Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:57 PM   #71

Poor Quality continues

Well I know I wished I had read this before I brought my 2018 Georgetown 31L5. Back again to CIs in Kingston on Tuesday for both ACs leaking heavily inside plus I felt my troublesome slide still wasn't 100% deploying plus a replacement cushion they replaced because the original was too big was now too small. Of course unless u keep bugging them and the Service Mgr. don't expect quick service. Picked it up Friday still didn't order another cushion, latest story is they are all custom built... though I doubt that he said he provided FR the info and now we wait until I call them bc I know they won't call me. Of course they claim nothing was wrong and ran the ACs all day long. But the biggest complaint have was brought it home Friday afternoon, heavy rain all nite went out to MH to find a steady leak inside starting at the ceiling... definitely not the window and checked the caulking on the roof above the window and found it distorted, damaged or just not right. Called CIs and was fuming told them some careless worker climbed up the corner instead of using the back of the MH... Everyone knows not to climb up the corners especially the front. They wanted me to wait even the Service Mgr.. Told them I heading up someone better fix it since I'm not coming home until they do. Another hr. plus trip back up there, They wouldn't acknowledge someone messed up but the guy who fixed it more and less confirmed what I thought. Whose to blame, starts with FR but CIs can at least do their job right... Next time I buy used, no doubt... Sadly this is one company that has no pride in quality and it passes down to the dealers.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2017, 08:57 PM   #72

GTS Class C quality control

We've been looking closely at the GTS 2431S model. Size and floorpan work very well for us. We haven't been able to actually see and drive one as of yet because there are none in So Cal. After reading these posts we are pretty gun shy to go with a FR product, although I know Dynamax (the top of the line) is also owned by FR and has good reports on QC. We're wondering if the GTS Class C models are built to a higher standard, or if anyone has experience with this model. I have read of some who had issues with the slide, flooring and Big Foot levelers hanging too low. My guess is that the Sunseekers are all built at the same factory, but just don't know the facts. Any feedback?

Old 08-23-2017, 02:17 PM   #73

We have a 2013 micro lite 21fbrs. Purchased new and have had zero problems. Chalked up over 10,000 miles so far.. Hope you get yours in order, we love ours.. 2 retired people..
Old 08-26-2017, 01:11 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Can't understand how a person will spend all the money a M/H costs, and will not take the time to either read the manuals that come with it, or remove a removable panel to see what's behind it......then when something goes wrong, need to vent what a pos the unit is......most manuals are online, and there are forums for all models of FR Products.......and don't be afraid to ask questions.....
Bob- you have to remember that most people, unlike most people that go to these kind of forums, can barely turn a screwdriver. Let alone read a manual. The just refuse to do it or don't have a clue how to make the simplest repairs. Would hate to be like that, but some people are. My uncle can't even make toast for God's sake.

Pappystoy- sorry to hear you got screwed so bad. I just can't imagine having to deal with all that. Sounds like you really did get a lemon. On the other end of the spectrum, we just couldn't be happier with ours. No issues whatsoever, if you don't count the fact that it took a service person over the phone to tell me how to turn the kitchen faucet on...
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:24 AM   #75

Forest River Owners Club
I am on my 2nd Forest River RV. First was a 2106 Flagstaff HW27S/C pup. Had to have the grey water line repaired and plumber's tape the water filter cap but all in all it was trouble free and the grey water line was done under warranty.

Now I have a 2018 Prime Time Tracer 215AIR TT(a Forest River subsidiary) and granted I have only taken it out once everything has been working fine so far. I went Prime Time because they still have each of their units independently tested before shipping out.

The problem with RV's is it comes down to who was working on your RV at the plant. I owned a Fleetwood PUP that was awesome and when I bought a Fleetwood MH I couldn't get rid of it fast enough.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:32 PM   #76

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanion2 View Post
...The problem with RV's is it comes down to who was working on your RV at the plant...
I so agree - the installer who put in my A/C did an awful job, but when I removed a clearance light in the installation of an observation camera, the openings, wiring, and insulation were all perfect.

