Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2008, 02:13 AM   #1

Just had the second seal replaced on the driver's side tag. Started leaking after about 400 miles, just like the previous ones.

Has anyone had experience with finding the right solution for this? Coach is still under warranty and Spartan has authorized all the repairs, but they keep on leaking.

Any suggestions for when I call Spartan on this?
BCook57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2008, 05:17 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Bob - Don't know what chassis you have - we have the K2 (2007) and were at Spartan in Charlotte, MI last month for service when they found the tag seal leaking. Second time it has been replaced, this is the first time by Spartan. But, next time you are in MI call for an appt at Spartan and get them to look at it.

Mark

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 04:28 PM   #3

Mark,
We have an '07 Dutch Star sitting on the regular Mountain Master chassis, I believe. Good suggestion - I think I'll just stop in Charlotte on my way back to northern Michigan in early October.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:33 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Bob - this is WAY off topic but - aren't you suppose to be heading south for the winter?!?!?!?!?!

We will summer next year in Bellaire, MI where my wife's cousin lives. What a beautiful part of the state.

Mark

PS they are doing some serious road work near the street for Spartan so call first and get directions. You REALLY don't want to get into that mess. Spartan works by appt. only. So call first.

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 05:53 PM   #5

Probably would have been heading south by now, but we have been spending time south of Knoxville, Tellico Lake to be exact, looking for a house. We're going to end up with one house and the motor home, and have decided that Tennessee will be the place. But, we haven't found anything we really like yet.

We've been at a KOA in Sweetwater, TN for the past 10 days or so.

We will spend the winter back in our condo in Estero if we don't find anything, and it's looking like it will be back to Fla, right now.

But, I'm going to spend the rest of October back at our "one unit campground" that I put in this Spring near Empire, MI, and head to Florida in time to vote.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:08 PM   #6

I just got started on this blog today. Good stuff. I just noticed today that my rear tag on the passenger's side has a leaking seal. I have a 2005 Essex and it is out of warranty. Do you know if this is a user replaceable part? I went to the Stemco web page but it was not of much help. I will call Spartan in the morning to see what they can tell me. Any assistance from this forum would be appreciated.
Texas Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:52 PM   #7

Well folks - I had my tag burn up and melt and had the bearings replaced three times - yesterday one of the roaming Spartan teams doing fan and tow upgrades replaced my bearing sets - the fouth replacement (first by Spartan).

Generally my experience has been that when a shop replaces the bearings they misread the instructions (my theory) and set the end play too tight. The way the instructions read (apparently) is that you set the end play tight then back it off to around three thousanths or so - the shops that did mine apparnety set the initial end play to 0 to one thousandth and left it there then nver backed it off - don't know if this proceedure is standard in the industry or unique to our tags but it sure looks to me that the non Sparatn techs who did mine did not do it correctly.

If you have a non Spartan tech do your wook, make sure they follow the proceedure to a "T" and not wing it...as the set the Sparatn folks just replaced was set too tight and this is after the shop had recieved instructions and parts from Spartan

Wally
2007 Zephyr 45 QEZ
Spartan K2
wpitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:13 AM   #8

For what it's worth I was at Spartan in July and among other things I was getting excess tire wear on the outer edge of the right front tire. Spartan adjusted the front bearing seals. Just recently I'm starting to leak fluid from both front wheels out aroung the hub cap. Going to Coach Care this coming Tues for a look see.
Old 09-26-2009, 04:14 PM   #9

The saga continues....Coach care inspected the fronts and called Spartan and they said they had replaced the Stemco Bearings in July when I was there. Wrong. They merely adjusted them and added a small amout of lubricant. Coach care was told to tighten the fronts and "drive it a while". Three hundred miles and the left front was leaking again. I cleaned it off and another four hundred miles and it is still leaking. Back to Coach Care Tuesday. I'm losing confindence in Spartan which is disappointing since I have been one of their loyal supporters.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:20 AM   #10

Returned the unit to Coach Care/ North KC. They pulled the front hub cap and found the leak around the red cap in the center of the hub. After 800 miles the Stemco fluid was down to the "low" mark. Left the coach for Coach Care to call Spartan for directions. Progress..but slow and not very convenient.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:46 AM   #11
a k

Newmar Owners Club
Is it leaking at the red rubber vent or around the gasket with the bolts thru it?

If it's leaking out of the red pressure vent it is probably overheating and building up pressure. When running down the road or just sitting the fluid shouldn't even touch the vent.

If you have trouble from Spartan you need to get in contact with Webb Wheel that made the hub. They know what there talking about. They are in Alabama. Just goggle there name. Spartan gave me the run around on an ABS disc said I had to replace whole hub and brake disk. Bought the part from Webb for $28. Wasted a month of my time.
a k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:34 PM   #12

Coach Care, KC put a new cap and the cover that holds the cap on. I'm taking a short trip over the next few days. We will see how it holds up. Thanks.