Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > Motorcycles, Bikes & Buggys
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD629 View Post
Yes, there are. But they aren't allowed at a lot of off road parks and trails that we would want to visit. A sand reeper is about the same size as a Polaris RZR.
And the ride is probably a whole lot better than a full size 4wd off road. I like the concept. Interested in the legalities especially here in CA. I'm trying to figure out where all the < $20k 4wd's are? I know Jeep, Nissan and Toyota are well above that.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2015, 05:19 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD629 View Post
Yes, there are. But they aren't allowed at a lot of off road parks and trails that we would want to visit. A sand reeper is about the same size as a Polaris RZR.
Still the sticker prices at the two local dealerships for them are a bit much if you want a roadworthy one with a rag top on it.

Almost makes a rental when you really need one seem like a viable option.

A Gator RSX860i might also be a consideration with parts and service more widely available. Off road capable and street legal with a 60 mph top speed.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:32 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
Still the sticker prices at the two local dealerships for them are a bit much if you want a roadworthy one with a rag top on it.

Almost makes a rental when you really need one seem like a viable option.

A Gator RSX860i might also be a consideration with parts and service more widely available. Off road capable and street legal with a 60 mph top speed.
$14-15,000 brand new, isn't bad. I already own a Polaris RZR 900 XP, if it was street legal, I wouldn't need a Sand Reeper. We will be spending way to much time at off road parks to even consider renting. This would replace our RZR and a Smart Car, so it would be far less $ and weight.
BigD629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 03:08 AM   #18

When the Tropical rains abate I may take a ride to one of the local dealer to give one a look see. I know I am behind the times on modern prices so the stickers on many items today seem way over the top. I could but a full sized 4X4 camper special with AC, chrome trim and a 4 ton payload for about $3,300 when I started driving so the prices on these little buggies seems so unreal to me.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:21 AM   #19

I am a member of another Off Road Forum where one of the guys built a frame a lot like that one and stuffed a 4wheel drive Subaru running gear in it. Registered it for the street with the Subaru title. It is a slick vehicle!

If that were mine, I'd want a removable hard top to keep it dry inside.
And me! Not to mention the Security Issue!

That being said, I have two sets of VW air cooled running gear, complete with serial #'s & titles, that I'm building into a Razor Style Street Legal Vehicles. I'll tow one of them behind my Class A to Off Road Parks and drive them for grocery stores. Even if it's up the Highway.

Dune Buggy's are fun, but I like the practicality of a more utilitarian vehicle. Mainly because I'm a 64 year old 6'2" and 240 lb man who has burned the candle at both ends for a longtime. So getting out of the Old Manx Buggies is very difficult for me.

I'm hoping my buggy build will come very close to the Oreion look. Only street legal. Would love to get that body and build my chassis to fit under it.

Just my 2 cents!
Old 02-20-2017, 09:13 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm assuming (could be wrong) that the Oreion is not street legal off the shelf and would require some mods to be so. If so, then the same mods applied to a RAZR would seem to be a better route. Parts and repair would be available everywhere, as well as a huge variety of aftermarket accessories. Just a thought.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:57 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
I'm assuming (could be wrong) that the Oreion is not street legal off the shelf and would require some mods to be so. If so, then the same mods applied to a RAZR would seem to be a better route. Parts and repair would be available everywhere, as well as a huge variety of aftermarket accessories. Just a thought.
They are street legal, in Oklahoma. After test driving one, I decided to stick with the RZR & Smart Car combination. You would give up too much in on/off road capabilities just to have one vehicle.
BigD629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:56 AM   #22

I see this is an old thread but I HAVE PLENTY of experiance with a Reeper. We just got back from Arizona using one for a Toad. I did trailer it which worked out great because I could back into some camp spots however. We put 1800 miles on it in Mexico, Arizona, California and Nevada. It performed very well both on and off road.
We are from Oregon and initially licensed it here as a car. Our DMV requested the plates back and relicensed it as an LSV which meant 25 mph was as fast as allowed even though it would do 70. I gave up on Oregon and ended up licensing it in Montana as a car. Getting insurance was not easy either. Most companies will NOT insure it for street use. After fighting that for several months I finally got it insured thru Met Life.
As for street use, we used it on highways and short distances on Interstates. At 55 to 60 it is fine. Over that it is not. The revs are close to red line . The little Chery motors are very robust but I did not like to push it.
There is a forum called Reeper Owner's Forum that has tons of info on fixing inherent flaws and issues with law and insurance. I did many improvements before using it actually a car. I added a heater, new steering rack, street tires ( 2" oversized) 2" lift, rear view mirror, a better top and side curtains and more. I was passed by several police rigs and never hassled except when I added a lit whip flag that was red,white and blue. They are illegal on road. It was just a warning. In Death Valley, California I met a CHP Officer several times with no stops. I am still concerned about the resaprosity issue. In Oregon it is up to the state police officers opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170130_151529.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	691.6 KB
ID:	155415   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170123_063125.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	650.4 KB
ID:	155416  

porschenein5 is offline   Reply With Quote