Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2015, 07:58 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
FR Cardinal Model 36-2BH LE

Hello everyone,
I am interested in hearing from any others out there that own the Cardinal Model 36-2BH LE 5th Wheel trailer and am most interested in how much you tow (mileage/year) and the type/size of tires that you have. We purchased our unit used and it came with ST235/85R16 Mastercraft Courser Radials which I believe are made by Cooper Tire. We keep this trailer on a permanent site and use it once per year for a trip north of approximately 700 miles (round-trip). These are an "E" rated tire on 8-lug rims and are rated for 3,750 lbs each and the trailer has dual 7,000 lbs axles. The tire inflation is 110 psi max cold. We have only towed this vehicle once, other than picking it up from the dealer located in Iowa to Wisconsin, and that trip was a disaster. We blew one tire on the way up (RR) and another one on the way back (LF). All tires were inflated to the maximum cold psi prior to the trip and checked during the trip. There is no visible cracking and tread depth looks good. My concern is that this trailer is 9-years old and I know I need to replace these tires. I am leaning towards the Goodyear G614 tires, while they are expensive, they seem to be the best tire for this model. In looking it over, I don't think I have enough clearance between wheels to go to 17.5" rims, nor do I want to spend the extra money for a unit that only makes a once per year trip.
My question is for others out there that may have the same or similar unit(s), what are the recommendations for tires, sizes and brands. I know I am stepping into a minefield of opinions, but I am counting on the RV community to come thru as they always do with the right overall consensus. This trailer has a dry weight of around 12,000 lbs with a Max GVWR of 16,050 lbs, so it is quite heavy. Thanks in advance for your help!
pthomann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2015, 03:47 PM   #2

I do not have your model but I do have a Cedar Creek 34RL that has the same size tires and axles.

Most STtires are made in China and are junk! Also they should be replaced every 5 years from date of manufacture not service date regardless of appearance. You can google to find your date code for the tires.

I would replace those tires before your next trip with the Goodyear tires as they are the best ST tire on the market today. Check out tire warranties and what others have said about cheap China bomb tires.
Jim
Old 06-08-2015, 08:20 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
I do not have your model but I do have a Cedar Creek 34RL that has the same size tires and axles.

Most STtires are made in China and are junk! Also they should be replaced every 5 years from date of manufacture not service date regardless of appearance. You can google to find your date code for the tires.

I would replace those tires before your next trip with the Goodyear tires as they are the best ST tire on the market today. Check out tire warranties and what others have said about cheap China bomb tires.
Jim
Which Goodyear tire are you recommending Jim? The ones I am looking at are an LT tire.
pthomann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthomann View Post
Which Goodyear tire are you recommending Jim? The ones I am looking at are an LT tire.
If they are an all position tire then the tires will be acceptable. An all position tire means that they can be used on a trailer axle when towing. Such as the Michelins XPS Ribs which are an LT tire but is labeled as an all position tire. I ran them on my last trailer but they are only a 16" wheel size.

Now I do know of some high end 5er's that use Goodyear LT tire as standard and I think they are an all position tire. The older Cedar Creek models where shipped with an LT Goodyear tire on them. The newer models such as mine has an ST tire on them (cost reduction).

Jim
Old 06-08-2015, 02:37 PM   #5

Goodyear has some of their tires made in china. Always check the side wall for country of origin. China likes to say PRC. Peoples Republic of China. Garbage in Garbage out. Name me one thing made in china you would bet your life on. Tires?
Justwinginit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 02:56 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Something is amiss. Having owned two Cardinals I known they are overweight and under axled. Yours appears to be under axled. You stated 7k axles with a gvwr of 16k. The weight police will be here to remind me of hitch weight. I could never get it under the gvwr unless it was empty of water, staples and golf clubs. I eventually upgrade the axles to 8k and the tires to Goodyears.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 09:12 AM   #7

My only comment is too weight the trailer to see what you really have.
I too have a heavy trailer that has a GVRW of 16,200 LBS with two 7K axles under the trailer and G rated tires.

My trailer when loaded with no fluids in the tanks (I travel empty with every trailer I have ever owned). Has an axle weight of 10,000 lbs. and the combined truck and trailer weight is 21,000 lbs. just scaled this combination on our first outing with the trailer. So to me the trailer’s 7K axles with G rated tires are more than adequate for the required load of the trailer.