Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2016, 12:44 PM   #1

2017 and-a-HALF Mirada 35BH

I am pretty sure we have literally the very first 2017-1/2 that came off the assembly line. That could either be good or bad. We've had it three weeks and have taken it on a local shake-down camp-out. All is well other than some VERY minor issues such as trim that came loose.

Here's the story leading up to buying this rig:

We shopped for about 4 months. During that time, we narrowed the search to Class A, then to a bunkhouse (we love to take the grandkids along), then to the Coachmen Mirada 35BH (we love the bath-and-a-half and the huge rear shower). Winnebago/Itasca has a very similar model, but it's quite a bit more expensive and we liked the look of the Coachmen better. We also like the Azdel well construction on the Coachmen. Although we liked the 2017 Mirada 35BH model, it had some minor issues that bugged us.

In talking to our local dealer, we found out that Coachmen decided to make some mid-year 2017 changes. He told us that he was going to the factory in a week and would come back with pictures and specs. He did just that! He had several pictures of one about three-quarters through assembly. He also gave us a partially completed new brochure. We were excited to see that they had addressed pretty much all of our "wants".

A greatly improved dashboard with a quick access top cover
Improved doghouse look and design with better soundproofing
A better-looking and improved design for the co-pilot computer tray
Wrap around co-pilot armrest with integrated A/C vent
A better choice (in our opinion) of exterior colors
Improved design on the couch
LED light strip under the awning
Metal cover over the awning

Those are all pretty minor things, but we decided to wait for the 2017-1/2 so we could get them. We were told that the first one would not be available until late November and would be shown exclusively at the November 28 to December 1 National RV Trade Show in Kentucky. Only after that would it be distributed to dealers. We saw online that MHSRV had a bunch on order, but they told us they would not receive any until after that show. We decided not to place the order quite yet.

Living in Southern CA, we decided to go to the Pomona RV show in October just for fun. We went on opening day. Boy were we stunned to see a new 2017-1/2 Coachmen Mirada 35BH sitting at the Dennis Dillon RV display. I don't know how they pulled that one off. Not only that, it was the EXACT colors and configuration that we would have ordered:

Full Body paint in "Mist" (new colors - blue, black, gray & white)
Stonewash interior fabric pallet
Dark "Cappuccino Cherry" wood
Drop down loft bed
Stainless Package which provides an 18 cu ft residential fridge
1000w Inverter with 6V batteries for the refrigerator
Auto-start for the generator
Upgraded front A/C to 15,000 BTU with heat pump

We had not gone to the show expecting to buy anything, but they told us the display unit was for sale and they were willing to deal, so we decided to negotiate a bit and see if we could get close to the price we wanted. Thankfully, we had done our homework and knew the best deal we could get on the original 2017, so then it was just a matter of how much more the 2017-1/2 was going to cost.

The negotiation went very quickly. We told them the price we wanted. They said "No". We said, "Then we'll just wait and order one". They said, "Hold on a minute, we'll check." THE Dennis Dillon walked up, introduced himself, said "Well, this one's going to hurt a bit, but congratulations!" as he signed the paperwork for the deal. We agreed to let them keep it for the rest of the show. They put a sign in the window that it was sold to us. We picked it up a few days after the show.
Michael Preyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2016, 06:56 PM   #2

PDF File of Paritally Completed Coachmen Brochure for Late 2017

Here is the file the local dealer obtained for me from the factory showing a bit of what to expect in the new models. It is a quick look at changes to the Pursuit, Mirada, Select and Sportscoach

http://www.preyerplanning.com/Coachm...-RVIA-SHOW.pdf

I found it interesting that the dash from the earlier 2017 Mirada is now being used on the Pursuit.

NOTE: The new dash picture for the Mirada shows the wrong seats. In fact, that picture is actually of the Select. The Mirada dash is the same as the Select. The Mirada seats, however, are the 2-tone seats from earlier in 2017.

Another interesting tidbit is that I've seen a few Mirada's advertised at dealers across the US that are a "mixture" of new and old with only SOME of the upgrades that ours got. If you are shopping for a 2017 or 2017-1/2, be wary of that. Apparently they are using up some stock with this mix-and-match method.
Old 11-18-2016, 02:01 PM   #3

Pictures of 2017 1/2 Mirada 35BH (PART 1)

These are pictures I took of our coach while it was at the Pomona RV show. They had it staged, so it was a good time for photos.

Old 11-18-2016, 06:25 PM   #4
WDW

Thank you for sharing the pics! We love your colors!!! However I prefer the "old" das design.

I'm interested in your auto gen start. Also is the heat pump in both units or just one?

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH. - our Trolley
2015 Jeep Cherokee Latitude

Western New York
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 07:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
Thank you for sharing the pics! We love your colors!!! However I prefer the "old" das design.

I'm interested in your auto gen start. Also is the heat pump in both units or just one?
I've not yet had a chance to use the auto generator start, so I don't know how effective it is. Ideally, it will come on during boondocking battery use if the voltage drops below a certain level. We shall see.

The new dash is a mixed bag for me. I actually liked the look of the old dash. What I didn't like was how it was suspended. The dash in my previous motorhome was suspended like that. It flexed, vibrated and danced all over the place, even on the freeway, but especially on bumpy road. This new dash is much more secure. I also LOVE that the new doghouse is not carpeted and that there are more cup holders.

