Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandCplusRV View Post
To you existing owners - what do you think of the Radius Alpha SuperFlex Roof? I don't know much about it and, as an RV rookie, this is the first unit I've considered that had such a roof. Do you guys find it seems durable? Easy to walk on? Maintenance? Etc.?
I am a rookie as well, however, I have been up on it a few times, double checking the seals, installing a vent cover, etc. Easy to walk on, no flex. Maintenance wise, it is a rubber roof, i.e. no petroleum products and don't use soaps with aggressive cleaners. I think the radius helps avoid pooling. It is awesome inside, really opens up the top in my opinion.
socalrcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2013, 05:37 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
Cowboy Bob, what did the salesman say? I like the FR3 floor plan but, like the ACE the first two model years had many, many issues.
Not sure what issues the FR3 had beyond the norm for an RV? I need to re-read the first posts I guess.
One thing that came up a couple times now about the ACE is that with water, propane and a full fuel tank the rig is close to GVWR max but I have yet to hear a number on the ACE or on the FR3 from an owner.[/QUOTE]

The FR3 GCWR is 23,000LB, the ACE GCWR is 23,000LB the 30ft ACE GVWR is 18,000 as is the FR3.
usinvestment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:42 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by usinvestment View Post
It would be nice to hear more feedback from FR3 owners. The above comments sound more like sales pitches versus how the coach really performs. On page three of the thread there were some good comments from current FR3 owners. The ACE has worked many of their bugs out, sounds like the FR3 may need more fine tuning. I'm looking to buy, but I'd guess some of the posters are salesmen. Everything looks good on the showroom floor, but 500 miles out on the road in the rain how does it perform?

Cowboy Bob, what did the salesman say? I like the FR3 floor plan but, like the ACE the first two model years had many, many issues.
Hmmm, I didn't get the sense any of the posts above are from salesmen. I could be wrong. In any case, the issues that FR3 has had in the early going seem to be these:

Shower curtain / shower leaking: tendency for water to leak around shower base depending on position of shower curtain; Can be remedied with application of splash guards.

Window coverings: the first units had roller shades, which left a little gap for light / lack of privacy; later units have come out with traditional pleated shades.

One case of windshield leaking that was fixed under warranty.

One case of fasteners under drop down bunk coming loose - likely a minor issue

One case of fresh water and city water fill lines being crossed or labeled incorrectly; fixed under warranty

One case of a closet rod coming loose.

On the plus side, folks seem to be liking the ride and handling, flexibility of the floorplan, entertainment center, flooring, and style of the coach.

-Mike
1943D18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:26 PM   #60

Well put Mike!

Oh by the way... No ladder for the bunk is kinda annoying , lol
Online_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:19 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddytucky View Post
300 lbs capacity on the overhead bunk in the FR3

the power bunk up front is electric or push button. The FR3 30DS last week at the RV show the power bunk wasn't working. The salesman put a 10amp fuse in it and then it started working again. The fuse was in the storage bay where the batteries are located. I liked this because in the event of a failure a 10amp fuse is very easy to replace, versus replacing motors. The FR3 bunk needs to be manually released from the magnets on the ceiling before operating into the bed position and the bunk needs to be pushed about 3" up to the magnets when putting it back up to the ceiling.

The hydraulic Jacks are push button power down/ power up, make sure they are calibrated correctly...

Few other items on the FR3, no steps to get into the cab area, ACE had a 6" step into cab and another one to get into the bedroom on the 29 ACE model. the sofa on FR3 has footrest & hide a bed vs the ace with a jackknife. 60x80 queen vs 60x74 on the ACE

FR3 power front shades in cockpit vs the wrap around curtain on ACE

Have someone show you the blue tooth on the CD/DVD player...

Pass through storage on FR3, not on ACE
2014 ACE Class A Motorhomes | Photos (Best of Class A RV & C RV)

Actually the ACE 29.2 has more exterior storage (122 cu ft) with a pass through storage, the FR3 112 cu ft exterior storage

I'm looking at both models for a purchase. When comparing the ACE to the FR3, the ACE upholstery is much nicer. The FR3 and ACE 30ft have the same wheelbase with same GVWR and GCWR, the floor plans, depending which ACE model seems to be a better floor plan in the ACE. Thor adds many little built in extras the FR3 doesn't have. They both are nice coaches. Neither manufacturer is top of the line, but at or near the bottom. You can flip a coin and be happy with either. It's easy to get the stats on both coaches, just look.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:04 AM   #62

Quote:
Not sure what issues the FR3 had beyond the norm for an RV? I need to re-read the first posts I guess.
One thing that came up a couple times now about the ACE is that with water, propane and a full fuel tank the rig is close to GVWR max but I have yet to hear a number on the ACE or on the FR3 from an owner.

The FR3 GCWR is 23,000LB, the ACE GCWR is 23,000LB the 30ft ACE GVWR is 18,000 as is the FR3.[/QUOTE]

What I was referring to USInvestment is the actual curb weight vs rated capacity and I think SoCalRacer answered the question with results from a scale to follow shortly.
Don't get me wrong, both the ACE and FR3 appear to be great rigs but unless you are trying to sleep kids, Keebler Elf's or horse jockeys the ACE does not have big enough beds.
I can assure you I'm no RV salesman by the way but an overly analytical consumer.
Cowboy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:06 AM   #63

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1943D18 View Post
Hmmm, I didn't get the sense any of the posts above are from salesmen. I could be wrong. In any case, the issues that FR3 has had in the early going seem to be these:

Shower curtain / shower leaking: tendency for water to leak around shower base depending on position of shower curtain; Can be remedied with application of splash guards.

Window coverings: the first units had roller shades, which left a little gap for light / lack of privacy; later units have come out with traditional pleated shades.

One case of windshield leaking that was fixed under warranty.

One case of fasteners under drop down bunk coming loose - likely a minor issue

One case of fresh water and city water fill lines being crossed or labeled incorrectly; fixed under warranty

One case of a closet rod coming loose.

On the plus side, folks seem to be liking the ride and handling, flexibility of the floorplan, entertainment center, flooring, and style of the coach.

-Mike

That sums it up pretty well.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:15 AM   #64

Questions

Quote:
It would be nice to hear more feedback from FR3 owners. The above comments sound more like sales pitches versus how the coach really performs. On page three of the thread there were some good comments from current FR3 owners. The ACE has worked many of their bugs out, sounds like the FR3 may need more fine tuning. I'm looking to buy, but I'd guess some of the posters are salesmen. Everything looks good on the showroom floor, but 500 miles out on the road in the rain how does it perform?

Forgot to respond to this, sorry.......

A couple things were covered in the conversation.........

The trucker/pet window was dropped because it was not functional with a passenger in the right seat. Apparently the passengers legs blocked the view out the window more so than the ACE. There was also the additional cost of course.

The drivers seat not rotating is being looked at. He honestly thought that it did spin 180 and that you could move the seat enough to rotate it. I'll follow up on this with him, it's the only flaw that bothered me so far.

CB
Old 06-26-2013, 08:28 AM   #65

Quote:
The FR3 GCWR is 23,000LB, the ACE GCWR is 23,000LB the 30ft ACE GVWR is 18,000 as is the FR3.
What I was referring to USInvestment is the actual curb weight vs rated capacity and I think SoCalRacer answered the question with results from a scale to follow shortly.
Don't get me wrong, both the ACE and FR3 appear to be great rigs but unless you are trying to sleep kids, Keebler Elf's or horse jockeys the ACE does not have big enough beds.
I can assure you I'm no RV salesman by the way but an overly analytical consumer.[/QUOTE]
Thanks CB, the 5" in master bed length is a big deal if you're taller, as I am. Not sure what the measurements of the front drop down beds are, it would be nice to know the weight ratings and dimensions.

