Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2014, 02:51 PM   #1

Unable to start

Good day,

1999 Spartan 40' American Tradition. Turning the key to start produces nothing.
In the on position everything appears normal. I have not yet determine if 12 volts is present on the starter solenoid because I cant determine which side terminal is the ignition side. Does anyone have a schematic and location diagrams for the starting circuit for this motor home? Or any idea of a fuse or circuit breaker that I should check?

Thanks,

Bob
dracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2014, 03:46 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One possible issue, If you have GOOD 12 volt till you turn to start..

This happened to me, by the way, last Sunday, (not the first time)
Turned key on, Dash POSTed (power on self test) normally, Good indicators all around, Turned to START and down it went.. Then it started blinking.

Shut it off, Fired Generator. Climbed under the coach with some tools (Wrench, Dremel with sanding drum) removed battery terminals, Sanded corrosion off, re-attached,, Back topside, put the tools away.
VAROOM. and off we drove.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:52 AM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
Bob,
Couple of possibilities here.
Make sure the Batteries are up.
When the key is turned to engine start, it activates a remote 12 volt solenoid located somewhere in your engine compartment, this solenoid activates your Fuel Shutoff solenoid in addition it sends 12 volts to the Starter to spin the engine. to locate this solenoid trace the smaller wire off the starter back in the harness to the location- usually on the frame rail.
I do have an Ignition SW wiring diagram for mine and your welcome to it but my coach is a few years older.
You can also call Fleetwood and I'm sure they will e-mail you one for yours.

Chuck
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:02 AM   #4

Thanks, NHRA225. My batteries are new. When the key is turned, I do hear a relay (solenoid) click in the battery compartment, but no click of the starter bendix. Today I plan to see if 12vdc is getting to the starter solenoid. I can't tell which terminal on the side of the starter solenoid is the ignition side, but I'll keep at it, plus trace some wire.
65 year old 10 sec Camaro driver myself.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:32 AM   #5

Look at this !
63 and Race Super Gas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Starter Wiring.jpg
Views:	1942
Size:	401.4 KB
ID:	54052  
Old 01-17-2014, 09:49 AM   #6

Thanks NHRA225. Unfortunately when I increase the size if the diagram, the pixels distort to where I can't read it, but I do see and I am going to concentrate on the start relay and see if I can locate it.

Bob
Old 01-17-2014, 10:33 AM   #7

Never mind. Operator error. I figured out how to blow it up without the distortion. But tell me, does the hand writing on the diagram mean that the start relay is in the frame rail?
Old 01-17-2014, 12:34 PM   #8

My remote relay is mounted on the frame rail on the pass/side.
Answer: Yes
Old 01-17-2014, 05:08 PM   #9

I used a Cole Hersee 24071-box --Water proof !
Old 01-18-2014, 06:18 AM   #10

Typo on Part number-- Cole Hersee- 24071-BX
http://lghttp.22995.nexcesscdn.net/8...4/24071-bx.jpg
Old 01-18-2014, 02:43 PM   #11

Chuck,
I checked the Cole Hersee and it looks like it will fill the bill, but I have yet to find the relay on the coach. Can you tell me from your memory, where on the frame rail it in relation to the starter and do you get to it from the top or underneath? I have found a wire at the starter solenoid that says "start relay" , but I am having trouble following it. Thanks again,...Bob
Old 01-18-2014, 03:05 PM   #12

Bob,
Mine is located on the passenger side-- mounted up in the frame rail - inside, can only be accessed from underneath -- a little forward from the engine. Use a bright flash light. I would run out and take a pic but we have heavy snow again- keep me posted. Or continue tracing that wire.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:19 PM   #13

Snow? What's that. Sunny and 70 here in Vegas, baby. I'll crawl back under tomorrow and have a look. I suspect that I have been looking a little too far aft. I'll let you know.

Bob
Old 01-19-2014, 05:33 AM   #14

I have a 98 HR Imperial and it did it the day I went to test drive it at PPL..lol Almost didnt buy it after 2 hours of looking, but they finally called the owner and come to find out the info was in his file. I ended up getting another relay, but that wasnt the problem.
On my coach, Drivers outside/Front compartment by Generator exhaust there is a panel of wiring. Once you remove the cover over the wires you will see a Clear body SQUARE Relay with; I am thinking 12 conections. It was not getting ground so he ended up tracing it down and sending a wire inside under the center console with a momentary button to a supplied ground when it wanted to act up.
It does not do it all the time. I have had the coach for 2 years now and it has only happened twice. Eventually I will trace it down, but for now I am fine with a momentary switch because I also tied it into a kill switch as well..
I think all this relay does is send power to the Starter Relay and nothing else because everything else seemed to active normal.
I hope what I said makes sense. I am at work but I can go by my shop this evening and take a picture if it would help..?
PS mine also has a fuse panel under the the drivers side window, as well as under the center of the dash.
NHRA225, and Dragracer,, Where are you guys from? Kinda ironic that this happens to Racers huh? LOL
hkindle is offline   Reply With Quote