Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2010, 05:29 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Bike Rack for Palomino Stampede

I called Palomino's customer service and asked about any restrictions regarding mounting a bike rack to the 4" square bumper on my HTT.

The Palomino rep told me that they don't recommend mounting a bike rack because the bumper has a strength of 75# of force. When I asked about reinforcing the frame, she advised me to contact Dexter Frame.

The Dexter Frame rep told me that the do not recommend any modification to reinforce the frame including installation of a receiver hitch.

Well, I found this nice hitch and thought that it should do real well bolted into the frame on both the horizontal and vertical plates of the "I" beam.

So before I buy the hitch, I want to hear from anyone who has either successfully or unsuccessfully attached a similar hitch to the back of their camper and is carrying bicycles. I want to carry up to 4 bikes.

Thanks,
George
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2010, 07:14 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Miklas View Post
So before I buy the hitch, I want to hear from anyone who has either successfully or unsuccessfully attached a similar hitch to the back of their camper and is carrying bicycles. I want to carry up to 4 bikes.
George, Glad to see you back. Now if the RV manufacturer and the axle/frame manufacturer advised against installing a receiver, I would tend to go along with those recommendations.

Short of seeing the Palomino, I hesitate giving an endorsement to your plan.

How about getting an adaptor on the receiver from the van and mounting the bikes?
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 07:39 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
How about getting an adaptor on the receiver from the van and mounting the bikes?
Hi Mike,

I have considered these. My hold back is that any bike rack mounted to the hitch will inhibit the opening of the van's rear doors.

My other options include:
-tongue mounted bike racks (not sure I have enough linear space between the van/trailer to mount 4 bikes
-Thule roof racks on the van (I will have to carry a step ladder to load and unload the bikes)
-Reese Front Hitch on the van (not sure on carrying 4 bikes here either)

George
Old 07-21-2010, 07:44 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
I have considered these. My hold back is that any bike rack mounted to the hitch will inhibit the opening of the van's rear doors.
George, How about a nice 12" extension tube and plugs into the the van's receiver first? Would that allow you to open the doors?
Old 07-22-2010, 03:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Well, I found this nice hitch and thought that it should do real well bolted into the frame on both the horizontal and vertical plates of the "I" beam.
Thanks,
George
I've successfully mounted a similar hitch to my Sunnybrook, not a Palomino but how much can the frames of these RV's differ, there's usually 2 main box beams running front to back, the only difference is probably the gauge steel used. Here's the hitch I used: http://www.hidden-hitches.com/motorhome_hitch.htm
Had I called Sunnybrook I might have been met with the same non-recommendation, I think that is just a liability hedge, no engineering was specifically done to determine that the hitch would or would not work.

I like the design of your hitch better though because the plates bolt on the side of the beam, instead of the bottom. That's a much stronger design because the torque is perpendicular to the bolts instead of fighting to pull them out.
Regarding the access to do
ors and tires, I think most of the bike racks fold down to restore access. My bike rack carries 4 bikes, although I stuff the kids in the RV and only use the rack for mine and my wife’s. I also use a strap from the frame to the bike rack to help suppress the bouncing, very important in my mind; it also adds a measure of safety, like the chains on a travel trailer.

-John
JohnKoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:51 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
George, How about a nice 12" extension tube and plugs into the the van's receiver first? Would that allow you to open the doors?
Mike,

I'm unsure about using the extension, with my Reese Dual Cam hitch. Is this even advised?

George

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKoz View Post
I've successfully mounted a similar hitch to my Sunnybrook, not a Palomino but how much can the frames of these RV's differ, there's usually 2 main box beams running front to back, the only difference is probably the gauge steel used. Here's the hitch I used: http://www.hidden-hitches.com/motorhome_hitch.htm
Had I called Sunnybrook I might have been met with the same non-recommendation, I think that is just a liability hedge, no engineering was specifically done to determine that the hitch would or would not work.

I like the design of your hitch better though because the plates bolt on the side of the beam, instead of the bottom. That's a much stronger design because the torque is perpendicular to the bolts instead of fighting to pull them out.
John,

My frame is an "I" beam. The plates are approximately 1/8" thick.

As I look at the frame, I wonder if the thickness will support the receiver hitch. Since this hitch's side plates are 1/4" thick, I would make 1/4" backing plates to sandwich my 1/8" frame rails. I think that welding it to my frame is too risky, but bolting might be fine.

George
Old 07-22-2010, 06:51 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
George,

I'm not at all sure how that would work out with a Reece Dual-Cam setup but I would expect that you would not want to put a lot of pressure on an extension tube.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Mike,

I'm unsure about using the extension, with my Reese Dual Cam hitch. Is this even advised?

George

John,

My frame is an "I" beam. The plates are approximately 1/8" thick.

As I look at the frame, I wonder if the thickness will support the receiver hitch. Since this hitch's side plates are 1/4" thick, I would make 1/4" backing plates to sandwich my 1/8" frame rails. I think that welding it to my frame is too risky, but bolting might be fine.

George
If it's an "I" beam, I don't think I would use an under-the-beam mount like I did, the sandwhich idea sounds promising, except you'd have to make sure that the plate has enough "jog" so it goes around the bottom of the "I" rest against the middle.

George, how about a pic?

-John
JohnKoz is offline   Reply With Quote