Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2012, 08:44 AM   #1

Banks: To be or not to be?

F53 chassis with the Triton 362 V-10 engine. Model year 2011.

Coach is almost 38 feet; 26,000 pounds GVW I believe.

I'm not really disappointed in the performance of the F53 but.... added torque would be nice to have, and my mileage is terrible at this point. With only one long trip and only 3 K miles on the odometer, I averaged 5.4 miles a gallon. Yikes. I pulled a 4dr wrangler, and food and water, and gas and I raced up the mountains, so I have areas to work on for a mileage improvement. Still 8 to 10 MPG would be nice.

So what about the Banks system, anyone trying it on a newer F53 and what are your thoughts about its value?

Haven't priced a full set up but guessing it's a grand or so.

Gary Ooops its 362 HP not 262.
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2012, 09:05 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Banks makes a very good system, but I view mileage gains with a grain of salt. It will cost well over $2k with installation. A 20% improvement would be 1.5 mpg. Banks PowerPack is only offering 7% improvement. Also, your coach probably still has factory warrantee left on it, is it covered with Banks mods? I would suggest your best thing for mileage improvement is reduce weight (1/3 water for example) and set speed at 60. Climb hills with an eye on RPM and temperature in lower gear, not mph. At 3000 miles, your coach is not even broken in, mileage will probably improve.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Yea, what Bflinn said. I bet you could add 1mpg (20%) by just changing your driving habits (I did). Look imto the 5 Star Tune, well worth the $400.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:29 AM   #4

I have a 2012 Mirada 29DS. Towing a Subaru Forester I find I can do more like 7 MPG if I hold the speed down to 55 and don't climb too many hills. Bringing it back from Denver area and not towing, I got more like 6 MPG. I was also running along at 65 much of the time. I have about 6,000 miles on mine.
Tom
autowrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:37 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Mileage improvement claims are smoke and mirrors. Any add-on that will improve your mileage will never be paid for through those fuel savings over the average life of the vehicle. If you're looking to save MONEY by the MPG increases a Banks system will bring, you'll likely be disappointed if you look at it objectively.

On the other hand, there are very real performance gains to be had with these sort of systems. I have questions about what long-term costs these performance gains will bring: Shorter working life? Increased wear? I don't know. I'm sure there are lots of differing opinions on the subject.

For me, I get acceptible performance and fuel economy with my straight stock chassis. I doubt I would see $2k+ worth of added value by installing it. If I did, I would never expect it to pay for itself, and I would half-expect to have to pay for repairs I would not otherwise have had to.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
Mileage improvement claims are smoke and mirrors. Any add-on that will improve your mileage will never be paid for through those fuel savings over the average life of the vehicle. If you're looking to save MONEY by the MPG increases a Banks system will bring, you'll likely be disappointed if you look at it objectively.

On the other hand, there are very real performance gains to be had with these sort of systems. I have questions about what long-term costs these performance gains will bring: Shorter working life? Increased wear? I don't know. I'm sure there are lots of differing opinions on the subject.

For me, I get acceptible performance and fuel economy with my straight stock chassis. I doubt I would see $2k+ worth of added value by installing it. If I did, I would never expect it to pay for itself, and I would half-expect to have to pay for repairs I would not otherwise have had to.
Thanks to all posters. Good thoughts all and at $2K I won't be making any changes, at least for now. The F53 does not perform poorly, I was just interested if for a reasonable sum, I might encourage a little more air through the big pump. $2K isn't reasonable for a chassis that is already performing well.

Again, thanks.

Gary
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 10:28 AM   #7

You may want to check with Brazel's Performance RV Brazel's RV Centralia Washington
or 5 Star Tuning 5 Star Tuning | Custom Dynomemeter Chassis Tuning Products and Services

Both of the above can furnish you with a reprogrammed strategy for the PCM on your coach which could provide a bit extra power and change the shift points in your transmission.

I wouldn't expect any mpg improvement however.

Good luck & Safe travels..

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote