Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2018, 02:29 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Stemco Hubs

Changed the front axle and tag axles to removable fill plug hubs. What came on our 17 Newmar LA was hard plastic center caps. Rather than have to move MH to add fluid via Allen wrench plug fill, this makes it simple and took me an hour to change 4 hubs and top of with fluid.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2603.jpg
Views:	658
Size:	314.2 KB
ID:	198135Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2604.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	339.9 KB
ID:	198136
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2018, 03:38 PM   #2

Smart move.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:40 PM   #3

We have found on are Newmar's on Spartan chassis to only fill to the add line because as the oil heats up it will move to the full line. Could end up with a leak by over filling.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 06:52 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
We have found on are Newmar's on Spartan chassis to only fill to the add line because as the oil heats up it will move to the full line. Could end up with a leak by over filling.

This is true, I can only speak of 17 Spartan K3 chassis, for some reason Spartan chose a hard red plastic non-removable center plug/cap. Also to add or change fluid before no L shaped Allen wrench I had would fit between plug and wheel. I cut one down with dremel tool. But being around trucks I knew stemco made a removable plug. When I called, I asked why had they not used the removable plug type? Did not get a clear answer!
Old 01-07-2019, 12:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakebuster View Post
Changed the front axle and tag axles to removable fill plug hubs. What came on our 17 Newmar LA was hard plastic center caps. Rather than have to move MH to add fluid via Allen wrench plug fill, this makes it simple and took me an hour to change 4 hubs and top of with fluid.Attachment 198135Attachment 198136
Hello David,

I realize this is an old thread but I have the same model coach and I need to change one of the hub covers as you did on my tag axle. Question: Where did you purchase the Semco hub cover (p/n 343-4046)? I searched Amazon but no one carries that number.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quinton Miller
2017 LADP 4533 Spartan Chassis
Old 01-07-2019, 01:19 PM   #6

Get original stemco parts i bought knockoffs from amazon and the the push in red caps were so cheap and loose they were letting water in. i put the old stemco plugs back in and works great.

Heres link to stemco sales reps
Sales Rep Locator | STEMCO
Old 01-07-2019, 07:29 PM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
Do you have a heavy truck or trailer dealership in your area? They all are stemco distubutors or able to order it....
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:32 AM   #8

NAPA auto is a great source.

After reading this I called our local NAPA in cresent city this am and he said they have several options.

Marengo, mt gilliad and Mansfield Ohio have been a sourse also.

Any truck service should work.

Parts desk.

Peterbilt
Volvo
Mack truck etc. Etc. will take care of you also.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:59 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wqmiller View Post
Hello David,

I realize this is an old thread but I have the same model coach and I need to change one of the hub covers as you did on my tag axle. Question: Where did you purchase the Semco hub cover (p/n 343-4046)? I searched Amazon but no one carries that number.

Quinton Miller

https://www.rvchassisparts.com:8443/...is/runApp?id=5

This where I purchase chassis parts, including window with rubber center plug for $9.72 a piece.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:32 PM   #10

There are 2 types of see-thru Stemco hub caps, one has 5 screws the other has 6 screws to hold them. Just take a picture of yours, show it to the parts man and they know the rest.
Slowly-slowly fill to full line, the oil is very thick and takes a while to level out. If anyone is running them to the add mark they can expect future bearing problems.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:10 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wqmiller View Post
Hello David,

Quinton Miller

359-5995
Manufacturer:STEMCO
Description:
Kit, Hub Cap Window Kit, 3-1/2" Diameter (Please allow 7 days for handling. If you wish to expedite, please call us.)
$7.12 This is for the window and gasket only the other part number was for entire hub, as I stripped out Allen nut on my 1st try!
Old 01-17-2019, 01:30 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
There are 2 types of see-thru Stemco hub caps, one has 5 screws the other has 6 screws to hold them. Just take a picture of yours, show it to the parts man and they know the rest.
Slowly-slowly fill to full line, the oil is very thick and takes a while to level out. If anyone is running them to the add mark they can expect future bearing problems.
Spartans recommendation for the last few years has been to fill the hubs to a point in between the add and full lines.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:54 PM   #13

American Coach Owners Club
I think what Ray means is once you fill to full mark, wait sever minutes to allow the lube to flow though the bearings to make sure the oil level is accurate.

....I can't imagine Spartan, or any mfg saying it's ok to run with low oil level. My thinking is like yours, as long as the oil level is between the full and add it's ok....

....as posted make sure the rubber plug vent hole is clear when you do scheduled maintenance.
Peace!
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
Spartans recommendation for the last few years has been to fill the hubs to a point in between the add and full lines.
Would you please copy N past a link to that change? I've never seen the change.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote