Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > Motorcycles, Bikes & Buggys
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #15

I've got an '06 Essex with a Hydra-Lift and a single flip top Excaliber Trailer and a Iron Horse Sturgis trailer which fit two bikes fine (Dyna and a Heritage Classic). Just bought two '12 Ultra Limiteds(Tequila Sunrise) and they won't fit the Iron Horse. Iron Horse wants to sell me their new wide body flip top for about $8800. Anybody need a Sturgis? Also a '08 Smart toad that I thought I could fit on my open car hauler with the two Ultras. 1 ft short. Ultras are 102" long,(don't care what Harley advertises) and the Smart is 8'4". Screwed either way.

Heritage Classic, you don't even know it's on the lift.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2012, 09:58 AM   #16

Listen to RottenRalph for some good advice. I had a 6x10 V-nose SA Haulmark with no brakes for an 800lb. bike. Would have liked brakes behind a car/truck but probably not necessary behind a motorhome, also adds $$. I had the torsion axels and liked the ride especially when not loaded. If buying today I would NOT get the v-n0se. Get enough length to have some cabinets across the front for gloves, helmets, etc. Can also have a clothes bar below for jackets, vests, cleaning supplies and whatnot. Spare tire and wheel for sure and whatever the budget allows. Money spent on quality on yhe front end is usually evident a few years down the road. Oh, I also like my side door, easy to check while traveling and just nice to have!
cjkroodsma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrier2 View Post
I have towed my Road King in an enclosed Haulmark Trailer 5x10. I have the Rear ramp Door and it works great I ride the bike right up the Ramp Make sure you get an extended height option. I bought a Quality Pingle Chock for the front wheel and installed 4 hooks for tie down straps. The bike is secure and well tied down. Be careful that you do not buy a cheaper wheel chock I did at first and the rough construction rubbed the side wall of my front tire enough for me to replace it on my first trip to Sturgis. Originally I had ordered on line and picked it up in Pa. at a Haulmark factory they had neglected to install a side door. I took it anyway and I'm glad I did. Due to the size of the bike and Trailer the door would be useless. I think it was D&D Trailer and the price then was about 2k+, weight unladen 750 about the weight of the Harley. Tows Great even with my GMC Classic MH I had then.
When I am not using the Trailer my Harley lives inside safe and secure.
Feel free to contact me with any questions you might have.
Robert
Thanks HD4Mark Pintle instead of Pingle came to mind.
Sounds like the way I do it.
GWinger

OR

GWinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:12 PM   #18

Ya, I hauled my Harley all over the country with my MH and a 3 bike trailer but when I spent 2 weeks locked up with the DW in PA in 64* raining weather I decided to go 5th wheel so I'd have the truck to get out. I spent $3,000 building a lowboy swivel wheel trailer only to find out they are considered a double tow (no matter what anyone says on this forum) so I now have a 40' 5th wheel toy hauler. An open bike trailer or enclosed trailer is fine as long as you like cleaning the bike. Either way it will get dirty after you unload it. The enclosed V nosed trailer is the way to go if you need to trailer. Just make sure you get the high roof, side door and 6' wide one with at least 15" tires.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:01 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
We tow a trailer with our car and my bike. I drop a ramp in either side of the trailer front and ride on /ride off.
I cut off the side mount brackets on the edge up front. Created 2 aluminum ramps that are light and strong. Drilled mounting holes on each side of the trailer, to lock them in when I ride up or down. I also got a Front wheel roll in rig and create a front wheel lock on each side that goes on after I load on, and comes off before I unload. Works great with both vehicles on the trailer. Or, I can simply ride the bike on from the rear as well if I'm taking a couple bikes or just mine and no car. The trailer is relatively well balanced when the car is on it. When I take only the bike I prefer to load it off the rear facing forward instead of sideways to balance the trailer a bit better, than having all the weight up front without the car.

cheers
geo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	279.2 KB
ID:	23612   Click image for larger version

Name:	rv and bike.gif
Views:	247
Size:	541.9 KB
ID:	23613  

Old 07-17-2012, 09:29 AM   #20

I am still considering the swivel wheel trailer connected to my Ford Explorer toad (not on a ball hitch but secured to the reciever) as an option for my Harley. Love taking the bike but too often need the toad.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:37 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgholson View Post
I am still considering the swivel wheel trailer connected to my Ford Explorer toad (not on a ball hitch but secured to the reciever) as an option for my Harley. Love taking the bike but too often need the toad.
Just make sure you don't travel in one of the states that have double towing laws. You can build your own swivel wheel for less than half the price of a new one.

Double Hitch Company
Old 07-18-2012, 03:24 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBB View Post
Just make sure you don't travel in one of the states that have double towing laws. You can build your own swivel wheel for less than half the price of a new one.

Double Hitch Company
Not necessarily so, Bill. I know there ARE several states that don't allow their residents to double-tow. (called triple-tow in some states) But Being a resident of Michigan where a double-tow is legal under certain conditions, (2nd trailer must be towed behind a 5th wheel and total length is limited to 65') and my rig is registered in Michigan, most states that DON'T allow it for their own residents, allow me as legal.
I can't say that's true in ALL states but the one's I've driven in don't have a problem with it.Also, it depends on which chart you look at as to which states allow double-tow (triple-tow) and which don't. The charts of state laws vary from chart to chart.

Travel with caution,
GWinger
Old 07-18-2012, 01:53 PM   #23

GWinger

Was that picture with the trailer and trailer by chance taken at a new rest stop on HWY 55 in MO?
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:33 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
GWinger

Was that picture with the trailer and trailer by chance taken at a new rest stop on HWY 55 in MO?
Perry,
No, that pic was taken in March of 2010 on a trip home to Michigan from Georgia. So, I'm thinking it was at a rest stop in I-75 OR,... I-65. But NOT in MO.
GWinger
Old 07-19-2012, 07:25 AM   #25

Not necessarily so, Bill. I know there ARE several states that don't allow their residents to double-tow. (called triple-tow in some states) But Being a resident of Michigan where a double-tow is legal under certain conditions, (2nd trailer must be towed behind a 5th wheel and total length is limited to 65') and my rig is registered in Michigan, most states that DON'T allow it for their own residents, allow me as legal.
I can't say that's true in ALL states but the one's I've driven in don't have a problem with it.Also, it depends on which chart you look at as to which states allow double-tow (triple-tow) and which don't. The charts of state laws vary from chart to chart.

Gwinger- lots of debate on whether or not this is considered a triple tow and under what circumstances. However, I have never heard of anyone actually being ticketed for this set up.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:36 AM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
Here's the website for the trailer we use to haul our Goldwing with us. And when it's not behind the motorhome, you don't need a half ton pickup to do the job either. As close to maintenance free as you can be with a trailer, only weighs 760lbs empty, and close to the price you mentioned brand new!

Enclosed Trailers for Motorcycles and Snowmobiles - Toy Carrier
I have the duel model, I have used it for a Smart car, Ural sidecar rig and currently my Spyder, well made, light, pulls like its not there and enclosed, great, great trailer.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:14 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgholson View Post

Gwinger- lots of debate on whether or not this is considered a triple tow and under what circumstances. However, I have never heard of anyone actually being ticketed for this set up.
I spent $3,000 building one because everyone said it wasn't a trailer, they had one and didn't get stopped. On my first trip with it I stopped at a truck stop to get fuel. A trooper pulled up and got out of his car.

He told me it was illegal to double tow and I argued with him it was not double towing because it was bolted to the frame. He then got his tape out and the SW trailer was 10' long.

He then got out his "law" book and showed me the Fl. law (and he said also fed. law) that states anything pulled or attached to the back of any vehicle over 4' from the back bumper needs to be titled as a trailer and have a tag therefor it is a trailer and a double tow.

He said I was on private property so he couldn't write me a ticket but he said pull it on to the road and it's mine.... I dropped it at the truck stop and came back later with the truck and took it home.

I then called my lawyer who researched it and came up with the same thing the trooper said. I then called the company in Tampa who make swivel wheels and asked them. They said the same thing. They said they sell them but warn customers in writing that they are illegal in any state with double towing laws.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:03 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBB

I spent $3,000 building one because everyone said it wasn't a trailer, they had one and didn't get stopped. On my first trip with it I stopped at a truck stop to get fuel. A trooper pulled up and got out of his car.

He told me it was illegal to double tow and I argued with him it was not double towing because it was bolted to the frame. He then got his tape out and the SW trailer was 10' long.

He then got out his "law" book and showed me the Fl. law (and he said also fed. law) that states anything pulled or attached to the back of any vehicle over 4' from the back bumper needs to be titled as a trailer and have a tag therefor it is a trailer and a double tow.

He said I was on private property so he couldn't write me a ticket but he said pull it on to the road and it's mine.... I dropped it at the truck stop and came back later with the truck and took it home.

I then called my lawyer who researched it and came up with the same thing the trooper said. I then called the company in Tampa who make swivel wheels and asked them. They said the same thing. They said they sell them but warn customers in writing that they are illegal in any state with double towing laws.
My WA solution...remove the bumper, weld/bolt the swivel init in place and attach the bumper to the rear of the swivel unit. Ta Da! Brand new single unit trailer. You may need to reregister your trailer as a three axel unit.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote