Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2017, 08:48 PM   #1

Coachmen Freelander Owners

Was at the Houston RV Show recently. My wife and I fell in love with the Coachmen Freelander 27QBC floorplan. Lots of storage, easy for me to get my 6'2 foot body into the cockpit and into the walk around bed, and no slides. We have rented RVs 3 times in the past and are ready to buy ... so we are not exactly newbies, but unfamiliar with Coachmen.

I was wondering if any of you had any bad things to say about the Freelander, or Coachmen's quality control ... or anything at all about the brand / model.

Thank you!
Eratosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2017, 11:46 PM   #2
JnC

We had a 2015 22 qrbc that worked well for several years. It is an entry level coach so, some of the fit / finish could have been better. The bathroom in ours was small and water could easily splash along the wall of the counter. The cabinets appeared to be wrapped with paper over a mystery board, but all the appliances worked, the water capacity was higher than some others, and it had lots of storage. Searching the internet there are a fair share of complaints with Coachmen, but again, keep in mind it's an entry level coach. We added an extra battery in the battery compartment, a small inverter by the cab over tv, and took that thing everywhere, Canada, etc. The Chevrolet performed well in my opinion, but your MPG will only be approx. 10 or so (but gas isn't too bad right now). I chose the Chevrolet over Ford for the heavier chassis, but I think the 27' (ford or chevrolet) are on the 4500 or 450 chassis. If your looking for a long term coach, I don't know if it's the right investment, I'd look for higher quality. If you think you'll transition in a couple of years and purchase at 30/ off MSRP you'll should be OK. BTW - never had any issues with the slide, it works well, and it really helped with interior space and later resale.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:15 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
I have had 2 Freelanders - a 2011 31ss on the Ford. E450 and now a 2015 32BH on the Chevy 4500. I have liked both coaches, but actually (and surprisingly since I'm a "Ford guy") like the Chevy better - seems to be a smoother ride without the high revs and noise of the V-10. Bought both of my rigs out of the Giant Recreation World rental fleet here in Orlando. Saved a TON of money compared to new, picked the best of the coaches available, and the dealer tweaked the few things needed make it new again.

Other than that JnC is spot on regarding fit and finish, etc. Overall I think they are good for what they are intended for as reasonably priced family coaches. Long term I would want A higher end coach.
2019 Coachmen Mirada 35BH; 2017 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MBS (Traded); 2015 Coachmen Freelander 32BH (Traded); 2011 Coachmen Freelander 31SS (Traded); 2005 TrailCruiser 30SS (Traded); 1999 Forest River Flagstaff (25') (Traded)
Jcf0527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:01 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
We have a 2013 28QB on the 4500 2012 Chev chassis. Our first RV. We are happy with it. No slides. Now that we have used it a few years we would prefer a slide for getting through the living area and around the dogs.
We like the 28QB floor plan.
We have looked at RV shows and occasionally at a dealer, but not seen anything that we needed or thought was better for us. The TV below the cabinet and behind the sink is in our opinion better than one over the cab. Easier on the neck and if rained in we can easily seat four in view of it.
Paul
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coachmen