Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2013, 08:20 AM   #1

Charleston 430BH

At the Dallas RV Show last week we saw a FR Charleston 430BH. WE are very interested in the floor plan, but there were no salespeople or brochures in the area. We would appreciate any input, good or bad, about that coach. I do not know many details about it...engine?...side radiator?...length?..., but most of all maintenance and quality reputation.
Thanks for all input!
James Macfet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2013, 05:37 PM   #2

Stay away from any forest River units! If I could get rid of mine I would.
JB Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Macfet View Post
At the Dallas RV Show last week we saw a FR Charleston 430BH. WE are very interested in the floor plan, but there were no salespeople or brochures in the area. We would appreciate any input, good or bad, about that coach. I do not know many details about it...engine?...side radiator?...length?..., but most of all maintenance and quality reputation.
Thanks for all input!

Most of the Forest River motorhomes that are out there are Berkshires which are built on the same line as the Charlestons. The Charleston 430BH is basically a stepped up version of the Berkshire 390bh. It's a bit nicer and has the tag and a bigger engine. We watched them build a Charleston when we were at the factory a year ago. They are a very nice looking rig and I think probably one of the few tag axle bunk models out there.

As to the reputation of Forest River and their motorhomes, we have had very good luck with ours and have found Forest River to be a great company. We had some weight issues with our rig and Forest River stepped up and made things right even though we are over two years out of warranty. Others have mentioned about FR fixing things way out of warranty at the Forest River Owners Group (FROG) get together in Elkhart.

Sometimes it is hard to judge the quality of Forest River because each division operates somewhat autonomously and the quality can vary between divisions. The Berkshire has been a great unit for us and I have no reason to believe the Charleston would be any different.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a Berkshire, made by Forest River, and I would not hesitate to purchase another! Their customer service is some of the best around.

I had a few problems, when new, and got the run around from the dealer, but when I involved Forest River the dealer problems just went away. Since my summer home is a couple of hours north of Elkhart, each spring, I take my coach to the factory for maintenance and inspection.

Last April they found an issue with our power management system. They replaced everything at no charge even though our coach was a few months out of warranty! Who does that now day's?
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:55 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to ie2special
I am looking at one too, loved it in person, it is on our short list. We need bunks, residential fridge, Vac, W/D, and the freezer.
ie2special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:26 AM   #6

I looked at the Charleston at the Tampa show. It was the bunk model. Nice looking rig and pretty reasonable on the pricing. I'm not sure if RVOne handles the Charleston, but if they do you might want to get a price from them.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:47 PM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to ie2special
Remember, this is just my observations of 2 units at the same dealership.

The tile floors were not straight. There were pieces of wood trim misaligned. It had large gaps in doorways, loose door hardware, and a lot of caulk/grout all over the place.

I was horrified considering the price tag.