Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > Motorcycles, Bikes & Buggys
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #1

Anyone With An Electric Towed?

I doubt you will find any baseplate fitted to a Telsa Model S so it can be towed 4 down, however I had the opportunity to take one for a spin today. It is owned by a friend of mine and he placed his order over the internet, I don't think there are dealers. All I can say is wow. It is a bit pricy right now, being just north of $100K all up, but it really made me look but not enough to place an order. It is really not much more than the cost to replace our Escalade, which I would never tow 4 down either, but the performance, range and features of the Telsa are impressive.

One does not buy this car to save money on fuel or save money on anything, but it is a very cool ride.

I was told the AC reduces the range by about 5mi per hundred and the heater comes from the heat generated on the batteries. It is a cleaver bit of engineering, and Telsa has set up a variety of charge stations throughout the US and Canada and provides a remarkable service support arrangement. It is reported to outclass the Volt and other rivals in every aspect, except price.

Wondered if any RVers have electric cars and can comment on thier performance and usage. Are any being used as towed in any fashion?
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2013, 02:04 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The regenerative system on electric vehicles prevents them from being used as towed vehicles. Which is too bad since I thought they would make a great towed vehicle.

At about 3X the cost of the Chevy Volt I would think something is terribly wrong if it didn't outclass it in all aspects! Otherwise, why would anyone buy one?
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
The regenerative system on electric vehicles prevents them from being used as towed vehicles. Which is too bad since I thought they would make a great towed vehicle.

At about 3X the cost of the Chevy Volt I would think something is terribly wrong if it didn't outclass it in all aspects! Otherwise, why would anyone buy one?
Never thought about the regenerative system, but would that not charge the battery while towing? I don't know if an electric car can be set to a free wheeling mode,

Price is not important for everyone. People buy the Telsa for whatever reason. They have an order backlog - the stock has gone up more than threefold. But the selling price of a top line Telsa S all up is > $100K. Go figure.

Bottom line: People are buying them - I am not one of them but they are a cool ride,
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote