Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2011, 01:42 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

2012 Coachmen Mirada and Coachmen Quality in General

Howdy. We are currently looking to buy a new MH and I have my eye on a Coachman Mirada, probably the 32DS model. Please post your Coachmen experience...both good and bad.

Can anyone comment on Coachmen quality overall? Would they be considered a "mid level" manufacturer? (I'm new to this so I don't know what questions to ask. ) Thanks for any input.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i bought a 2012 mirada 32bh and lets just say i have had it 3 months now and it has spent more days at the dealer in stead of my own driv/ possesion, issues with the roof leaking, stairs dont work, lights keep burning out ( head lights/ turn signals) seat tore first time i sat in it( dinnet) door lock had to be replaced, sink counter leaks, they keep fixing it but i keep having the same issues. i do love the lay out of the coach but have called coachmen and have gotten a run around and they wont cover the seat under warentie the blam went right to me the guy in the clais said " i know you sat in that seat with a knife in your pocket) and i have had issues with getting parts especally for the stairs this will be the 4th time they have replaced the whole assembly and coachmen wont pay for any futher dionastics to see why the stair keep breaking down.
jimbooth25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:08 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbooth25 View Post
i bought a 2012 mirada 32bh and lets just say i have had it 3 months now and it has spent more days at the dealer in stead of my own driv/ possesion, issues with the roof leaking, stairs dont work, lights keep burning out ( head lights/ turn signals) seat tore first time i sat in it( dinnet) door lock had to be replaced, sink counter leaks, they keep fixing it but i keep having the same issues. i do love the lay out of the coach but have called coachmen and have gotten a run around and they wont cover the seat under warentie the blam went right to me the guy in the clais said " i know you sat in that seat with a knife in your pocket) and i have had issues with getting parts especally for the stairs this will be the 4th time they have replaced the whole assembly and coachmen wont pay for any futher dionastics to see why the stair keep breaking down.
Good grief, that sounds horrible. I hope your experience is not typical of Coachmen quality! Good luck to you in getting everything repaired and in good working order, and thanks for your response.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:22 AM   #4

I had initial problems and came to the conclusion that Coachman is a "value" player. Haven't changed my mind. However, though I had numerous problems with things that really should have been caught by quality control, (drivers seat controls wired backwards, windscreen fans reversed, burned out overhead lights, temp control wired incorrectly ), the dealer's service department (service manager really) took care of everything without complaint.

We took delivery in early April; it was September before we got all the kinks worked out. Multiple trips to the dealer (at our cost in fuel; about $78 round trip every time), not because the dealer didn't fix it correctly but because we kept finding things wrong. Handling was as issue too, eventually got tire pressures right, got a stabilizer installed and found a good shop for an alignment. Much better now.

Now we have a tweaked Coach that works well, handles well, and that we know pretty well. So be prepared to spend time and energy getting your new motorcoach straightened out.

I would have preferred a Newmar/Tiffin/Winney diesel pusher but my wife liked this floor plan (Encounter 37TZ) and so here we are with a gas coach, (may trade up later). What we did get was a real value since the cost of the new 2011 Encounter was less than half what a "recent" model used Diesel Pusher would have been.

Good luck and don't be afraid of Coachman just realize it's a value coach and prepare to spend some time getting it right. You'll have much fun and you can always trade up when and if it suits you.

One final comment. Talk to the service manager before you buy. If you like what you hear and feel comfortable with him/her, great. If you don't, move on, because you will be spending a lot of time with the dealers service manager vs the sales person who appropriately is off working on other sales.

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:27 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Overall our quality has been fine on our Mirada 34 BH. Have had a few problems but they have been taken care. We have been out about 100 day's so far this year and have put about 3,000 miles on the clock.

If i was going to complain it would be a minor complaint that the dealership we bought from is a little slow getting things done. For what I paid new the fit, finish, amenities and quality is where it should be.
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:31 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the responses; I appreciate it!
Old 10-31-2011, 07:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Thanks for the responses; I appreciate it!

Would be interesting to know if you have changed your mind based on what has been posted. If you buy, please come back and tell us what you purchased, and how it is going even if you buy another brand/model.

