RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:56 PM   #1

Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB weight management ideas

So DW and I pulled the trigger on this rig which is on order. We deleted the integrated camping table and little fridge in the back which may get us to 2,000 cargo capacity. I know this is tight even for 2 people.

Any Lep owners or others in similar situation willingly to share weight management ideas? Does anyone know if that model is front or back axle heavy?

We will be flat towing a Jeep Cherokee and will do shorter 2 week trips for now.

Thanks in advance!

Caliwish is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2019, 04:48 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliwish View Post
So DW and I pulled the trigger on this rig which is on order. We deleted the integrated camping table and little fridge in the back which may get us to 2,000 cargo capacity. I know this is tight even for 2 people.

Any Lep owners or others in similar situation willingly to share weight management ideas? Does anyone know if that model is front or back axle heavy?

We will be flat towing a Jeep Cherokee and will do shorter 2 week trips for now.

Thanks in advance!
For the 100 pounds you'll save it is well worth an extra table and outdoor fridge.
We bought the 311fs and carry an extra table and cooler for out side so we don't run in and out all the time. For 2 week trips I don't think you will need to worry about weight so much. order it you can always take it out if you need to, but i think you'll like the added feature.

nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:25 AM   #3

Good to hear that you enjoy the table and fridge nvs4602. Itís nice to have that option. DW and I decided we wanted the pass through storage. Also, we decided this will be our forever Rv (4th C class) and are eying the future as full timers or long timers.

Personally, I always thought we would hold out for a nice class A with all the bells and whistles, but we also wanted to be small enough to get into national and some state parks. Of course when DW walked into the rig ,she said this is a class A layout in a C. I tried to find something I could object to, but was speechless ... I couldnít argue with the price or layout.

So far I am going on an RV diet and am surprised on how much weight I can loss by going with quality lighter RV accessories. Up to only 176 lbs not counting food. We donít boondock much and donít carrying water in the tanks usually.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:12 AM   #4

Angry

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
While your Leprechaun 31 probably has the E450 chassis, the long overhang makes it likely that staying under the rear axle weight will require care.
We weighed everything we put aboard and made a spreadsheet for our 25 ft. 2005 Itasca. Weighing the RV with nothing but full fuel gives you a good starting point. Of course you need to weigh again after you load it up. We were able to come in at cargo weight of 1205 and still be under the total weight of 11500 for the E350. Our problem was not exceeding the rear axle weight of 7800#, while our front weight was more than 1000# under the 4600# limit. One thing that helped a lot was to move the 82# spare tire from the rear under the coach rack to the front bumper. We used the bolt bracket that was used to hold the tire on and just had to drill two holes in the bumper to make it work.
Basically everything you store behind the drive axle is carried by the drive axle and everything forward of the drive axle is split between the drive and steering axles. We store everything heavy that we can in front of the drive axle and lighter stuff in the rear. Our final weights were 3751# front and 7620# rear for 11378 total.
We moved on to a Mirada this year and have updated our spreadsheet and are still weighing everything we put aboard. We are currently up to 1656# with much of that, the larger water tank rather than more stuff.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 07:38 PM   #5

Teamfoxy,

Thanks for the info. It took me awhile to realize that in my last rv. I always thought that the heavy engine block would offset the overhang, but of course , I was wrong. I plan on putting my heavier items in my forward compartments. Also, DW wants to use the overhead bunk for storage. We do not have a spare to put upfront.

Also, I am in contact with Coachmen and here is there response about getting 4 corner weights:

Chris - thank you for the inquiry. I will look into some general numbers for you, but until the motorhome is manufactured we will not have the 4 wheel weights. We do try to keep the motorhome weight as balanced (left to right) as possible and make sure they fall within guidelines set forth by the chassis manufacturer. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,

Ronald Ross
Service & Warranty Manager
Coachmen Class C Division of Forest River, Inc.

I will let you guys know what he finds out.

Caliwish
Old 03-20-2019, 05:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Teamfoxy,

Thanks for the info. It took me awhile to realize that in my last rv. I always thought that the heavy engine block would offset the overhang, but of course , I was wrong. I plan on putting my heavier items in my forward compartments. Also, DW wants to use the overhead bunk for storage. We do not have a spare to put upfront.

Also, I am in contact with Coachmen and here is there response about getting 4 corner weights:

Chris - thank you for the inquiry. I will look into some general numbers for you, but until the motorhome is manufactured we will not have the 4 wheel weights. We do try to keep the motorhome weight as balanced (left to right) as possible and make sure they fall within guidelines set forth by the chassis manufacturer. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,

Ronald Ross
Service & Warranty Manager
Coachmen Class C Division of Forest River, Inc.

I will let you guys know what he finds out.

Caliwish
I have yet to find a place to get 4 corner weights. Every CAT scale I have been to has the scale set up so that it is impossible to only put two wheels on. Several people have told me that there is often someone at ralleys that will do it. I don't know the starting point, but our spreadsheet shows that the cargo weight favors the passenger side by about 80#.
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:53 AM   #7

So... no more info from Coachmen. Rig came in today. Looks nicely built, but fireplace wonít heat, and they forgot to install double pane windows. Dw and I decided not to accept until fixed. Coachmen decided to place a new order for a new rig instead of sending the windows to the dealer. We will get our new rig in June. Luckily we are not in a hurry.

I will get a Cat scale weight and let you guys know then.

Tags
weight, coachmen