Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > Motorcycles, Bikes & Buggys
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:09 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Cover-Up or Naked??

Hey Cycle Lift Guys,

I've been thinking of adding a lift (like a CruiserLift, Overbilt, HydraLift, etc.) to the MH but wondering how to protect my Goldwing from dirt, chips, rain sludge, etc. I have a side radiator with a fairly closed back end.

I'm curious how many folks cover their bikes using rear lifts? Do good normal bike covers scratch paint going down the road with the wind whipping around the rear of the MH?

Finally, anyone with a CruiserLift and a "Mist Shield"? Does that do a pretty good job without covering the bike?
LaserMark4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2010, 12:56 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
When I trailer my bike, no cover, I've seen covers do more damage than good.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:59 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
I carry our bike in the back of the truck behind the coach. I don't cover it because I expect the cover would blow around and rub the paint. The only time it got dirty was during a sloppy wet drive.
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:14 AM   #4

I tow my bike in a small trailer. Very safe and secure....plus no chance of damage.
heritage2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:00 AM   #5

I also carry my Road King in an enclosed trailer. I toyed with a lift on the MH and an open trailer but the road dirt would have driven me crazy. I can also carry assorted items for the MC. My trailer also serves as a private Garage for the Bike when home. I have the model with a rear ramp door so I can drive right in.
Robert
Old 07-31-2010, 11:32 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
HydraLift seems to have a good cover that completely covers the motorcycle. Hydralift HLGC42 Motorcycle Enclosure
I currently have a small enclosed trailer but have to choose between towing the CRV or the motorcycles. If it wasn't for the size of an enclosed car trailer I would like to take both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserMark4 View Post
Hey Cycle Lift Guys,

I've been thinking of adding a lift (like a CruiserLift, Overbilt, HydraLift, etc.) to the MH but wondering how to protect my Goldwing from dirt, chips, rain sludge, etc. I have a side radiator with a fairly closed back end.>>>
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:28 PM   #7

I also did a lot of research before going with towing....I DID NOT want to tow anything. But the enclosed trailer seemed to be the most recommended. And I also use it to store the bike while home.
I CANNOT back up with the trailer though !!
So when I get to a campground I unhook the trailer....back the RV in place....take the bike out of the trailer....put the little trailer on a dolly I have for it...and then it's easy to maneuver the trailer where I want it.
heritage2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserMark4 View Post
Hey Cycle Lift Guys,

I've been thinking of adding a lift (like a CruiserLift, Overbilt, HydraLift, etc.) to the MH but wondering how to protect my Goldwing from dirt, chips, rain sludge, etc. I have a side radiator with a fairly closed back end.

I'm curious how many folks cover their bikes using rear lifts? Do good normal bike covers scratch paint going down the road with the wind whipping around the rear of the MH?

Finally, anyone with a CruiserLift and a "Mist Shield"? Does that do a pretty good job without covering the bike?
Newer Goldwings are too long (wide) to put on a lift legally behind the MH. I believe they are 108" long.
I tow mine in a 6x12 trailer.
computerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:55 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
Newer Goldwings are too long (wide) to put on a lift legally behind the MH. I believe they are 108" long.
I tow mine in a 6x12 trailer.
They are definitely long but the dimensions I found for the GL1800 say 103.74 inches long.
Honda GL 1800 Gold Wing 2002 Specs and Photos
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:22 PM   #10

I hate being wrong. Looks like I am.
It's still over 102".
So, that had me thinking where I got the 108 from.
I was shopping for a car/mc tow dolly. So I called this one place and the salesperson talked me out of it. He said the goldwing is too long and it would not work becuase of it.
He said it was 108.
Site Builder

That is also why I didn't go for a lift. That was my preferred choice.

So I went with the enclosed trailer.

Sorry for the wrong info. Lesson, learned. I should have verified my info.
computerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:31 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Well, the Goldwing definitely has some length to them for sure.

I do love the versatility of unhooking my Jeep and in like 3 minutes, driving to the store and not figuring out what to do with a trailer. I can also get on the road with the toad in only a few minutes as well. So a lift definitely appeals to that flexibility. BUT, the enclosure/protection and not getting the bike trashed from road grime is a biggie....and a must.

I had not known there was a Hydralift HLGC42 Motorcycle Enclosure-- that seems like a great option to look..... at but a bit pricey @ $1,500! I have a line on a Cruiser Lift and maybe I can fashion a custom application enclosure for that. Anyway, some good ideas and tips here.

I did find some pics of Goldwings on the back of rigs- here's one on a Fleetwood: http://cruiserlift.com/imagelib/site...OD%20DISCOVERY

One on a Newmar: http://www.hydralift-usa.com/install...dutch-star.cfm
LaserMark4 is offline   Reply With Quote