Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2015, 07:12 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Tow truck air valve

Looking at the air system on the fire wall and have a question.
The tow truck air Schrader valve located on the air block has, what I think, a regulator valve adjustment wheel on the top.
Is this a regulator that would control the air pressure?
If so what should the air pressure be?

I would like to install an air outlet connection for tire pressure etc. I presently run 100PSI in the tires and if this is a regulator it may defeat my intentions.
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2015, 09:28 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I've not seen a regulator on the place a tow truck operator would plug in an air hose. It's not usually a Schrader valve, but a female air hose connector. Often, to be sure it's compatible with the tow truck's air hose it will have a male connector that fits zip tied next to it. If you do have a regulator, I'd imagine it would be set high enough to keep parking brake off, somewhere around 35 psi or more.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 05:03 AM   #3

I am not sure what is used on MHs, but we used to put male connectors with valves, on our trucks. The female was on the hose, for hooking to the impact gun, air jack or tire chuck.

A Schrader valve would work, with a clip on tire chuck. They are commonly carried on road service trucks and used to air up two piece rim , tires( from a save distance) .

You may find that there is no air, available at that port. It may have a check valve, at the tank. Some are designed for airing up the tanks, only. The item in question may be a regulator so higher pressure shop air, won't blow off the safety relief valve.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 05:46 AM   #4

Could it look something like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airtank valve.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	90509  
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:19 AM   #5

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Could it look something like this?

This is not the assembly. Looks more like a relief valve
The valve assembly in the coach has 1/4 inch OD air lines in and out with the Schrader facing front.
"Everyone Goes Home"
Old 04-04-2015, 01:37 PM   #6

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Picture of air valve
Click image for larger version

Name:	iphone4 302.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	348.3 KB
ID:	90548
"Everyone Goes Home"
Old 04-04-2015, 01:59 PM   #7

that is most likely a tag axle pressure regulator
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 02:15 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mainiac View Post
that is most likely a tag axle pressure regulator
Except none of the 2002 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40J I've seen photos of have a tag axle.

Do you have air horns or air powered step cover? It might be to lower pressure for one of those accessories.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 06:04 AM   #9

depchief,
First a question back to you. What is the Blue Box with what looks like an air connection to the "valve" in question?
Are there any other connections to that valve? (Looks like there is a hard line in the picture you posted.)

If you want to install an air outlet that you can use to fill your tires, you need to find your "Wet Tank". There should be a plug you can remove and put in the appropriate fitting. Generally speaking, the "Wet Tank" has one way valves on it so that the brake systems won't lose air pressure if the wet tank empties out.

If it were my rig, the valve in the picture you posted would not be where I would put an air outlet. Also, typically the Air Compressors used on Spartan Chassis will put out anywhere from 120 - 150 psi and can be adjusted via the governor which is attached to the Air Dryer by control lines.

Drew
OldHatt45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:50 PM   #10

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Old Hatt45
Will be at the coach tomorrow and will look over the blue box. Not sure at this time. Plan to run and get a full air load and but gauge on the Schrader Valve to see what PSI at that point.
"Everyone Goes Home"
Old 04-07-2015, 08:50 PM   #11

depchief I'm watching closely since we have the same setup. I've never found the air connection for towing purposes either.
For whoever asked, yes this does have air-powered step cover and air horns.I think the "blue box" is the controller for the step-cover air piston.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:55 AM   #12

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Looking over the "Blue Box" the air lines are for the step cover. Ray,IN you are correct. They run across the coach in the square tubing that is part of the generator support. There is also a controller on the passenger side with a small gauge that registers 60 PSI.
Putting a tire gauge on the Schrader fitting (in the above picture) I could only get a reading of 20 PSI. This leads me to believe it is air in only for releasing the brakes in the event of air loss for towing.
Next step call Spartan to see if they can give me a spot to hook up. Or the original plan "B" buy a small compressor.
"Everyone Goes Home"
Old 04-09-2015, 06:37 AM   #13

depchief,

When you call Spartan, make sure you have your VIN in front of you. They can give you the Air System Diagrams as a pdf which will be very helpful to you. You need to ask for BOTH the Air leveling system and Air Brake Diagrams to get the whole picture.

Drew
OldHatt45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 06:45 PM   #14

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Talked with Spartan, they suggest that I connect into the wet tank. Then run air pipe to a compartment. I will be looking at that option in the near future. I plan on trying to run the air line to the front left compartment (under the drivers position) that has the fuse and relay panel.
"Everyone Goes Home"

Tags
tow