Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV LIFE STYLES FORUMS > Hobbies, Passions & Pastimes > Motorcycles, Bikes & Buggys
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:03 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Whats the best Motorcycle for rack??

All:

My wife and I are just getting use to our first DP MH. We recently switched from trailer and Dodge Diesel trk to our 34 Newmar DP. We are hoping NOT to tow a car, but are very interested in bringing along a dual purpose motorcycle. We do a lot of wilderness and National Park camping all over the US. In our earlier years (we are now 53 and 50 very fit) we enjoyed many motorcycles both on road and off, but it has been 20 years since we have owned one.

So the question is...what should we begin looking at? We are wanting something that is not too heavy, has some mild trail (dirt road-jeep road) capabilities for the wilderness and mountain areas, can ride two up, and then finally is on the lighter side of things (put on hitch rack).

We DO NOT plan on using this bike for shopping, long rides, or city driving but it should be street legal for emergencies.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Dave
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2010, 02:52 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Yamaha TW200

2010 Yamaha TW200 Home, information
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:36 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Dave. First off, congratulations on the Newmar. For long term or long distance camping, you can't go wrong with the class 'A'. Safe travels.
During our extended trip this past summer we saw quite a few on/off road bikes on some pretty sturdy looking receiver hitches during our travels.

When we bought our RV, we were kicking around the same scenario...even sold the Heritage Springer to buy an on/off, but ended up with a Jeep Wrangler, oh well. We liked the fact we could carry around a spare tire in case of a flat in the middle of nowhere (which did happen...twice). We just decided we wanted to pack around too much 'stuff' to go the bike route.

At any rate, during our search, we looked at and felt that just about any of the on/off road Japanese manufactured motorcycles in the 250 to 500 cc range would provide plenty of power and still be light enough to mount and dismount from a receiver type rack without too much effort. Typically, the on/off bikes we looked at had off road tires better suited to intermediate off road trails than 'on road' trips(especially if wet), but acceptable for short pavement rides to get to the dirt. Gosh, there are sooo many options....just go with what you LIKE! Have fun with your search. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:44 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Almost forgot...we saw a few of the receiver mounted bikes really bouncing around behind some MH, so I'd recommend a Blue Ox(or similar) receiver anti rattle bracket. We have one and it keeps all that 'extra slop' from banging around at the receiver/tow bar or in your case, MC rack. Also get a on/off bike with a KICK STAND. What a pain it is without one. Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:11 PM   #5

one up or two up capable?
buizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:23 PM   #6

I have found out that most of the dual sport bikes are very good at what they are meant for. You are considering a bike that will be ridden two up most of the time and that limits you somewhat.
I would let my passenger have a say as to the seat and peg comfort. (some of the seats slope forward so much that they are not comfortable for the passenger)
I would make sure the buddy pegs are fastened to the frame as opposed to being attached to the swing arm.
If you are not to short of stature you can get a nice long travel suspension which really offers a plush ride but can be slightly top heavy in slow going.
If the total riders weight exceeds 300 pounds you really needs something in the neighborhood of 400 cc to ride in the desert and hilly areas.
Consider the length the the wheelbase, offroading two up can make keeping front end planted power on, difficult.
I have transported bikes with us to the SW quite a few times on the back of 5th wheels. Now that we have DP, if I were to do it again I would consider one of the swivel wheel MC trailers that couple up very close to the receiver. http://motorcycletrailer.com/sw/

It is a great sport to get into and a tough one to hang up!
)(38 yrs offroading)(
Beagle RC Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:11 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Dave,

I'm crowding 70 and no longer do Enduro type riding but I do still ride a Harley and I think you should consider a "HydraLift" Hydralift USA ™ Motorcycle Lifts For RV’s as they are very capable of hauling pretty much any motorcycle you want and lift it hydraulically up securely on the back of any class A and STILL tow a car at the same time if you want.
Good luck and enjoy your Motorhome and Motorcycling!
John
05 Country Coach Inspire
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:16 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Can't make a suggestion on the MC. We have a cruiser. However, if you decide to pull it, consider a p/u truck with MC in the bed. Then you could go strickly with an off road bike and the options open up a bit for you.

Our Kawa Nomad fits nicely into the bed. So, an off road should work too.

Dave
Old 11-19-2010, 06:10 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Although we have a GoldWing with a TriCar conversion which would be way to heavy for your needs. However, you mentioned and for emergincy use. In order for this to work you would both have to know how to handle the bike. Also if one is to sick to ride/drive but not bad enough for an ambulance this could create a problem. My wife does not have a MC endorsement but she has learned to handle it. We have a sidecar so we are set for any situation that may arise. I also think you would want something in the 400 to 650 cc range. Many bikes fit that range.
goldwingerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:24 AM   #10

Dave, I am in the same interest as you, 57 and owned motorcycles all my life... my next lightweight will be a Ducati Multistrada, under 500#, can load on my carrier by myself and is two up for wifey and me, several versions available, used is a best buy... I also had a 2004 BMW R1200R before and loved it, never should have sold it, but this new Duc is the cat's a$$ for what you want. Also look seriously at a Buell Ulysses, 2006-2008, or a BMW R1200GS, otherwise you will be into the cheaper Jap stuff, which isn't for me.. I have an '04 Windsor and a Harley Street Glide FWIW..

Jim
buizilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:26 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
BMW R1200GS, maybe a little heavier than your target but clearly very capable--especially if you want to do a lot of 2-up riding.
CaptPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 02:50 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks all for the many good comments. Goldwingerx2 raised a good point. we hope youuse the bike to get around gampgrounds and especially in national parks and wilderness areas. we are trying to avoid towing a vehicle. I had not inteded it for sick or hospital emergencies but that is a valid point.

How do some of you folks feel about not having a toad with you?

Thanks

Dave
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 02:57 PM   #13

Don't overlook the Honda Silverwing and the Suzuki Burgman, both are great double up scooters than can exceed 100 mph and run 70 mph all day long. good grocery storage under the driver's seats. Enough power to be usable but still compact enough to take with you.

Suzuki Cycles - Product Lines - Cycles - Categories - Scooters lot of these on the used market for half the price

2011 Silver Wing ABS Overview - Honda Powersports
AZgl1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:14 PM   #14

1989 Honda NX 650 Dominator specifications and pictures

If you are interested in 650 dual sport the NX650 Honda is a really good solid bike with an abundance of power.
I bought one about 10 years ago that was in pristine condition. Hauled it on back of 5th wheel for 3 years or so. Never had a problem one with the bike. They only made this particular one for 2 years, 1988 and 1989. They were kind of popular in Europe and other parts of the world where they appreciate the big singles. The NX 650 has a lot of the features of a 650 BMW single but much more affordable. In this country they were used more highway than offroad. Honda dropped the line in this country but I see that they make another called the Dominator NX 650.
beagle
Beagle RC Air is offline   Reply With Quote