Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > Motorcycles, Bikes & Buggys
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-15-2019, 04:07 PM   #1

Dual Sport riders

Howdy folks. New here and was wondering if anyone else has a passion for dual sport motorcycle riding? I'm starting off on the life style of a full timer in a toy hauler with two dual sport motorcycle, one is a BMW X Challenge and the other is a Husqvarna 501. Maybe some day I could team up to ride and share some campfire stories.

Peace Jon
AdvJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2019, 04:38 PM   #2

If you don't mind waiting for me and my Road King we could sure do that!

FlatsixV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 04:41 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatsixV2 View Post
If you don't mind waiting for me and my Road King we could sure do that!

Road King's are awesome off-road bikes.
(Make sure you have video to post!)

I've got a Triumph Tiger 1050 at home. It's all street/ touring but that's never stopped me from getting it into the mud. I'm hoping that I can get a 250-400cc Husky sometime in 2020. I'm on my way westward and I rely on my brother to get me a bike so we can go out and ride in the Salton Sea area in Cali.
Old 08-16-2019, 12:50 AM   #4

I'm good at waiting. I just sold all my Harley's. It was had do after being on one for 40 plus years. But health issues and couldn't see the since to store them any longer. That's why I downsized to the dual sport/dirt machines. But now I've got a chance to revisit some places with a different perspective. And I have to say, it's pretty awesome.
Old 08-16-2019, 01:45 AM   #5

The Motorcycle Tourer's Forum has a group that we call Rough Road Riders. We get together 2 or 3 times a year to ride. some of our guys camp/RV too. Our next ride is in Linville, NC. Feel free to join in the fun. I'll PM you some specific info since the admins here frown on sharing the web addresses of other sites.

andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:56 PM   #6

I have been more about Motocross / Supercross over the years but Dual Sport is starting to sound fun. So hard now-a-days to get a group together to go to a track. And not something one should do alone (potential injury). so dual sport is sounding timely. If I got one, I think it would be more dirt than street.
Old 08-17-2019, 03:22 PM   #7

Like I mentioned, after all my Harley years I'm really finding the dual sport fitting now a days. I met some awesome folks online and in the wilds. Always been a country boy and enjoying mother nature I grew up on. It's like I'm living in a different world than seen on the news out there too still a lot of good folks.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:11 PM   #8

I ride a DRZ400. Used to be into the bigger BMW bikes, but got tired of picking them up in the mud or sand. Love this little bike, it’s like a Jeep. Not super fast on the highway, but goes everywhere you point it on or off road.

We move around a lot all over the continent, and I don’t always carry the bike depending on what else is on the agenda. I’m a fan of twisty mountain roads, national forest dirt roads and two tracks.

Send me a PM if you’re interested in exchanging contact info.
Old 08-17-2019, 07:26 PM   #9

I like my dual ST1300 (sport/tourer). Oh not dual you were thinking
But yes have been looking for a dual sport to handle 2 adults, highway speed and less than 500lb. Something to put on a hitch rack. Versys or V Strom 650 still shopping.
DbleDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
I ride a DRZ400. Used to be into the bigger BMW bikes, but got tired of picking them up in the mud or sand. Love this little bike, it’s like a Jeep. Not super fast on the highway, but goes everywhere you point it on or off road.

We move around a lot all over the continent, and I don’t always carry the bike depending on what else is on the agenda. I’m a fan of twisty mountain roads, national forest dirt roads and two tracks.

Send me a PM if you’re interested in exchanging contact info.
I looked at the DRZ for a while, but decided on EFI bike's instead. Both have their advantage and disadvantage to them. I'll shoot you a PM about my plans,what little of them I have.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DbleDutch View Post
I like my dual ST1300 (sport/tourer). Oh not dual you were thinking
But yes have been looking for a dual sport to handle 2 adults, highway speed and less than 500lb. Something to put on a hitch rack. Versys or V Strom 650 still shopping.
The VStorm is a good choice. There's a couple nice ones on Adventure Ride in the flea market. And actually one I've seen thinking about but I'd have to part ways with the BMW and not sure I'm ready to do that yet. Lol. The triumph tiger is another good choice
Old 08-18-2019, 11:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvJon View Post
I looked at the DRZ for a while, but decided on EFI bike's instead. Both have their advantage and disadvantage to them. I'll shoot you a PM about my plans,what little of them I have.
I don’t disagree. The Z does not like Colorado and I’m too lazy to change the jets. My next one will be EFI most likely. I’ve been really pleased with the reliability and performance of the Suzuki though. A lot of my riding I’m all alone in remote areas and the idea of walking home does not appeal. Nine years with this one and it’s never let me down.
I’ve been circling around the idea of buying KTM for a couple of years, but reliability concerns me.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:05 AM   #13

Yeah I agree with you on the durability of the DR's, it would be hard to find better for that.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:23 AM   #14

Dualsport

I currently have a 2001 Honda XR650R with the HRC kit and a Baja Designs street legal conversion. It has served me well from 600' MSL to 8000' MSL without having to rejet. At 286 lbs, it is pretty light and with re-gearing, it can handle highway speeds, but it is still no adventure tourer. At 62, I am starting to look at smaller, EFI electric start bikes (250-450cc), but I still like the bulletproof simplicity of cable throttle/clutch and carburetion. In 18 years, the old XR has taken a beating, but never once left me stranded. Mine has always been easy for me to start.....that being said, a kick start 650 dirt bike can be a challenge for some.

Like ADVJon, I keep looking at the KTM's, but I have met several people that have had reliability issues with them.

And then there is the lowly fun TW200 that has been around forever in its fundamental form. Though the fat-tired go-anywhere TW is simple and undeniably reliable, it is pretty under-powered when compared to anything else.
mb36912 is offline   Reply With Quote