Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2017, 10:02 PM   #43

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Well I just took delivery of a 2018 Georgetown Series 5 31L5..yup 2018 and the dealer thought it was a 2017 until we went to register it and found certificate or origin from FR stated it was an 18... back to dealer, finance, insurance to change all the paperwork.. good news for us. Dealer not happy they messed up. Well we drove it home and it proceeded to rain for the next month so it sat until finally this weekend took it out for State inspection and an hr. trip to the beach for the day then home. Ran nice on the road, fairly stable very little sway. Picked it up with a leaky faucet which they ordered, went through it inside and out there then again when I got home. Quality surprisingly not what I expect when u spend the money that we do for these. In all about dozen + issues, several key ones found the cushion for the table that converts to a bed was 6-8" too long, Hood on one side stuck out about 3/4" found that side wasn't the same measurements as the opposite side. Other issues not real show stoppers but none the less easy stuff that should've been fixed. Ironically had the final inspection from the mfg. facility most of the things we found they fixed a lot of them but not all, poor quality control. Biggest problem was when we went to bring it out this past week the large bump out wouldn't retract on one side.. try what they told me at the dealers they said they couldn't send out their mobile unit too busy so called FR who couldn't send anyone so the dealer called Coachman.. This was after two days getting all over the dealer to respond and do something. The salesman did more than the service dept. mgr. anyway the coachman tech came and didn't know anything and admitted it says he reads the manual. In fact by the time he left the stabilizers wouldn't retract either now... good news I'm fairly handed and ended hunting down two trip breakers in the Hydraulic/coach battery compartment. That fixed the slide out and found on u tube affix to reset the Leveling system. I'm not impressed so far but the summer travels will prove if this was a mistake buying a FR or perhaps just a bump in the road. Don't look under the dash or even the MH itself I found unpainted rusting angle iron etc. under both, hap hazard wood and screws used with no rhyme or reason on how they used them. BTW wrote Forest River Director of Mfg. nothing back and don't expect it either don't have to admit the obvious. I hear others with more expensive rigs than mine with similar issues. Reminds me of the car industry before Japan came into the picture in the 70s/80s. Anyway sorry for the long reply wanted to tell it like it is..
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2017, 12:51 PM   #44

American Coach Owners Club
Well i feel pretty lucky overall after reading the posts here. I purchased a 2016 Flagstaff Classic Super Lite 832IKBS 18 months ago. So far we love the TT. There has only been one problem with the Trailer, and that was a broken shower connection. Forest River sent me a new complete unit, all I needed was the hose from the valve to the head.

We spent around 80 days camping last year and pulled about 1500 miles overall and I have NOTHING to complain about.

The only thing I would do different is purchase the second air conditioner which would push me up to 50AMP. On really HOT days (90 +) the single air unit does sometimes struggle to keep up. But it is not a show stopper, nor is it so difficult that we wont use the TT.

Thanks,
SubVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 06:53 PM   #45

Ford Super Duty Owner
I suspect FR quality is not any worse than the others

However I found my exterior coaxial input does not work this weekend. Probably forgot to hook up the cable or put in on the wrong one. I noticed a few odd screws missed hitting the anchor point. Mostly minor stuff so far.
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:42 AM   #46

Can't understand how a person will spend all the money a M/H costs, and will not take the time to either read the manuals that come with it, or remove a removable panel to see what's behind it......then when something goes wrong, need to vent what a pos the unit is......most manuals are online, and there are forums for all models of FR Products.......and don't be afraid to ask questions.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:49 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles L View Post
However I found my exterior coaxial input does not work this weekend. Probably forgot to hook up the cable or put in on the wrong one. I noticed a few odd screws missed hitting the anchor point. Mostly minor stuff so far.
Have found loose connections and bad crimp connectors on coax cables.......easy to troubleshoot cables.....need a termination cap screwed on to outside connection of line you want to check......then take volt/ ohm meter inside to antenna amp, remove amp from wall, disconnect cable and check for continuity...or, you can use a coax cable screwed on to outside port and take loose end inside where now you're right at the ant amp and do a continuity test..... center wire to center wire, and outside to outside ( this way you can also check the amp connection) without removing amp
Old 06-19-2017, 11:37 PM   #48

