Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2011, 11:33 AM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2011 Coachmen Mirada 34BH

We are looking at a 2011 Coachmen Mirada 34BH. This would be our 1st Motorhome and would like some feedback on Coachmen Coaches. I saw an article that ranked the 2010 version of the 34BH #2 out of 214 Coaches which tested similarly priced Motorhomes. I know that Forest River purchased them about about 3 or 4 years ago. Has this affected quality either positively or negatively? Forest River seems to have a good reputation overall although I realize there is always problems with anything and I have seen some on these type of forums. I also know that some folks will always say Newmar is the best or Tiffin or Winnebago, Fleetwood etc. I am just looking for some thoughts as it is a gas model on a Ford Chassis. Thanks for any replies.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2011, 05:05 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
If you have not been welcomed...Welcome to our little group.
Every coach no matter what you read or are told will have problems. You have to be satisfied with the quality and floor plan. You will read that Gulf Stream is the worst of the worst. We "LOVE" ours. If you like the motor home and you feel that it is the right thing to do, then do it. Make sure you get everything promised from the dealer in writing. Spend plenty of time in your walk through. And make sure your dealer can service what he or she sales...Just my opinion....Good Luck ...Peace.. D
ps. a sense of humor is the most important option....
Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:37 PM   #3

We took delivery Friday 24th on a 2011 Encounter 37 TZ model Coachmen.

It definetly has problems, but so far the dealer has taken care of everything. Most recent failure was the fireplace (bought off the lot otherwise would not have ordered a coach with a fireplace). It clicks now and won't start. I found that I had to add a number of things to get the coach I wanted like an automatic transfer switch, inverter, HD satellite, solar panel, etc. I like what I have now, but I think I'll be working out bugs for a couple of months. Watch the materials, I think FR cuts corners on materials like the front seats. Not well made and look rather low end. I'm fine with that but you may not be.

Good luck and have fun. By the way we found our dealer was very interested in dealing. Got what we thought was a good price. Make a low offer and see what happens.

Roll
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 05:53 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the replies. I noticed the same thing Roll, as it didn't have a few things I would expect like the automatic Transfer switch. What do automatic transfer switches cost to install? We put a refundable deposit down (got it in writing) and we will be going by the dealership Monday and I want to discuss the transfer switch, an inverter, satellite, solar battery charger.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by campclan View Post
I want to discuss the transfer switch, an inverter, satellite, solar battery charger.
Transfer swith is not expensive. Less than $200. On the other hand after adding a sat, solar panel, controler and inverter... expect to pay in the range of $3500 for the other items installed. When the coach comes without an inverter there is a considerable amount of wiring to do. Same with the sat since we wanted HD we went with a Winegard direct TV unit, very expensive but now I get a picture just like sitting at home. A 60w solar panel will run about $400 to $500.

Consider an auto start module, another $500 but it starts your gen automatically if you loose shore power or are dry camping. We have pets so need to be sure they are protected in the heat.

If you want to talk let me know and we'll set up a phone call. I can give you some specific numbers and share the problems I had.

Roll.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:49 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a 2010 Mirada 34 BH. It is our first motor home. We had a 36 foot 5th wheel before.

1. We love the unit.
2. One writer on an RV forum described the Mirada as a Chevrolet in the RV world. I like that analogy.
3. We have had problems related to the chassis and the unit itself.
4. Regarding the ford components, we had front end alignment issues which required the Ford dealer to add a shim. That done, the coach drives like a dream. I love the way it makes power and the transmission's performance in the "tow" setting. It doesn't have the brute power of my former highly modified Dodge dually diesel. It is civilized and so far has handled the little challenges we've presented to it gracefully - the "Grapevine" on Highway 5 is the toughest road we've run and it was fine both uphill and downhill - after the 5th wheel, I tend to be more concerned about downhill than uphill!

Coachmen-related issues have been resolved by our local dealer, Sky River RV in Livermore, Ca. Coachmen has been very supportive in each instance. The issues we've encountered have been small. A windshield washer base had to be replaced. We had some repair done on the flooring to the living room slide, the sofa bed platform had to be replaced, and we had one wood trim piece warp.

And, then there was the radio which I did not understand. My dealer listened to my concerns, spoke to Coachmen and Coachmen sent a new radio to be installed. Then, the technician looked at the issue and solved the problem by getting me the correct cable I needed for AUX to work - a case of 100% user (me) error!

Make sure you have a great dealer and that you understand the value proposition in your purchase. One can do little more when making a purchase. If you go with the Mirada, I hope you enjoy it as much as we like ours.