Only the front AC has the heat pump. That's typically how the dealers order them. If we'd have placed a custom order, we'd have upgraded both of them, but considering that we got everything else we wanted on a rig that we didn't order, having just a front heat pump is OK with us.
Old 11-19-2016, 09:28 AM   #6
WDW

Thank you!

My chance you can add a couple of shots of your hump cover? I'm wondering if it is possible to order one to replace ours. Or is it integrated in to the new dash?

We REALLY DISLIKE ours and REALLY ( a lot and ALOT) dislike the shag gold carpet.

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH
2015 Jeep Roadmaster AT. tow bar with RVI2 supplemental.

Taking in the sight wherever our Trolley takes us...
Old 11-23-2016, 10:21 AM   #7

Pictures of the New Mirada Engine Cover Without Carpet

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
Thank you!

Any chance you can add a couple of shots of your hump cover? I'm wondering if it is possible to order one to replace ours. Or is it integrated in to the new dash?

We REALLY DISLIKE ours and REALLY (a lot and ALOT) dislike the shag gold carpet.
I'm sorry for the long delay. Here are some pictures.

The new engine shroud without carpet appears to be an exact replacement fit. In fact, since it is a multi-piece unit, I believe the same base works for both the Pursuit and the Mirada. Only the top cup-holder portion is a custom fit to the new Mirada dash. Therefore, the bottom section and trim for the new Pursuit should be perfect for your 2016 Mirada.

The first three pictures were taken from the multi-model brochure sent to me by the factory. The very first picture is of just the bottom section in the Mirada before they attached the upper cup-holder.

The rest of these pictures are from my rig. You can immediately see one down-side to not having carpet - shoe scuffs! I'll have to keep a bottle of cleaner handy to wipe it down regularly!

Old 11-23-2016, 10:51 AM   #8
WDW

Thank you very much. I'd take the scuffing over the carpet any day of the week.

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH
2015 Jeep Roadmaster AT. tow bar with RVI2 supplemental.

Taking in the sight wherever our Trolley takes us...
Old 01-22-2017, 03:54 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
We are seriously considering a Mirada in the next few months. Not sure i like the new dash but i will have to wait and see. I do however like the new hump cover, at least it is somewhat usable now.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:57 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Just wanted to give an updated and added info. We ordered what will be a 2018 we are told at the beginning of Feb.

There are a couple of other upgrades too. If you get the stainless package you will also get an auto transfer switch built in, as well as an auto start generator setup. Also in the 35kb they switched from one big awning to 2 smaller ones, one 10 and one 15 i believe are the sizes. We are pretty excited and eagerly awaiting delivery!
Old 08-26-2017, 07:22 PM   #11

How is your Coachmen Mirada now?

Hi

Found your posts very interesting and we are considering one of these units but the shorter 31FW.

Now that you've had this unit for sometime..have you had any major issues. How well does it handle? Have you done any suspension modifications? How is the engine noise with the new "doghouse" cover. Any feedback would be great.

Thanks

Don
donincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:17 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by donincanada View Post
Hi

Found your posts very interesting and we are considering one of these units but the shorter 31FW.

Now that you've had this unit for sometime..have you had any major issues. How well does it handle? Have you done any suspension modifications? How is the engine noise with the new "doghouse" cover. Any feedback would be great.

Thanks

Don
We did. I did suspension mods as soon as I got based on the reading i did here. We did rear trackbar, rear auxiliary sway bar, and the CHF on the front sway bar as well as a safeT plus steering stabilizer. We just came back from 22 hours each way to Colorado and it drove pretty well even in stiff cross winds. I would do this upgrade again for sure.

Engine noise is as expected. It's not a DP and we do prefer the new doghouse cover. In fact I am considering doing some dynamat to muffle the sound even more.

Now on to the Coachmen itself. I'll be honest I am disappointed. We have had a bunch of issues and a long list of them that just seem to keep coming up. All sorts of issues too some unrelated to coachmen but some they definitely own. The lack of QC is appalling, but to be fair I do believe it's industry wide, this is our first class A.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderson2228 View Post
We did. I did suspension mods as soon as I got based on the reading i did here. We did rear trackbar, rear auxiliary sway bar, and the CHF on the front sway bar as well as a safeT plus steering stabilizer. We just came back from 22 hours each way to Colorado and it drove pretty well even in stiff cross winds. I would do this upgrade again for sure.

Engine noise is as expected. It's not a DP and we do prefer the new doghouse cover. In fact I am considering doing some dynamat to muffle the sound even more.

Now on to the Coachmen itself. I'll be honest I am disappointed. We have had a bunch of issues and a long list of them that just seem to keep coming up. All sorts of issues too some unrelated to coachmen but some they definitely own. The lack of QC is appalling, but to be fair I do believe it's industry wide, this is our first class A.
Thanks for the update. Roughly what did the suspension modification cost?

We are going to Hershey PA to see all the Class A's this week. Should be interesting!

Don
donincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 08:32 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by donincanada View Post
Thanks for the update. Roughly what did the suspension modification cost?

We are going to Hershey PA to see all the Class A's this week. Should be interesting!

Don
I bought all the parts online as cheap as I could find them, then got them installed locally. It ended up costing about 2500$

Tags
ada, mirada