Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2014, 02:01 PM   #15

DEF $$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by gebills View Post
Gordon; may I ask where you are buying DEF for $2.80 a gallon. I've been buying my DEF at O'Reilleys Auto Parts at $14.95 per 2.5gal box. Walmart is an outrageous $19.and change. Sears is in the $23 range. I suspect you are buying in bulk somehow. If your buying it in the truck lanes at Flying J, how is it dispensed? Thanx,
My experience is " Walmart $12.00 give or take ! $1.00!
John and Susan. New 2018 Chevrolet 2500 2 WHD . 6.6 Duramax 3.73 rearend. .4 door ,Short, Bed W/Topper. 2017 Grand Design 297 RSTS. Our rescue dog Annie. Still ,Full timing since 07-01-2011. No sticks and bricks.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2014, 02:04 PM   #16

DEF

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitcrew18 View Post
As easy as def is to purchase at your local truck stop where I fill up on my trips, it is not worth saving a few pennies if that is really the case to worry about shelf life.
I have found DEF IS AVAILABLE at most Walmarts across the us!
I don't need the stress.
John and Susan. New 2018 Chevrolet 2500 2 WHD . 6.6 Duramax 3.73 rearend. .4 door ,Short, Bed W/Topper. 2017 Grand Design 297 RSTS. Our rescue dog Annie. Still ,Full timing since 07-01-2011. No sticks and bricks.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 02:28 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
For those that are asking how they know how long the DEF was on the shelf at the merchant. I can tell you what my brother did at the CASE dealer he was parts manager at the dealerships several stores. He tells me he would rotate out his stock every 6 months. He would purchase & store what the store was projected to use in that 6 month period. What he actually did with it when he took it off the shelf I do not remember. But I know he did not sell DEF over 6 months old & his dealerships were in PA.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Hi Gebills
I bought it at the Flying J in Minot ND and Dodge City KS.

I use the pumps for dispensing. When I put the charge card in it asks me if I want fuel, DEF or both. I generally do one at a time because I have to move the coach to get the hose to reach. The nozzle has a shutoff so select DEF, pull out the nozzle, stick it in the tank and when the shutoff clicks I have enough.

Hope you can use the Flying J option. I hope other brands such as Loves will have the same opportunities for using the truck lanes for fuel and DEF. I have to this point only used Flying J so cannot say for sure.

Thanks Gordon; we typically try to fuel at the Flying J sites where available so we can count on being able to maneuver around the pump areas. I didn't use the DEF fluid in the old 2011 Cummins as it was tuned and setup to not have to add the urea. With the new 2015 Cummins, when on the first DEF tank, I got fooled a bit. The gauge indicated it was half full at about 1500 to 1600 miles. Within the next 750 miles, it was hovering on empty and I was afraid the engine would shut down even though I was not towing at the time. Bought my first box of DEF at a O'Reilly's at the north side of KC while parked in Basswood RV park. I went out after the closest box of DEF I could find and it happened to be an O'Reilly's parts store at a reasonable price. I think for the amount we use when we are towing, the Flying J DEF fill-up makes much sense. I presume the hose for the DEF at Flying J is reasonably small to fit the truck DEF filler neck. The diesel fill nozzle tube on the pump is typically the large 1" filler pipe and that always proves to be a little challenge in getting the Ram filler neck to take fuel that fast but generally succeed. Thanks for the help. gebills.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:34 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppopc View Post
I have found DEF IS AVAILABLE at most Walmarts across the us!
I don't need the stress.
Heard there was some scams where some folks were buying DEF at Walmart, filling the empty jugs with water and returning it. Walmart was then restocking and selling the water filled jugs.

The verdict was to ensure the seals were intact on any jugs purchased.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:48 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gebills View Post

Thanks Gordon; we typically try to fuel at the Flying J sites where available so we can count on being able to maneuver around the pump areas. I didn't use the DEF fluid in the old 2011 Cummins as it was tuned and setup to not have to add the urea. With the new 2015 Cummins, when on the first DEF tank, I got fooled a bit. The gauge indicated it was half full at about 1500 to 1600 miles. Within the next 750 miles, it was hovering on empty and I was afraid the engine would shut down even though I was not towing at the time. Bought my first box of DEF at a O'Reilly's at the north side of KC while parked in Basswood RV park. I went out after the closest box of DEF I could find and it happened to be an O'Reilly's parts store at a reasonable price. I think for the amount we use when we are towing, the Flying J DEF fill-up makes much sense. I presume the hose for the DEF at Flying J is reasonably small to fit the truck DEF filler neck. The diesel fill nozzle tube on the pump is typically the large 1" filler pipe and that always proves to be a little challenge in getting the Ram filler neck to take fuel that fast but generally succeed. Thanks for the help. gebills.
You are welcome. Happy motoring. No DEF for the Ford but same issue with the filler spout. Most of the time I hand run the nozzle to fill it.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:17 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Which poses the question: If DEF has a shelf life, and I am normally "topping off" the DEF, then some of that DEF is going to be dated. At what point would the system sense that the DEF is not a proper mix and try to shut the coach down?

I've been doing this (topping off) through two coaches and have not had a problem, but just wondering?
taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 06:00 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Good question! I do the same and have followed your procedure for the last three years. Maybe someone wiser and more DEF advised will chime in? No issues so far, knock on wood.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:17 PM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
And following that question, my MH sits in the drive all winter. Get pretty cold too.

Will it damage the engine when I start it for the first time in spring?

I guess now I have to add draining the def when winterizing it.

Does everybody here do that ?
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 05:43 AM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
The silence is deafening
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 05:55 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Maybe because most have found def as a ridiculous, non issue and just fill it when it needs it ???

I actually got the good sam rv plus card for PFJ when I got my first def req'd vehicle just for the def pumps @ $2.80 or so... and now when towing it's just so much easier to use the app to find the next one and pull into the wide truck lanes to fill up on both (even though I have to pay a bit more for fuel)

I fought, er, ah, bought ONE and only one bottle of that and decided I was stupid to fight those bottles
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 12:08 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by donie View Post
I'm not sure if this has been asked before.
With all the newer diesels, they require D E F and have a D E F tank.
I would like to know if I could refill the 2 1/2 gal bottle and keep it in the basement storage without the DEF going bad?
Thanks.
Keep the DEF ool wbile in storage. When you loosen the cap on the container when new, do you get a whif of ammonia. It has already gone bad. Do not keep large quantities on hand.

What you may have is expensive ultra pure water. By the way there is no difference chemically in the various brands. They a re all 32.5% urea mixed with ultra pure water. They must be this formulation tk be able to meet EPAslecs on emissions. DEF that has been in warm or hkt storage may be a problem. Remember the nasal appraisal (smell test)
spike45 is offline   Reply With Quote