Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2018, 11:52 AM   #1

2015 Onan 4000 start procedure?

Hello
I'm baffled by my Onan 4k generator. The control panel in the rv has a prime switch. after holding 5 or so seconds, the light turns blue. If I hold the stop side of the switch the light also turns blue(lights up). but the generator seldom starts! if I go out to the Genny and remove the cover plate and press and hold that start prime switch the Genny starts right away? What could I be doing wrong. We just traded our Class A with the Marquis gold 5500 and it was not this difficult to start. Help!
Milom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2018, 12:22 PM   #2

Try priming for 25 to 45 seconds. I think your blue light just tells you it is priming; not that it is finished priming.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:05 PM   #3

I learned that you have to prime it for about 20 to 30 seconds for it to really kick over. The blue light just tells you that it switched into priming mode, so count to 15 or 20 after you see the blue light go on and then let go and try to start it.
HSR-Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:15 AM   #4

thanks for the reply's. Holding inside switch for 30 seconds does the trick! wonder why it starts right away from the outside Genny start switch?
Milom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:37 PM   #5

Shorter distance for the electricity to travel!!
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milom View Post
thanks for the reply's. Holding inside switch for 30 seconds does the trick! wonder why it starts right away from the outside Genny start switch?
Probably just luck to be honest. Even if it is starting right away down there, you should be priming it for 20 or so seconds just the same. During that time it's doing things to ensure it starts gently and the parts aren't being over stressed, which leads to a shorter working life.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:33 PM   #7

Mine usually only requires 5 to 10 seconds after the blue light comes on.

Restarting when warm out usually doesn’t require priming.

I think the primer runs the fuel pump to fill the line from the gas tank. So once full it stays full for a while. At least that’s my current theory.
LarryinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:51 PM   #8

Running the fuel pump to fill the carburator bowl is what the primer on gas generators does.

When not being used, the carb is open to atmosphere and the gas evaporates in a few days, so refilling is needed.

You generator may start from the outside switch, because it was partially primed when you used the inside switch.

When you shut down the generator, touch and release the stop button.

If you hold it until the prime light comes on, you are overriding the " run on valve " that blocks the gas from the carbs main jet.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 02:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Running the fuel pump to fill the carburator bowl is what the primer on gas generators does.

When not being used, the carb is open to atmosphere and the gas evaporates in a few days, so refilling is needed.

You generator may start from the outside switch, because it was partially primed when you used the inside switch.

When you shut down the generator, touch and release the stop button.

If you hold it until the prime light comes on, you are overriding the " run on valve " that blocks the gas from the carbs main jet.
Thanks for the detailed break down on what's happening 'behind the switch'. I did figure out that it's best to hold it down for priming about 20 seconds to get me a smooth quick startup - unless it was on within the hour, then it's pretty much a 2 second prime. When stopping I only just tap the switch. I figure there's no need to hold it down - it's never refused to stop running.

Tags
onan