Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2016, 05:02 PM   #1

Ford Transit Orion 24RB Owner Experience

We bought a new 2017 Transit Orion 24RB in Oct. 2016. I have created a blog to document my experience, impressions, problems, additions, etc. as we go along. Feel free to comment here, or PM, or through the blog if you want to. Hopefully, this will be useful for anyone else considering or owning an Orion.

Coachmen Orion 24RB Owner Experience Log
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2016, 08:10 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I enjoyed reading your blog. I hope you will continue with it.

I have a friend that is interested in a similar unit and I will email him a link.

Thanks for documenting your experience.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 03:48 PM   #3

I'm surprised it is a gas engine. The only writeups I have seen so far for Transit RV's were ones with diesels.

Good for you, I like that model!
Snowman9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:19 PM   #4

I added an update to the blog about some issues and improvements.
Old 04-01-2017, 02:27 AM   #5

Are you still liking your Orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by two2go View Post
I added an update to the blog about some issues and improvements.
Hi!
Just wondering, are you still liking your Orion? Picking mine up today! And was wondering if there is anything in the coach area that I should keep my eye on?
Fjcjmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:29 PM   #6

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjcjmc View Post
Hi!
Just wondering, are you still liking your Orion? Picking mine up today! And was wondering if there is anything in the coach area that I should keep my eye on?
Best wishes on yours. Yes, still satisfied, although we have not camped in it since arriving at our AZ winter home last Oct. I have had a few minor warranty items fixed and made some improvements. It will get quite a bit of use this summer and it is ready to go.

Check back on my blog (see first post above). I've just added some new information there about issues and improvements, and answered a few questions. I would like to hear of your and others' experience and exchange ideas.

Bob
Old 04-17-2017, 02:25 AM   #7

First Trip

Hello Bob,
Just got back from our first trip with our Orion. We have the 20cb model.
I have to say I was very impressed. The Transit performance was very nice. We went to the mountains in Northeastern Alabama, very close to Chattanooga Tennessee. It handled the hills and steep grades effortlessly. We did a lot of sightseeing also. With a lot of up and down the mountain on different roads with scenic views. Easy enough to find parking with this unit.
I was also impressed with the coach area. All the features worked as they were supposed to once I figured them out. The one area I was not to impressed was the cheap tv's and DVD players. The tray on the inside player needs to be pulled out manually when prompted to open due to being warped. The outside player cannot be programmed to not show closed captioning. I tried both dvd set up and the television.
Other than the televisions problems everything else has worked flawlessly. I have read that so many people have had lots of problems with their motorhomes after their initial trip that I was prepared to accept them. But really what we had was so minor. I was going to upgrade both systems anyway.
What is your mileage per gallon. I averaged 12.48 for the trip. But actually got about 14 while up and down the mountain roads. I know my worst mileage was due to the 50 miles of interstate driving we had. I tried to keep it under 65 mph but the interstate was very crowded with everyone wanting to go 80. I just stayed behind a semi but he was going 70 to 75. Did your mileage get a little better after break in period?

Frank
Old 04-23-2017, 04:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjcjmc View Post
What is your mileage per gallon. I averaged 12.48 for the trip. But actually got about 14 while up and down the mountain roads. I know my worst mileage was due to the 50 miles of interstate driving we had. I tried to keep it under 65 mph but the interstate was very crowded with everyone wanting to go 80. I just stayed behind a semi but he was going 70 to 75. Did your mileage get a little better after break in period?

Frank
I got 12.8 the last measured tank full coming to Yuma last October. That is loaded and towing a Smart car. Yes, I think the mileage is improving. I read on the Transit forum that the 3.7 has a fairly high compression ratio with variable cam timing and knock sensing, and responds favorably to premium fuel. It seems logical that if the engine can adjust itself to the octane rating, it ought to be more efficient or have more power. I am going to try using premium on the trip back to CO next week and see it helps mileage or seat-of-the-pants performance feel. Most sources say that premium is a waste in an engine designed for regular gas, but that was said before today's technology. We'll see. Premium is about the same cost as diesel, but I'll have to decide if the added cost vs. regular gives worthwhile benefit.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by two2go View Post
I got 12.8 the last measured tank full coming to Yuma last October. That is loaded and towing a Smart car. Yes, I think the mileage is improving. I read on the Transit forum that the 3.7 has a fairly high compression ratio with variable cam timing and knock sensing, and responds favorably to premium fuel. It seems logical that if the engine can adjust itself to the octane rating, it ought to be more efficient or have more powers r. I am going to try using premium on the trip back to CO next week and see it helps mileage or seat-of-the-pants performance feel. Most sources say that premium is a waste in an engine designed for regular gas, but that was said before today's technology. We'll see. Premium is about the same cost as diesel, but I'll have to decide if the added cost vs. regular gives worthwhile benefit.
Hi Bob!
Just wondering how things are going for you and your Orion? I checked your blog this morning and did not see anything new.

We are planning a long 21 day trip at the end of this month. We will be traveling from 75 miles southwest of Atlanta Ga. to Mount Rushmore and Black Hills then on to Yellowstone. At Yellowstone we will spend 4 days near the east entrance. Then 4 days on the west in West Yellowstone.

Some things we did to the Orion to prepare is add a tire pressure monitor system. Also had the windshield and door windows tinted with a ceramic tint that is legal in all 50 states. And had an 8 inch dark strip visor added that extends down to the bottom of the camera monitor. The difference in heat and glare is amazing. The ceramic is very light but is supposed to block more uv than the old style tint. Plus you hardly know it's there. Even at night. We also bought Verizon and AT&T hot spots for wifi.

We are hoping for a fun and trouble free trip. I will update you upon our return.

I hope everything is well with you!
Old 09-03-2017, 11:00 AM   #10

Added blog update about extended travel and camping experiences. Link in first post.
Old 10-09-2017, 05:01 PM   #11

More blog work documenting experience and changes (link in first post). Just completed 1900 mile trip and camping in Texas for a week. Consistent mpg towing Smart and with a/c is 12.5. Without a/c, I often see over 14 indicated. Wonder what it would do without car or running a/c? I doubt I will ever be able to find out.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:06 PM   #12

Commenting to keep thread fresh. Uneventful trip CO to AZ in 12/17. No significant updates to Orion. Waiting on Kidde recall fire extinguisher replacement.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:02 PM   #13

Thanks for posting the blog! We are going to be test driving a T21TB and/or T21RS next week. I saw the T21RS floor plan and loved it. Was also very surprised about the lack of Maxx or Fantastic fans but the inclusion of the outdoor TV. We will never use the TV and will have to pay extra to put in the good quality fans with fan and vent covers.

My initial reaction on touring the unit was lower quality than most but better and more functional floor plan than most. How is the interior holding up over time?

I also was concerned about the chemical smell. Did you find it dissipated in short order?

Were really looking forward to driving the Transit.

Thanks!
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:07 PM   #14

Thanks for posting, keep this going, I like this gas power.. just sold my 2015 Winnebago View,, going gas...
koonta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford