RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-26-2019, 01:02 PM   #1

Dump valves hard to open & close

I have a 2017 Cardinal 5th wheel, since we bought it the dealer said the sticky dump valves are common and put some lube on the parts you can reach.
Anyone else having this problem and what have you done to fix it? Thinking of going to electric valves, pricey fix if they work, anybody use electric dump valves?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2019, 01:54 PM   #2

The "parts you can reach" likely aren't going to be the problem unless the rod that is attached to the valve is bent. What a sad commentary by the dealer that it's a common problem.

GuyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 02:01 PM   #3

Depends if they're a cable pull or a rod....
Old 09-26-2019, 02:07 PM   #4

I can't seem to find it but there's a mod/hack out there where you just drill a small hole and install a zerk fitting to lubricate the valve.

Retire 2020 GLW
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:22 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I put a long plastic hose over the straw on a can of WD40 SILICONE. Stick the hose up the pipe until it hits the valve. Spray generously and move valve in and out several times. Then I open the valve and slide the hose just inside it. Spray liberally. Pull hose out and work the valve. I usually have to do this several times a season.

At the beginning of the season, I but a temporary valve at the end of the dump pipe. Close this one and open both the grey and black valves. Put slightly concentrated valve lube (Thetford) in each tank. Let valves soak for several days, periodically working the black and grey valves. They loosen up nicely. Use the valve lubricant as directed, probably once a month.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:36 AM   #6

Electric pump valves would be a pricey fix, I think. I have replaced 2 dump valves over the years. One was easy peasy, the other not quite so. Because the replacement valves are relatively inexpensive, If you have any mechanical skills, replace them yourself. There are only 4 - 7/16" nuts and bolts holding the valve in place. The real problem is access to the valve if it is hidden. Also if they are cable valves, then you would need to purchase the valve with the proper cable length. But they are readily available. good luck.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 02:31 PM   #7

If you will spray WD40 into the cable where the pull handle is this may help. It did on mine I had to spray it several times but it migrated far enough down the cable to solve the problem.

Hope it works for you.
00 Buckshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:54 AM   #8

To okcnewbie, get a copy of the Sep/Oct 2019 Escapees magazine. See page 6, "Mark, My Words" you find a write up and also a photo of the grease zerk. I haven't tried it but I'm seriously thinking about adding the zerk.
erniet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:26 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Never had to do it but here is a video with a pretty cool long term fix.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:38 AM   #10

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrownstein View Post
Never had to do it but here is a video with a pretty cool long term fix.
Great little trick! Next time my tanks are empty.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:47 AM   #11

Put about a cup of cheap cooking oil down drains occasionally and this will keep the knife valve lubed.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:38 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublebs View Post
Put about a cup of cheap cooking oil down drains occasionally and this will keep the knife valve lubed.

There is a great battle between keeping the blades lubed and the sensors clean, this way. Oil, Dawn oil, Dawn. Arrrrrghhhhh!!
Old 10-08-2019, 11:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
I put a long plastic hose over the straw on a can of WD40 SILICONE. Stick the hose up the pipe until it hits the valve. Spray generously and move valve in and out several times. Then I open the valve and slide the hose just inside it. Spray liberally. Pull hose out and work the valve. I usually have to do this several times a season.

At the beginning of the season, I but a temporary valve at the end of the dump pipe. Close this one and open both the grey and black valves. Put slightly concentrated valve lube (Thetford) in each tank. Let valves soak for several days, periodically working the black and grey valves. They loosen up nicely. Use the valve lubricant as directed, probably once a month.

The valve lubricant in tank you are using or do you take a tank out of service for those couple of days?
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 11:46 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dump valves hard to open & close

Beginning of season, before I begin to use it. Although the instructions can be followed (on the bottle), after you dump. You mix with water, pour it in, work the valves a few times, leaving most of the mixture in there. Then use tank normally.

I did the soaking because I waited too long, and the valve was really getting difficult to operate. I liked the results of soaking so much, that I will make it a pre-season practice. These valves require regular lubrication, so don't wait until they start sticking badly.

Tags
valve