I love driving the Mirada. It is a real quality of life improvement after the 5th wheel for family travel.
Rbeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:26 AM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the responses. We have test driven the unit and listed our requirements of additional accessories to be installed. The dealer has been very good to work with so far and have had a good experience. I have worked in the car industry on the service side and sales side so I am familiar with all the games that are played. So far all that I have asked for has been written down and signed off except the additional accessories and that is due the "Good GM" being on vacation until Wednesday. As I stated before this would be our 1st Coach but, with a forum like this I can get an education on things I never thought about or didn't realize. One thing my wife indicated is that she knew this Coach had not been designed with a women on the team as there is no silverware drawer!!
Old 03-29-2011, 02:23 PM   #8

I've noticed that Coachmen newer RV's are priced the same as other branded RV's that are several years older so I'm glad you posted this question as I was about to ask why in the world were they priced so much less than an equal year RV of a different brand. Is this like the Acer (computers) of RV's? (technically speaking, acer actually does make some decent laptops nowadays from what i've read).

thanks for beating me to the punch on the question. I am interested to know of other's experiences with coachmen.
zoemorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:29 AM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We take delivery on Saturday of our new Mirada. I have taken the time to compare comparable units from Fleetwood, Damon, Thor, and Winnebago. All the units we looked at were Bunk houses. Each manufacturer had the Ford Chassis under it. When comparing standard equipment Coachmen did seem to leave out some things others included (at a higher price) such as an Auto transfer switch, Spare tire and seat material was of lesser quality. When you install those items prices become very similar. Ultimately it came down to floor plan for us. We added some items and negotiated the price to fit our budget. I do wish however I could have gotten a Chevy Chassis as I have spent my life driving and working on Chevy stuff. I made a good living as a service advisor for a Ford dealer handling issues with Ford products. To be fair I spent 2 years in a GM dealer as well and starved as the breakdowns were less expensive to repair. I hope Ford has made great strides in quality and workmanship so I may receive many years of trouble free service from the Drive train on our new Motor home.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by campclan View Post
We take delivery on Saturday of our new Mirada. I have taken the time to compare comparable units from Fleetwood, Damon, Thor, and Winnebago. All the units we looked at were Bunk houses. Each manufacturer had the Ford Chassis under it. When comparing standard equipment Coachmen did seem to leave out some things others included (at a higher price) such as an Auto transfer switch, Spare tire and seat material was of lesser quality. When you install those items prices become very similar. Ultimately it came down to floor plan for us. We added some items and negotiated the price to fit our budget. I do wish however I could have gotten a Chevy Chassis as I have spent my life driving and working on Chevy stuff. I made a good living as a service advisor for a Ford dealer handling issues with Ford products. To be fair I spent 2 years in a GM dealer as well and starved as the breakdowns were less expensive to repair. I hope Ford has made great strides in quality and workmanship so I may receive many years of trouble free service from the Drive train on our new Motor home.

Congrats! Saturday will be an exciting day. Have fun and don't forget, one of you should video the entire walk through so you can look back at it later after you have forgotten what you were told. LOL

Or at least we have forgotten already. We took notes and video taped the entire "walk-of-ownership".

Have fun and hope to see you on the road some day so we can have a laugh and share car stories.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:47 PM   #11

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Roll.. Look forward to it!!
Old 04-07-2011, 05:33 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Campclan, we just purchased a 2011 Coachmen Concord 300TS. It too is built on a Ford chassis with the V10 6.8 gas engine. At first I was a little worried about Ford quality, but after doing a lot of research, which included talking to a lot of folks who have this engine, they had nothing but good things to say about it. As far as Coachmen quality it is as good as other manufactures. We have had a couple of very minor issues, that I fixed myself with the help of Coachmen Customer service. I found Coachmen Customer Service to be very helpful and to me that is very important. I was a little disappointed with calls not being returned or returned a day or two later from the dealership. The dealership is about 350 miles from my home, so I just can't jump in the coach and go to the dealership for minor issues.

As an added bonus, we got almost 14 miles per gallon driving it back from the dealership. At first I thought I made a mistake, so I did it again with the same results, I still didn't believe it, so I had the DW do it and she got the same figure. We are on our second tank and not that I want to have to put gas in the coach, I can't wait to see what it shows.

If you like the coach and it fits your needs, then buy it knowing that Coachmen Customer Service will help you no matter what.
DRosedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:51 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I purchased a Mirada 34BH in January and really like it. We have had very few issues and any we did have were solved by our dealer, Mid State RV in Byron, GA, without question.

The generator leaked oil. Dealer identified problem as a bad gasket and replaced it. Issue solved!

Had a water leak coming from under the shower 1 trip to service department and issue solved.

We have had no other problems in 4 months of ownership and we have used it a total of 21 days.

The coach is great. Drives like my Tahoe and extreemly quiet going down the road. Sure there are some convenience items that aren't on the coach, however for what I paid and what I got I'm very happy. I'll probably add the satellite dish and a few other goodies over the summer, but for now it's just fine!
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:52 PM   #14

Coachman's poor construction!

Our experience is that modern coachman motor homes are very poorly constructed! We own a 2007 bought new and 'untitled' in dec. Of '08. It was in the shop with many problems during the 1 year warranty. They were good to fix the problems; however not very quickly... Too many other coaches in line with problems.

Problems did not stop at that point! some are poor engineering, but most are simply poor workmanship!! It has 17,000 miles now & I think we have got it in shape. However, we would not go into shock if a new problem come along tomorrow!!

One major problem we will always have is that the generator is too small for the coach. Trips breakers on a regular basis. 2 a/c & anything else will almost guarantee a tripped breaker!!

It is a 36' aurora with a 'full side slide'(great feature).
We do not recommend coachman to anyone at this point! Our '96 coachman MOTOR HOME was tough as a boot! Not the new one!!!

AFTER FOREST RIVER BOUGHT THEM... THEY MAY BE BETTER??? DON'T KNOW ANYONE WITH ONE OUT OF WARRANTY.
HUGHJARRELL is offline   Reply With Quote