Thanks for all the input. All of this information helps with the buying decision.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:11 AM   #66

Quote:
2014 ACE Class A Motorhomes | Photos (Best of Class A RV & C RV)

Actually the ACE 29.2 has more exterior storage (122 cu ft) with a pass through storage, the FR3 112 cu ft exterior storage

I'm looking at both models for a purchase. When comparing the ACE to the FR3, the ACE upholstery is much nicer. The FR3 and ACE 30ft have the same wheelbase with same GVWR and GCWR, the floor plans, depending which ACE model seems to be a better floor plan in the ACE. Thor adds many little built in extras the FR3 doesn't have. They both are nice coaches. Neither manufacturer is top of the line, but at or near the bottom. You can flip a coin and be happy with either. It's easy to get the stats on both coaches, just look.
Well, the beauty of this whole process is each person can find a coach best suited to them, and be happy with it. However for us, looking at the FR3 and ACE side by side, the FR3 wins, no contest. I toured both factories, talked to both product managers, and have compared feature-to-feature and after having done that, it's FR3. I've posted the comparison in a previous post to I won't rehash here. Having said that, I wouldn't *not* buy an ACE if the price was right, but money for money, it would be FR3 for us.

Happy hunting.

-Mike
Old 06-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1943D18 View Post
Well, the beauty of this whole process is each person can find a coach best suited to them, and be happy with it. However for us, looking at the FR3 and ACE side by side, the FR3 wins, no contest. I toured both factories, talked to both product managers, and have compared feature-to-feature and after having done that, it's FR3. I've posted the comparison in a previous post to I won't rehash here. Having said that, I wouldn't *not* buy an ACE if the price was right, but money for money, it would be FR3 for us.

Happy hunting.

-Mike

Thank you Mike, I did read your previous post on the comparison. I haven't seen them side by side, or been to the factories. Thanks for your input, it's very valuable.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:22 PM   #68

Shorter FR3

I see details are trickling out on the next FR3, 25 foot-ish with a King Bed, over on the Forest River forums.
I was not sure that was public info yet, but apparently there has been a sighting.

CB
Old 06-27-2013, 09:19 AM   #69

Quote:
I see details are trickling out on the next FR3, 25 foot-ish with a King Bed, over on the Forest River forums.
I was not sure that was public info yet, but apparently there has been a sighting.

CB
Indeed. It's model 25DS and I'm told it will be available in some locations in the next 30 days.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:53 PM   #70

Ok, I have to weigh my gear to give everyone hard numbers, however I made it to a scale today, unfortunately they would not weigh front and back, just total, so I will have to find a different facility to get my axle weights. That being said,

Total weight 17,080. This included full tank of gas, full propane tank, full fresh water tank, all of my family(463 lbs), Black tank showing 1/3 Grey showing empty- but has a few gallons in it, Gear ( estimated weight, will weigh to verify) this is what I do know- 24lb bike rack, 87 lbs of tables, 35 lbs of chairs, BBQ at 23 lbs, charcoal 10lbs (half bag) and BBQ supplies 10lbs, about 50 lbs of tools, estimated 100 to 200 lbs of other stuff to be measured including: extra 30 amp power cord, 30 amp surge protector, extension cords, rope light for awning, fresh water hose, water filter, water pressure reg, 15 foot rhino sewer hose, 10 foot sewer extension, flush king, sewer hose 25 foot stand off, As seen on TV expandable 50ft hose for flushing sewer, 2 sets of 8 piece leveling blocks, 4 chocks, 4 pads for jacks, triangle reflector kit, 18v drill set- two drills and 2 batteries, empty cooler, some clothes, dry food, couple of rc cars and misc stuff. Kitchen utensils stocked, towels and bathroom supplies stocked, pantry stocked.

Hate to post with vague numbers on my gear, but thought everyone would like to have a good ball park. I'm pretty happy with almost 1,000 lb buffer (kids are going to grow, might bring and easy up etc.)-I am minus food, some clothes, wood for fire and bikes. If I am going somewhere with full hookups I would also gain a few hundred pounds dropping out most of the fresh water. I also have some extra tools etc to weed out after a few trips.

Hope this helps.
socalrcer is offline   Reply With Quote