on things to do during the evenings?

Anyone else going?
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2013, 07:18 AM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
I'm looking for that same info!
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmpbauer View Post
I'm looking for that same info!
Are you going then?
Old 05-04-2013, 05:17 PM   #4

I'm planning on going to Charlotte to have my chassis serviced, and thinking about doing the training also. Could you please post your thoughts on how the training went when you are done. Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post

Are you going then?
No, I'm going 3rd week July
Sun City Center, FL
Old 05-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Heading off this Sunday to Charlotte, MI for the owner's training course. Anyone been there with suggestions on things to do during the evenings?

Anyone else going?
The DW and I participated in the class this time last year. The group of seven coaches became very good social friends and we ended up going out as a group to dinner 2 nights, 1 night was occupied with coach training and the other 2 nights we just circled the wagons and hung out together. Some folks had service work done while there and that slipped into the evenings also. Maybe we had a lucky group but we developed some great friendships and still get together occasionally. There are some good food places nearby, but not a lot else. I think the school as an education was spot on and making friends was a no cost extra.
tcfamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Really nice program so far. Parking area was a big tight. No water or sewer but on Wednesday they bring in a honey wagon.

Day 1 starts with continental breakfast (hot stuff) at 7:30, factory tour and classroom from 8:00 to noon, free lunch for an hour then class until about 4:30. At 6:00 we had a dinner with several SC employees whom brought in some home cooked stuff. YUM YUM. Very nice touch.

Day 2 another continental breakfast (cold stuff like fruit, bagels and such) classroom, noon lunch with prime rib, cheese lasagna , cheese cake and other goodies. Tonight (5-8pm) 1/2 the group will have 3 hour walk around of coaches with a light dinner before. The second 1/2 of us will have it tomorrow.

The details of the class are impressive. Chassis in classroom along with axle cutaways, hydraulic mockups and parts samples. GREAT!

I had my coach scheduled for 44 point check. That started my optional money pump system. LOL Several items were found that needed attention. Nothing crazy bad but needs to be addressed so might as well get it done now. Still, it all adds up quickly. Since this is my first annual service, might as well get it all done right and on the same schedule.

Several Entagra MHs. Mine is probably 5 years older then the rest.

Back to class for me now.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Lots of general thoughts.

First. It doesn't matter whether it is Spartan or Freightliner. If you can attend the chassis manufacturer course...DO IT!

I'm not even sure where to begin but so I will ramble on. Keep in mind that what we learned was straight from the folks that provide the engineering and support the product. Lots of little odds and ends were learned. I know that there are some that may disagree with some things I may say but that is ok. For the most point, I have to listen to the folks that build these things.

A few tidbits:

1. Auto slack adjusters are cool! Best thing to do is at least with every start to release the park brake and mash the service brake to the floor. Do that every time and the brakes will stay adjusted. If some moron tells you they can adjust your brakes...RUN!!!

2. Jake/exhaust brakes...leave them OFF until you really need them. Over use of these can cause glazing of the service brakes because they aren't used enough to generate enough heat to prevent glazing. When you start hearing them squeak, go out and find a road where you can get up to about 40 MPH and then apply firm braking (not panic braking) down to 10 MPH or so. Repeat about 3 times. Use interstate exits as a time to apply them in a similar manner to do the same.

3. While the Alison tranny is smart...it ain't THAT smart. Attack hills by down gearing and rev it. In respect to the side radiator and the ISL engine, don't forget that if you lug the engine, you reduce the RPMs of the radiator fan which affects cooling.

4. Purge your ABS valves every start. Press the service brake and then turn the key on without starting it. You will hear the ABS valves pop, 2 per axle in a criss cross pattern. This exercises them regularly.

5. If the DPF light comes on then you need to regenerate it. The best way is to "drive it like you stole it". Consider dropping 2 gears and flooring it until the the light goes out. Waiting too long can require replacement.

6. Mashing the service brake before use of he park brake increases the park brake effectiveness.

7. When getting an alignment, if they don't do ride height first it is a big mistake.

I have to admit, I got so much stuff spinning in my head it is crazy. It is gonna take some time to digest it all.

Later I will talk more about other aspects of the class.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I am scheduled to attend the Spartan school in July of this year. I realize their is a lot of data shared any suggestions of how to maximize my learning experience?

Mike
Phoenix
n1104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1104 View Post
I am scheduled to attend the Spartan school in July of this year. I realize their is a lot of data shared any suggestions of how to maximize my learning experience?

Mike
Phoenix
Not really. Enjoy the trip and get there early if you can. Parking is tight and you will need blocks if you use your jacks. If you can work it out, it appears there is normally space to park every other spot. When we got there they had assigned parking spaces but I think they learned their lesson on that one. You will get an email with a bit more details.

Remember that you will not have any water or sewer hook ups but they will coordinate a honey wagon during the noon hour on Wednesday. If you have scheduled yourself for a major inspection and/or service they will start coming out to get coaches as early as 7 am. They really busted there butts to coordinate service with your class schedule that includes time UNDER the bus and 2 driving sessions.

If you are in group 1 and don't have any service needs after Thursday you are done. Group 2 finishes on Friday morning with road driving but has Thursday afternoon open as free time.

I don't think you will need to bone up on anything going into the classroom. They cover a lot and may provide some rationale on why some of the things you have been told aren't really the most accurate.

Monday evening is a pot luck where the Spartan folks bring in some home cooking and other dishes. It is a nice meet-n-greet opportunity. Breakfast and lunch provided Monday through Thursday.

All in all, the classroom and time under the bus help demystify many things for me. You should have a good time both with the material and the instructors.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:59 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
X2 on all Don is saying ... a great course.

Don, was there really a Newmar there ... oh yeah ... guess there was

Here's to you continuing to press towards full time-dom. Hope your home sale goes well.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
X2 on all Don is saying ... a great course.

Don, was there really a Newmar there ... oh yeah ... guess there was

Here's to you continuing to press towards full time-dom. Hope your home sale goes well.
Yes Dave...there was 2 of us. LOL. We had our last garage sale today and have settled into our CG. House was listed Friday and shown twice already!

Good times ahead!
Old 07-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #13

DW and I are attending Spartan Owner Training this week. What a valuable week it has been. AWESOME!......and it's only Wednesday!

IF YOU HAVEN'T HAD YOUR SUSPENSION BOLTS RE-TORQUED, YOU NEED TO! After Spartan sends the chassis and Entegra adds the house, drive the coach 3-5,000 miles and then have an approved Spartan Service Center re-torque the bolts. I saw the witness marks, and it was significant. Also get it lubed and fill all the fluids. Better yet, go to the school. You'll know a lot more about your coach systems, and a whole lot more about what service techs are good and who to run from. You'll also be better prepared for roadside emergencies.
Sun City Center, FL

Tags
spartan