Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2014, 12:42 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
D E F Question

I'm not sure if this has been asked before.
With all the newer diesels, they require D E F and have a D E F tank.
I would like to know if I could refill the 2 1/2 gal bottle and keep it in the basement storage without the DEF going bad?
Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2014, 12:43 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Exactly what we do - no, it won't go bad. I always keep a "spare" DEF container in the basement, then use it at the next required refill.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:00 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
What Pagosa says. DEF has a shelf life.

I use truck lanes to fill the coach. I fill the DEF about every third diesel fill so have determined that I do not want to carry an extra container around. There are also some issues with ease of getting the DEF from a container into the tank.

http://www.factsaboutscr.com/def/urea.aspx
Old 12-24-2014, 01:04 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
It is good for about one year.
Urban350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 01:09 PM   #5

Yes, DEF does have a shelf life.

Nothing wrong about stocking up if you get a bulk price on it, however. After you drive awhile, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out how much you use so you can project out 6 months or so ahead of your use.

At least it's easily found at Walmart, the national auto parts chains and at any truck stop.

Just be careful when you fuel your truck and/or add DEF. Any DEF in your fuel tank will setup like concrete in fuel lines, fuel filter, fuel pump and the entire injector system. It's about a $12K cab off repair.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 01:47 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Yes, DEF does have a shelf life.

Nothing wrong about stocking up if you get a bulk price on it, however. After you drive awhile, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out how much you use so you can project out 6 months or so ahead of your use.

At least it's easily found at Walmart, the national auto parts chains and at any truck stop.

Just be careful when you fuel your truck and/or add DEF. Any DEF in your fuel tank will setup like concrete in fuel lines, fuel filter, fuel pump and the entire injector system. It's about a $12K cab off repair.
That's probably why they placed the DEF tank 35' away from the diesel tank on my MH. Others they trust will have the DEF tanks closer - but not me.

Getting a better price is always good. I just don't want to carry extra stuff around and then have to rotate stock to stay current. I paid 2.80 a gallon last November for DEF. Doubt that it will get much cheaper at least not enought to carry around extra. I use one gallon of DEF for 40 gallons of fuel.
Old 12-25-2014, 01:59 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Learned something from the Cummins web site on DEF:

Q. What is the shelf life of DEF?
A. The shelf life of DEF is a function of ambient storage temperature. DEF will degrade over time depending on temperature and exposure to sun light. Expectations for shelf life as defined by ISO Spec 22241-3 are the minimum expectations for shelf life when stored at constant temperatures. If stored between 10 and 90 deg F, shelf life will easily be one year. If the maximum temperature does not exceed approximately 75 deg F for an extended period of time, the shelf life will be two years.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 06:14 PM   #8

As easy as def is to purchase at your local truck stop where I fill up on my trips, it is not worth saving a few pennies if that is really the case to worry about shelf life.
pitcrew18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 06:34 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
I just store a container, 2 1/2gallon and rotate every time I top off the tank. That way it's always fresh. Never had a problem adding DEF to my tank? How does one know how long a container has been sitting in a store? Is the package time dated?
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 05:12 AM   #10

Not certain if DEF has a born on date, I'll check when im at the shop. Im sure the container would contain a batch date that could be searched... Similar to tire born on dates. I will carry 2 1/2 to 5 gallons simply as a precaution. You never know if the pump will function when you Absolutly need it or the store will have it in stock and Murphy's law states it WONT. It's a $$$$$$ mistake to run without it. Rotation every 30/90 days should pose no problems to freshness. After all it's mostly water. Something like 60/70 % water 30/40% pig urine.(urea). Support the Pig Farmer.. Have some bacon at breakfast, a ham sandwich for lunch ,a pork chop at dinner and buy some DEF.

Robert & Jana Stanton... Birthing a 20..something CornerStone 44B
Old 12-26-2014, 06:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
That's probably why they placed the DEF tank 35' away from the diesel tank on my MH. Others they trust will have the DEF tanks closer - but not me.

Getting a better price is always good. I just don't want to carry extra stuff around and then have to rotate stock to stay current. I paid 2.80 a gallon last November for DEF. Doubt that it will get much cheaper at least not enought to carry around extra. I use one gallon of DEF for 40 gallons of fuel.
Gordon; may I ask where you are buying DEF for $2.80 a gallon. I've been buying my DEF at O'Reilleys Auto Parts at $14.95 per 2.5gal box. Walmart is an outrageous $19.and change. Sears is in the $23 range. I suspect you are buying in bulk somehow. If your buying it in the truck lanes at Flying J, how is it dispensed? Thanx,
Old 12-27-2014, 07:58 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
In answer to your inquiry about the dispensing in the truck lanes, I have seen a pump next to the diesel pump marked blue, i believe, trhat had D E F marked on it.
Hope this helps.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:12 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagosajoe View Post
Learned something from the Cummins web site on DEF:

Q. What is the shelf life of DEF?
A. The shelf life of DEF is a function of ambient storage temperature. DEF will degrade over time depending on temperature and exposure to sun light. Expectations for shelf life as defined by ISO Spec 22241-3 are the minimum expectations for shelf life when stored at constant temperatures. If stored between 10 and 90 deg F, shelf life will easily be one year. If the maximum temperature does not exceed approximately 75 deg F for an extended period of time, the shelf life will be two years.
here in Arizona it must go bad as you dump it in the tank Ha Ha
Old 12-27-2014, 11:27 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gebills View Post
Gordon; may I ask where you are buying DEF for $2.80 a gallon. I've been buying my DEF at O'Reilleys Auto Parts at $14.95 per 2.5gal box. Walmart is an outrageous $19.and change. Sears is in the $23 range. I suspect you are buying in bulk somehow. If your buying it in the truck lanes at Flying J, how is it dispensed? Thanx,
Hi Gebills
I bought it at the Flying J in Minot ND and Dodge City KS.

I use the pumps for dispensing. When I put the charge card in it asks me if I want fuel, DEF or both. I generally do one at a time because I have to move the coach to get the hose to reach. The nozzle has a shutoff so select DEF, pull out the nozzle, stick it in the tank and when the shutoff clicks I have enough.

Hope you can use the Flying J option. I hope other brands such as Loves will have the same opportunities for using the truck lanes for fuel and DEF. I have to this point only used Flying J so cannot say for sure.