Luck of the draw I guess.
owgpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:54 PM   #77
JBP

Winnebago Owners Club
I feel that my 2016 XL 369DS is just what I expected. Several problems. All fixed by dealer in reasonable time. Never over a week waiting.
All calls and requests to FR were answered and fulfilled in good order. One of the best gas coaches that I have perched new.
JBP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 09:41 AM   #78

Greetings,
The wife and I really love the FR Class C 2017 mod. 3051s but after reading this thread and learning about the Foresters front cap issues it makes me wonder how the heck they can be allowed to sell anything.

I'm pretty good at fixing things but who wants to take a new Class C out and when you get to your destination you then have to TRY to fix the 10 things you just discovered won't work....lather, rinse, repeat.

Why did they have to make the 3051 so purrty
Old 10-06-2017, 01:26 PM   #79

You guys need to check out the Thor treads....talk about what pos they are.....no matter what brand one buys, not everyone will be happy after a while...everyone has their own opinion on quality
Old 10-06-2017, 05:25 PM   #80

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the 2800 gts. Someone asked about the gts models. I have had a few minor issues that were all fixed under warranty. I feel the gts model is at least average quality or better. All rv's have problems. One thing to check is the front cap seams both vertical and horizontal seams. If they painted over the seams make them fix it before delivery. The paint will crack and while it is only cosmetic, it looks bad. The seams are fine and well built. There should be no paint on the seam. I had silicone caulk color coded to the four different paint colors and fixec the cracked paint problem. I am very well satisfied with my gts. I do wish the manufacturers would have more pride in their work and qc practices.
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:19 AM   #81

Here is my noobe take. We've been looking at a FR Cedar Creek Champagne. It has really caught my eye for all - build quality, structure, brand name appliances, cabinetry, and cargo carry capacity. Also heavier axles and tires than other two brands we are looking at.
When I started doing dealer reviews, it has come to my attention that none have good reviews. 90% are 1/5. The service horror stories simply dominate everything I read. This will be our 1st rv and I'm doing a lot of research and will be willing to drive 1000+ miles to the right dealer. Where are they?
Old 10-13-2017, 05:12 AM   #82

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
Here is my noobe take. We've been looking at a FR Cedar Creek Champagne. It has really caught my eye for all - build quality, structure, brand name appliances, cabinetry, and cargo carry capacity. Also heavier axles and tires than other two brands we are looking at.
When I started doing dealer reviews, it has come to my attention that none have good reviews. 90% are 1/5. The service horror stories simply dominate everything I read. This will be our 1st rv and I'm doing a lot of research and will be willing to drive 1000+ miles to the right dealer. Where are they?
What you might find difficult to research is how much of the service work the dealer is performing due to manufacturer problems. It is obvious to anyone who does their own work that fixing problems before they are assembled is much easier that afterwards. And that's what many dealers are having to do. We now have the Cedar Creek Hathaway. I recommend you include in your negotiations with the dealer that they provide 3-5 days of free camping at their facility or one nearby and they agree to allow you to identify & repair problems you discover as you exercise all the systems on your new rv. We were able to do so and found numerous problems they fixed before we took ours home. Also, you might want to include Redwood in your research. They make a good unit too. Again, even with a different manufacturer, you are at the mercy of their quality or lack there of.

Dave
Old 10-13-2017, 08:31 AM   #83

Thanks Denochs. The FR Champagne we are looking at may come from a dealer far away. Not sure yet. On the other hand, both the Montana and Solitude come from a dealer very close. They have a huge space to hook up and stay - many spaces. They will even allow that at other times in the future. They encourage a new buyer to do just what you mentioned - hook up as long as needed to shake-down the unit. I will most likely give up on the FR because of this dealers location and vast service department size. Still researching the new purchase.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:58 PM   #84

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
Thanks Denochs. The FR Champagne we are looking at may come from a dealer far away. Not sure yet. On the other hand, both the Montana and Solitude come from a dealer very close. They have a huge space to hook up and stay - many spaces. They will even allow that at other times in the future. They encourage a new buyer to do just what you mentioned - hook up as long as needed to shake-down the unit. I will most likely give up on the FR because of this dealers location and vast service department size. Still researching the new purchase.
I would also research the dealership service department itself. I had to give up on Lance TT's because the only dealership in NM that sells them had a terrible service department and not much better sales department. I went to the highest rated service department dealership and ended up buying my Prime Time Tracer(also a FR subsidiary) and they have provided me with excellent support and service so far. This will greatly impact how soon you will get your RV back on the road if a warranty issue comes up.

Tags
quality