Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > Motorcycles, Bikes & Buggys
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:09 PM   #1

Adirondack RV Campgrounds near Bicycling

Does anyone have any recommendations for RV campgrounds in the Adirondacks? We have a 35 ft DP and would like to be in a forested campground on/near a lake or river of some type In the summer. We'd also like to be in an area for bicycling, either road or light-mod trail.
EVO-Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2016, 04:39 PM   #2

Assuming you want full service the one's I have used are the former KOA in Old Forge, Thornbush Acres in Indian Lake, and the KOA in Lake George.

https://www.oldforgecamping.com/
Thornbush Acres

There are a few more but I have not stayed in them. There are many state campgrounds but few have anything other than space. There is a strip along I-86 that is loaded but more party city than wilderness experience. There is also a KOA North of Placid.

FWIW I would stay a week or two at a time in several different places. There is a difference in flavor as one moves around. Also do the Adirondack Museum in Blue Mountain Lake and the Natural History Museum in Tupper. Different and superb. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 04:20 AM   #3

Are there bike trails or routes nearby that you recommend near Old Forge?

I saw another campground (Adirondack RV) near Lake George that was near some bike routes that could get us easily into town and possibly around the lake if we wanted.
EVO-Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:42 AM   #4

I am not much of a biker so I cannot give you personal advice. I do see them everywhere when I am up there. I was going to point you to a web site but there are too many. The same for books. If you let your fingers do the walking there are many various guides for the region as it has been a major tourist destination for a very long time.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:46 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVO-Bob View Post

Does anyone have any recommendations for RV campgrounds in the Adirondacks? We have a 35 ft DP and would like to be in a forested campground on/near a lake or river of some type In the summer. We'd also like to be in an area for bicycling, either road or light-mod trail.
This would be my choice.

Wilmington, New York Campground | Lake Placid / Whiteface Mtn. KOA

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:50 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Lake George has a nice bike trail, and several campgrounds in the area, albeit somewhat expensive as it's a resort area.

From the Warren County Bike Trail and the Feeder Canal Trail to Mountain Biking, Lake George is a great biking destination!
photopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:55 AM   #7

Lake George is party city loaded with traffic. Quite a different experience than the rest of the park. If you want more of a wilderness head over to the central or western sides.

Tags
campground