Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2016, 01:12 PM   #1

Coachmen Mirada interior lighting problem

Greetings All,
I have a 2003 Coachmen Mirada 34' , class A, motorhome that is giving me fits...I recently found that the 12v lights above the kitchen area and the main entry area, on the ceiling, have both stopped working...these are 2 bulb fixtures with a switch on them to use 1 or both lamps...both just stopped working at the same time. I thought that perhaps they were being controlled by a wall switch, but I have tried them in all positions and no light. I tested all 4 bulbs and they work. how would I begin to track this problem down?

Also, If anyone could tell me where the 12v fuse panel would be located for this coach, I would be very grateful...I have checked under the hood, under the steps, in the cabinets, and in the lost-and-foundstill no fuse panel found for the 12v in coach system. any help appreciated
Geezer Mike
mbdmtrasdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2016, 01:25 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
As for your ceiling lights, check for blown fuses first.

If your Mirada is similar to my 2001, the 12 volt converter and distribution is below the fridge. You can look at the photos in this link to give you an idea where the fuses are. The top of the panel should swing open to reveal the AC breakers and the 12 volt fuses.

Upgrading converter to 4 stage | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

If the fuses are OK, the next step would be to remove each ceiling fixture, one at a time and see if any of the wires are broke. Odds are the ceiling lights are daisy chained, so iif a wire is broke, you'll lose all the lights down the line from the break.

NOTE - On mine, the ceiling light thats located all the way forward is controlled by a wall switch that is very low at the entry door. You might check to see if this controls two of your ceiling lights. I relocated these switches for better access by moving them up to the top of the entry way.

http://www.2001mirada.com/relocating...ight-switches/

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:23 PM   #3

2003 coachman mirada-ceiling lights

ok,
I was able to finally locate the fuse panel...all fuses are good. The switched outlet is fed with an orange-blue wire...wire shows no cont. between ends(switch to light)...I ran a jumper wire from the switch to the light and it works...how does one run a new wire in the ceiling and the wall?...of course they probably tied the wire bundle every 6 inches from ceiling to switch, no pulling a new wire with the old. Those battery operated push lights are looking better all the time-not!
thanks
mike
Old 10-21-2016, 11:33 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Are you saying that the wall switch ( The one that I referred to) is supposed to control the ceiling lights?? I'm a little confused by your last post??

Look on the back of the switch and verify one of the wires isn't pulled loose. Do the same on both ceiling fixtures. Remove the fixtures, give the wires a little tug to make sure they are not broken.

On mine, the ceiling fixture farthest forward is controlled by the wall switch at the entry door.

If you can't pull in a new wire using the old wire, One trick I use is to use the small / thin self adhesive "Wire Mold". Look at this article, photos 5 and 6. You can see how I used a short piece of wire mold mounted on the ceiling from the ceiling fixture to the wall. I then ran my new wires inside the wire mold.

http://www.2001mirada.com/adding-bat...t-wall-switch/

You can buy wire mold at any of the big box hardware stores. I wouldn't rely solely on the self adhesive to hold it against the ceiling, put a couple screws in it to hold it up..
Old 10-25-2016, 05:01 AM   #5

Smile 2003 Mirada lighting problem

Greetings
You were right-on. I was able to pull on the ground wire for the non-switched fixture and both fixtures started working...must be the daisy-chained ground that feeds both circuits....Thanks for the help.
Mike
Old 10-25-2016, 05:36 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Glad it was something simple and easy to get at. Vibration is the #1 enemy of all motor homes/

On another issue - Anytime I run into another Mirada owner, I fell obligated to pass on this safety information..

Next time you poke your head in the front wheel wells, look at the screws that hold the sidewall to the floor. There is a piece of angle iron up against the floor and wall. There should be ten screws that go into the wall and ten screws that go up into the floor..

Emergency Exterior Wall Repair | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Tags
ada, coachmen, interior, light, mirada