Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2015, 01:29 PM   #1

"Charging Station" USB chargers not charging

I have been plugging our cell phones into the USB chargers near the TV, at the "Charging Station" and wake up in the morning with no charge.

Is there a switch somewhere that turns those on?

Currently running on shore power. Everything else seems to be working.
scottandanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2015, 05:40 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
I had an issue with ours in our XLR. They run on 12v so it shouldn't matter if you are plugged in or not. Ours was actually defective and toasted two iphone 6's. What brand phone do you have? Ours weren't charged in the AM and when I tried them back on their regular chargers at home the lightning port on both was dead. Couldn't charge or connect to the laptop. Did a factory reset on one and still no good so hardware not software. Apple had to replace both. Hope that's not the case with yours. Post up a pic of your charging station and I'll be able to tell you if we have the same brand.
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:05 PM   #3

We are using Samsung Galaxy 4S phones. The phones have not gotten messed up...yet. They continue to charge when we get back into the house.

I will try to get out there soon and take a picture of the charging station. We are currently "under the weather" (just outside of Houston...) so I may not get out to the trailer for a while.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:15 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandanna View Post
We are using Samsung Galaxy 4S phones. The phones have not gotten messed up...yet. They continue to charge when we get back into the house.

I will try to get out there soon and take a picture of the charging station. We are currently "under the weather" (just outside of Houston...) so I may not get out to the trailer for a while.
Understood. You'd need a canoe to get there I imagine! Glad to hear you don't have an issue with the phones on their standard chargers. You can also pull the faceplate and two screws that hold the port to the wall and do a test to see if you're getting 12v.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
Understood. You'd need a canoe to get there I imagine! Glad to hear you don't have an issue with the phones on their standard chargers. You can also pull the faceplate and two screws that hold the port to the wall and do a test to see if you're getting 12v.
I could try that.

I should be able to get to the trailer sometime in the next day or two.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:34 AM   #6

Quote:
I had an issue with ours in our XLR. They run on 12v so it shouldn't matter if you are plugged in or not. Ours was actually defective and toasted two iphone 6's. What brand phone do you have? Ours weren't charged in the AM and when I tried them back on their regular chargers at home the lightning port on both was dead. Couldn't charge or connect to the laptop. Did a factory reset on one and still no good so hardware not software. Apple had to replace both. Hope that's not the case with yours. Post up a pic of your charging station and I'll be able to tell you if we have the same brand.
Still storming down here, but I remembered that I had some pics from a couple weeks ago. Can you tell from this pic if it is the same one?

It is the oval thing lowest on that back wall, with black wire coming out of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img (8).jpg
Views:	474
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	97555  
Old 06-17-2015, 11:41 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
I believe so. It is made by a company called Sigma Switch. Here is a link to their site: ROCKER SWITCHES by SIGMA | SPDT SPST DPST DPDT Momentary, Lighted, Waterproof & Miniature (Mini)

Looks like yours is this model?

If you scroll down you will see the 5200 series which looks like yours. Mine was more basic but the same brand. They are very nice people to talk to and if yours is defective, I'm sure they will send you a replacement. I'd test to make sure it's getting 12V before contacting them though. If you do have to deal with them direct, you will likely talk with Adrian the owner. Really nice guy...
Old 06-17-2015, 01:08 PM   #8

Quote:
I believe so. It is made by a company called Sigma Switch. Here is a link to their site: ROCKER SWITCHES by SIGMA | SPDT SPST DPST DPDT Momentary, Lighted, Waterproof & Miniature (Mini)

Looks like yours is this model?

If you scroll down you will see the 5200 series which looks like yours. Mine was more basic but the same brand. They are very nice people to talk to and if yours is defective, I'm sure they will send you a replacement. I'd test to make sure it's getting 12V before contacting them though. If you do have to deal with them direct, you will likely talk with Adrian the owner. Really nice guy...
Yep, that looks like it. I will check the voltage next time I get out there and give them a call if needed.

Thanks for your guidance
Old 06-17-2015, 01:16 PM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandanna View Post
Yep, that looks like it. I will check the voltage next time I get out there and give them a call if needed.

Thanks for your guidance
Glad I could help!
Old 06-19-2015, 10:05 AM   #10

Well, I have pulled it out of the wall, and the cigarette lighter-type receptacle is hot with the ground being the sides, like it should be. From there the wires jump over to the USB ports and they are hot at the posts, but no power coming from the USBs.

Adrian is emailing back and forth, and thinks the factory may have crossed the wires shorting out the USBs.

Sounds like an easy fix...
Old 06-19-2015, 10:09 AM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Glad you're on it and Adrian is taking care of you. I had a reverse polarity situation with my factory roof top solar panel. Luckily I noticed it wasn't charging before damage was done. That would have been a bigger swap than a USB port! I talked with another owner who had the same happen and it ruined the whole panel by melting all his diodes...
Old 06-19-2015, 10:34 AM   #12

The specified output voltage for the USB port is 5 V not 12. The cigarette lighter sized hole should be 12 V.

The USB should have a 12 V to 5 V regulator built in. They can fail in 3 ways. If the circuit is smart and your device tries to draw too much current the 5 V line drops to ~0. That is expensive but can self reset when the load is removed.

The more common cheap approach is the regulator supplies current until it gets too hot and fry's. If you are lucky it fails to an open circuit. If you are not lucky it fails to a short and you get 12 V on the pin that should be 5 V. 100% overload will fry most electronics plugged in.

The big problem is testing the output of the USB. Most meter probes do not fit. I made an adapter from an old cable with a bad other end. Just cut the cable off and identified the 2 power wires. Stripped and tinned them so I could use my meter. If I did more I would put a connector on it but I do not check that many. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:48 AM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
I don't think anyone thought it should be 12v at the USB output Mark. We were simply checking for 12v at the input.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:58 AM   #14

Adrian says, regarding reversing the polarity at the factory....

"That is possible.* We have redesigned the USB to have no polarity.*"

So this must be a common issue.

northermark...stripping an old USB cable is a good idea for using with a tester! Thanks for the idea!

Tags
charging