That information is useful to all of us.

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:59 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
Would be interesting to know if you have changed your mind based on what has been posted. If you buy, please come back and tell us what you purchased, and how it is going even if you buy another brand/model.

That information is useful to all of us.

Roll
Roll--We never got to see the Mirada; we bought a 2012 Fleetwood Bounder 33C and will pick it up on Friday. I understand that ALL brands have their issues, and thanks to this board I will be expecting our share when we drive away in our shiny new money pit. Thanks to all for your responses, and see you on the road!
Old 11-21-2011, 02:15 PM   #9

SarahW
We are in the same boat. Trying to decide between a Mirada 34BH for $70k or a Bounder 34B for $87k...both are new. We really want the Bounder but I can't decide if it's really worth the extra $17k over the Mirada. Both are really nice RV's but overall I like the Bounder more and I trust the quality a bit more.

What does everyone think? Is the Bounder really worth $17k more than the Mirada? They are both Ford V10's with nearly identical floor plan. The only real difference is who makes them and possibly the quality of the materials. Tough choice so far.
motoxer913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:27 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Motoxer913. I really like/love my Bounder. The price diff. you post is about 20%. Nothing to sneeze at. What are the list prices of the two before discounts. Your answer may be there. If they are about equally priced then I would say its hard to pass up the huge savings. If the Bounder lists for about 12-15,000 more then I would say go for the Bounder. Hope this post made sense.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Owner of Coachmen Mirada 32DS

We purchased our Mirada last year and now have 6500 miles and almost 100 days and nights aboard.
Positives:
1. Great drivetrain - Ford F10 engine and 5 speed are great. Long wheel base gives you a very stable ride. Even in the desert cross-winds and narrow roads it feels very stable and secure
2. Basic equipment works well - heater, AC, stove, microwave, water system, storage / dump works great and is above par.
3. Overall very pleased with purchase.

Negatives:
1. Queen Bed is terrible - purchased a luxury short queen to replace the supplied bed after 4 weeks.
2. Supplied cabinets need handy-man improvements - outfitted mine with more shelves and better slides. Added minor improvements which changed the cabinet utilization and made the storage and handiness much better.
3. There is no silver-ware drawer - added one under the sink which works great.
4. Outside storage doors and storage is marginal and difficult to utilize with the slides out.

OVERALL - We are very pleased with our Mirada and would recommend it to anyone.. for additional information or pictures of what I did to my unit - contact me directly. Art Robbins
artrob40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #12

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
[QUOTE="artrob40"]We purchased our Mirada last year and now have 6500 miles and almost 100 days and nights aboard.
Positives:
1. Great drivetrain - Ford F10 engine and 5 speed are great. Long wheel base gives you a very stable ride. Even in the desert cross-winds and narrow roads it feels very stable and secure
2. Basic equipment works well - heater, AC, stove, microwave, water system, storage / dump works great and is above par.
3. Overall very pleased with purchase.

Negatives:
1. Queen Bed is terrible - purchased a luxury short queen to replace the supplied bed after 4 weeks.
2. Supplied cabinets need handy-man improvements - outfitted mine with more shelves and better slides. Added minor improvements which changed the cabinet utilization and made the storage and handiness much better.
3. There is no silver-ware drawer - added one under the sink which works great.
4. Outside storage doors and storage is marginal and difficult to utilize with the slides out.

OVERALL - We are very pleased with our Mirada and would recommend it to anyone.. for additional information or pictures of what I did to my unit - contact me directly. Art Robbins[/QUOTE

Would you be willing to post pics of the silverware drawer?
Old 01-27-2012, 02:43 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Mirada Modifications

Yes, I would more than willing to post pictures of what changed I have made to my Coachmen Mirada 32DS. It is currently under a cover for the winter. Will uncover and post pictures in March / April timeframe.
Contact me if you have questions Art
artrob40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 02:51 PM   #14

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Art .. I look forward to seeing your Mods. My wife's comments when we bought it were " clearly no women were on the design team as it has no silverware drawer" lol my guess is she was right.

Tags
coachmen, quality