Fr3 Warranty

Just picked up our 2017 Forest River FR3 from the dealership in Denver. Took off for the trip over the mountains and immediately started having power loss from the engine . Punched the gas and it kicked in and ran fine. Other side of mountain it really had problems with loss of power under acceleration. Two lights came on the dash. I pulled over and couldn't locate the ford owners manual. Called coach net warranty. Very helpful. Was told the lights had to do with the hydro boost brakes. I had restarted the rig and the lights stayed off. Was told if they came back on it was an automatic tow to a dealer. The loss of power has been noted on several ford chassis. Requires a PCM reflash. I was a bit ticked. Anyone else have these problems?
01gulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:37 AM   #49

In all fairness the chassis problem has little to do with FR build quality. Perhaps the delivery driver experienced the brake issue and told the dealership; perhaps not. You might want to post this in the chassis forum.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:41 AM   #50

I have a 2010 Georgetown 330TS

Your original posting looks like it's drifting from your original question.

Please private message me if you're still looking at the 330TS.

Ken
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:35 PM   #51

I'm on my 2nd FR tt and love it. First one was also a V-lite and no isues and the one I have now had 3 minor issues that where fixed at the Big rally two years ago and never had anything else go wrong. Best bult tt Ive owned. Later RJD
acinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:49 AM   #52

Fr3 chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie View Post
In all fairness the chassis problem has little to do with FR build quality. Perhaps the delivery driver experienced the brake issue and told the dealership; perhaps not. You might want to post this in the chassis forum.
I don't have any trust in our Ford dealer here in Grand Junction. I am an ASE master tech, not bragging, and I chose to fix this myself. Replaced the chassis battery and reflashed the PCM with latest update. Seems to have fixed the problem. Sent bill to the lot I purchased from.
01gulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:52 AM   #53

We bought a FR 2391TS mid-May. It still isn't on the road. My opinion: design great, workmanship spotty. The worst problems? (1)There is a sensor port half-way up the water tank which was left open. Means the tank can't be filled more than half-way and sloshes water as you drive -- show-stopper. (2) Dinette seat is not anchored to the floor. The bolts are there but pilot holes to attach the seat were never drilled. You can see that some poor schmuck tried to turn the screws down and gave up. There are half-dozen other issues less serious.

We had to wait almost a month to get an appointment at the dealer (June 29). I'll let you know how it went.
Granny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:36 AM   #54

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
update on my FR Quality issues

Well took almost a week to get someone to come to my house to get my main slide back in, I'm just glad I wasn't in a Campground waiting, this is unacceptable. Drove it back dealer yesterday, met with Service Manager at CI went over all the issues but it concerns me that he said he had a list himself that was never completed by the manufacturer that I was never made aware of when I brought it and he stated most of my issues I found since I brought it new several months ago wasn't on their list. I also provided him the list I found in the my dealer paperwork which was even another different list. I was just wondering when the dealer was going to inform me he had a list. Anyway he seemed very sincere on making sure that everything was fixed before I need it back to go camping on the 7th of July. Me, it's all about proof, show me by getting it done without excuses so time will tell.
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 01:14 PM   #55

No manual crank?
Old 06-28-2017, 03:42 AM   #56

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hopefully, I'm not repeating something another post has said. And it may be too late for some who have bought a new unit.

The problem in the RV industry is with manufacturing quality & dealer support. Yes, the materials are inferior, as they are in our sticks & bricks. But for a long time now they are turning out units (both motor homes & tt). Without getting too lengthy in this response I would recommend anyone that can buy a used unit for several reasons. Mostly, a coach or tt that is two or more years old have gone thru what those of us that have bought a new one. We've worked out most of the major and minor bugs within that period. Plus, the major hit on depreciation has passed by that time.

The manufacturer is simply trying to meet numbers of units out the door and leave the corrections to the dealer. In turn, the dealers are ill equipped to handle all the problems they are handed. And their customer service is at an all time low. So, you really need to be prepared to fix most of the issues yourself unless you live really close to your dealer. Even at that, you may find yourself becoming way to familiar with those that work at the dealership.

All that being said, I would not buy anything again from Giant Recreation World in FL again and do not recommend them to anyone, including my cat.

Dave

Tags
quality