Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > Motorcycles, Bikes & Buggys
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-16-2016, 07:25 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Trailer, open or enclosed

The end of March I bought myself a birthday gift, a Can Am Spyder RT Limited. My next RV trip I plan on taking the Spyder rather then my P/U. I'm trying to deside weither to get an open motorcycle type trailer (seen one I like new for $3000) or get an enclosed 10X8 or 12X8.

The advantage of the open trailer is its light and will fold for long term storage in the garage at home. The advantage of the enclosed is its a garage for the Spyder on the road. I'm concerned that the RV parks will give me trouble as I'd prefer to use pull through and keep the unit hooked up and use the garage function.

I'd put a hydra-lift on the couch except I'd be overloading the axial by about 800#. Any suggestions in trailer type and models you like please let me know to help me make a good choice, thanks.

Oh, I purchased the Spyder two years after selling my 2008 Goldwing because I found myself in a couple positions that if things didn't go right I'd be down and I just was not comfortable so I decided this change was in my best interest.

Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2016, 07:30 AM   #2

Here in snowmobile country we have "clamshell" trailers that are somewhere in between an open trailer and a traditional box. The clamshell design might be just the thing for a Can-Am.

Mike
2000 HR Endeavor
Old 04-16-2016, 07:39 AM   #3

I occasionally tow our Goldwing in a 8x12 enclosed trailer. We have stayed at places with pull-thrus and backins. Much easier with a pull thru as I leave the trailer hooked up and use it as a garage for the Goldwing. For back ins, we park the trailer next to the RV and can still use it as a garage. An open trailer is much easier to move around due to the weight. Either trailer should not be a big problem.
algolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:51 AM   #4

I just bought an enclosed 6' x 10' for our Indian Vintage Chief. Short enough to triple tow behind the fiver if I choose to ever do that. Open trailers really expose the cargo to road grime.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:08 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Enclosed trailer

I have both and prefer enclosed for long hauls. Lack of road grim and enclosed security at home and the road are a benefit. Also get one with the wheel wells outside the frame, they sit lower and tow much better. If can afford it the aluminium are much lighter also. Most name brands are all good.
Akwoofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 05:28 AM   #6

We do most of our traveling towing an open car trailer and it's an extremely rare instance where there isn't room for everything in a pull through (overall length is 52 ft.). One upscale park in Michigan required that we leave the trailer in a separate parking area even though the sites were long enough.

One issue with a small trailer, open or closed, is that it can be difficult to back due to the tendency of the short trailer to jackknife when attached to the much longer motorhome overhang.

And, I have never heard a person complaining after they changed from an open to enclosed trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc8cappie View Post
.... I'm concerned that the RV parks will give me trouble as I'd prefer to use pull through and keep the unit hooked up and use the garage function...
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:22 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Well, I finally ordered a 7x12 v-nose trailer with extended toung. I had three tie down rails positioned under each wheel of the Spyder for tie down. The v-nose area I wanted for storage of the tie down and trailer movement equipment.

Thanks everyone for your comments they help me deside. The fact that the Spyder will remain cleaner and more importantly security while traveling, as every so often I overnight at Walmart or Cabelas and the open trailer is just to inviting!

Should get the trailer later this month and hopefully hit the road around mid August. Thinking I'll head maybe to Drango Colorado then somewhere cooler then home here in Florida. After that slowly south to Phoenix to a friends place to hang out. Never been to Quartzite so I'm hoping to make it this year just because.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:36 AM   #8

We pull a 6x10 enclosed Texan Cargo trailer, use that to house and haul my 2012 Honda Shadow (750 Phantom) behind our 2015, 37 foot Itasca Sunstar. My girl follows behind me in our little Honda Civic. I put a 5,000 lb Trailer Valet to help my move the trailer to the RV after I injured my Knee trying to move the loaded trailer out of some sand in southern Cailfornia.
I would love to find a better way to haul everything around. Ideally I'd like a rack on the rear of the RV then flat tow or tow dolly the civic. I am holding on very tight to my motorcycle, it has been suggested to sell the bike just to make things easier, but I worked hard for it, and there is nothing like riding on 2 wheels in the greatest landscape our country has to offer.
Also anticipating buying a larger size bike that is better suited for 2 up riding then the 750.
We are ok with the way we are doing this, we use a walkie talkie when we are on the highway between CG's But hauling everything we want and being together while on the road is something we both want to do as well. So I'm not sure what the right answer would be
Blacksheep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 01:08 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Enclosed trailer

being as the civic is small, how about a bigger trailer that will haul both?
Akwoofer is offline   Reply With Quote