Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > Motorcycles, Bikes & Buggys
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:28 AM   #1

What GPS iPhone app to get?

Want to do some back roading in Arizona but want something better than goggle maps.

Thanks,

Robby
Robby W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2016, 09:36 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Do you only want maps, or an app that will do the navigation for you? This is a very important distinction. GPS navigation apps and units have gotten folks in trouble, people have died from not knowing where they were actually going and getting into some kind of trouble along the way.

If you had an Android device, I'd tell you to get Backcountry Navigator for maps. It's great. Hopefully there is something like it for i devices. It's maps only, no navigation. http://backcountrynavigator.com/about/

Always have a paper map and compass and know how to use them. Never trust an electronic device when far from civilization for navigation. Phones break, batteries fail, cell signals disappear, the DoD can degrade GPS accuracy at whim. Good general advice for back road and backcountry travel.

Local agency offices have the most up-to-date info about travel in their areas.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:49 AM   #3

Sound advice. I was planning to go away's in on Four Peaks, I went in 6 miles earlier in the week. It's rated ez and there were lots of human activity if I need help.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:11 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The question is still unanswered: do you want an app that will do the navigation for you, or do you only want the maps on your device?

I don't have an apple device, but answering this might help those that know more about these things to help you find what you are looking for.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 01-14-2016, 10:23 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
You said "backroading"? Not sure how many apps include hiking trails,logging roads etc. But for plain Ol everyday navigation...its Waze for me. Of course as always..jus my $.02.
RattVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:27 AM   #6
Community Administrator

What GPS iPhone app to get?

I recently saw a post here at irv2 that mentioned an app called HERE . It's free and will navigate off line with areas that have been downloaded. I have downloaded it and have been toying with it but haven't actually tried it yet. I'm not sure it will work for backpacking however I think it's an app worth looking into.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:30 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My only problem with Waze is that it is next to impossible to change a route from the three possibilities that you can chose from when you ask to navigate somewhere. Out on the back roads and USFS or BLM roads, Waze has gotten me almost lost because it routed me somewhere when I had a data signal, then once away from cell phone data service, there was no way to look up another route. The route was stored on the device, but very little other than that.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:27 PM   #8

I had a great time, didn't make it to the top but went 17.4 miles in. I load but didn't really use Topo Maps $8. I'm still looking, sure hope there is something better.

Thanks everyone,

Robby
Old 01-14-2016, 06:37 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I recently saw a post here at irv2 that mentioned an app called HERE . It's free and will navigate off line with areas that have been downloaded. I have downloaded it and have been toying with it but haven't actually tried it yet. I'm not sure it will work for backpacking however I think it's an app worth looking into.
I have used the Nokia "Here" app for iPhone for a year and I find it one of the best for my purposes. It does show "minor" trails that I have used for back-country jeep exploring up here in Canada. As mentioned, one of the best features is that you can download the maps to the iPhone and select the app to work "offline" and not use data when you are roaming, or if you are in no cell coverage areas. It does continue to use GPS positioning to support location determination.

In addition there are maps for the entire world, so I used it quite extensively when I toured Europe this last fall. There are settings for "walking directions" in addition to voiced driving directions.

It is free on the app store, and I believe it is available on Android from Google play.

Hope this helps,
Brian

EDIT: It also has map, transit, and satellite layers that can be turned on/off.

EDIT2: I just downloaded the California maps and checked some of the BLM roads around Jacumba where I have taken the jeeps (Google "the impossible railroad") and the HERE app shows the major BLM maps but not smaller less traveled routes.
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:32 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby W. View Post
Want to do some back roading in Arizona but want something better than goggle maps.

Thanks,

Robby

Do you want a navigation app? If you do, just use the Apple's builtin iOS app.

If you want a map app, it's hard to beat Google Earth.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Toad
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 03:36 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Foretravel Owners Club
I had a 2008, it was a service nightmare I would not recommend one if it will be used as a primary means of transportation. They handle horribly and the performance is non exhilerating. Buy a Mazda miata for the same money and you can put the top up when it rains.
Mrfix
mrfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 06:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfix View Post
I had a 2008, it was a service nightmare I would not recommend one if it will be used as a primary means of transportation. They handle horribly and the performance is non exhilerating. Buy a Mazda miata for the same money and you can put the top up when it rains.

Mrfix

Did this thread get heavily edited or am I severely lacking caffeine this morning?

A 2008 what?
Old 03-30-2016, 06:32 AM   #13

There are lots of free and paid USGS maps available.

2016 Lifestyle 35' fifth wheel
2016 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 1 ton
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:30 PM   #14

If you are going bicycling, and will be on a lot of dirt roads, I would suggest OsmAnd or Locus. They both are geared toward the really back country dirt roads and trails.

I did a trip from border to border through the Rockies on all paved roads on my FJR and used CoPilot. I bought the app for Android for 3 or 4 dollars and used it the entire time I was out.

The really good thing about these phone type apps is the maps are downloaded and reside in the phone memory. They use the GPS function of the phone, which is not dependent on a cell source and doesn't use your data.

If you are looking for trip information, route information, and suggestions, I would encourage you to visit the advrider.com website an look under the trip planning tab.

Ride safely!

Dave
drburchfield is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps