Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Spartan Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2016, 10:20 AM   #15

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
This was only on the early model IFS Spartan chassis, newer models (post 2004?) have grease boots that don't deteriorate in a few years. New ball joints + installation labor is over $2,000, The IFS has ball joints, the solid axle has king pins.
I'm holding off replacing my ball joints until they show signs of out-of-tolerance wear per Spartan inspection specs.
I'm going to assume then, that king pins will last a lot longer, as not so high tech. Actually have had good service from my present P30 IFS and have kept it well greased. 32 fittings in all, including the drive shaft.
Had a 57 chevy pickup once that didn't wear out the king pins, but the axle instead, so it was easier to replace the whole front end with one from the junk yard.
I do like simpler at times and this might just be one of these cases.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2016, 08:20 AM   #16

Quote:
This was only on the early model IFS Spartan chassis, newer models (post 2004?) have grease boots that don't deteriorate in a few years. New ball joints + installation labor is over $2,000, The IFS has ball joints, the solid axle has king pins.
I'm holding off replacing my ball joints until they show signs of out-of-tolerance wear per Spartan inspection specs.
This is partially true, newer models do not use ball joints in the independent front suspensions. It is completely different front end and does not have the grease boots to deteriorate. I ask Spartan when they switched over and they could not give me the exact year, they really do not want to talk about the early ball joint issues. My 99 and 2005 had the ball joints and torn boots, my 2008 does not have ball joints. The non ball joints units ride much better IMHO.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:01 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAJO View Post
This is partially true, newer models do not use ball joints in the independent front suspensions. It is completely different front end and does not have the grease boots to deteriorate. I ask Spartan when they switched over and they could not give me the exact year, they really do not want to talk about the early ball joint issues. My 99 and 2005 had the ball joints and torn boots, my 2008 does not have ball joints. The non ball joints units ride much better IMHO.
Most sure my soon to be 07, has the straight axle, as I did give a glance down under and not knowing of this when inspecting it. So, with the IFS, what might have been the cost for this option?
Old 06-17-2016, 07:33 AM   #18

Not sure of what you are asking. Independent front suspensions are usually installed on higher end chassis since they cost more to produce.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:11 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAJO View Post
Not sure of what you are asking. Independent front suspensions are usually installed on higher end chassis since they cost more to produce.
Seems that the Spartan Mountain Master chassis, comes both ways with as near as I can figure at this early stage of learning, so the reason for the question. Also mentions a GT, which might stand for grand touring and maybe even the one with the IFS.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:29 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
Seems that the Spartan Mountain Master chassis, comes both ways with as near as I can figure at this early stage of learning, so the reason for the question. Also mentions a GT, which might stand for grand touring and maybe even the one with the IFS.

Hard to separate out a $$$ at the consumer level. The coach builder will spec the chassis including the IFS option as a bundle with a higher line model.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:21 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
You may be right. My Spartan MM, GT chassis has 12,000# IFS.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:38 PM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Our 2002 Dutch Star had the MM chassis and 12,000# IFS front axle when it left Newmar, but they had to have Spartan put a 14,600# IFS unit under it in 2004 as it was overweight when it left the factory.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:14 AM   #23

Quote:
Actually I'm not right, as I go through the this learning process.
According to Spartan the one I'm getting, is an MG chassis???, which is also a MM chassis.
Also has the straight front axle which I find listed as having a 47 degree wheel cut. The IFS model has a 55 degree wheel cut and turns really sharp. I think the straight will be fine and less to go wrong with it. Certainly not a deal breaker, when well within my budget.
Still awaiting delivery and while correcting some things that were found during the PDI.
This from Spartan on this 07 FW Revolution LE 40E:
This chassis is:
Mountain Master MG
GVW specs - GAWF: (front) 14,000 GAWR: (rear) 20,000 GVW: (total vehicle) 34,000 GCWR: (combined with tow) 49,000
Tow hitch 15K
Front axle - Meritor Straight Axle with wheel cut of 47 degrees (the cut, I added myself, to these specs)
Drive axle – Meritor 4.88 to 1 ratio
Engine – CAT C-9 400 HP
Transmission – Allison 3000MH
Radiator – side mounted
Cooling Fan – 2 speed hydraulic
Fuel Tank – 125 gallon
Tires – 295/80R 22.5 Goodyear G670RV (at manufacture)
Old 06-26-2016, 09:31 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSebago View Post
Looking to buy my 1st rv (2007 Fleetwood Revolution le) with solid axel, Spartan chassis. A friend said to stay away from it and buy one with IFS with 57 degree turning. What is the wheel cut on this straight axel?

The coach has 20,000 miles, cat 400, very clean $100,000.

Does IFS matter that much?

Looking for opinions, Thank you!

The le spartan has spartan front and rear parts and Fleetwood put the middle in a engineering marvel. Mine is a le rides and drives great never worried about turning degree.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:14 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
The le spartan has spartan front and rear parts and Fleetwood put the middle in a engineering marvel. Mine is a le rides and drives great never worried about turning degree.
I believe Fleetwood calls this their Liberty chassis, with slight mods to the Spartan and did have me confused for awhile.
My short test drive, proved great and found the turning radius to be much more than what I'm used too. Then again, didn't have an IFS to compare it to. Either way, not a deal breaker for me, considering the price, I'm paying and can do without the extra moving parts, with this monster having plenty enough of them, as it is.