RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-19-2019, 08:25 PM   #1

Fresh water overflow

Hi all. I have a 2019 forest river sunseeker on a 2016 ford transit 350 hd chassis. Every time I fell up with fresh water it seems to continually run out of the tank until itís about half full, coming out of the overflow. The overflow, I think, is a funny looking black thing mounted on the side of the tank at the bottom. This happens as I drive so by the time we get to our destination weíre lucky to have half a tank of fresh, any ideas? Not sure how the overflow is plumber. Thanks, paul

colebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2019, 11:45 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
(Most, I read) are WARNED in the manual to NEVER pressurize the FWT by filling too fast, AND never walk away while filling, (thus, I suspect) the reason for the SMALL orifice ball valve on the CAMCO FILL attachment for the hose? (Thinkig how small the vent on my FWT) Sadly, sounds like your FWT is split, either from 1) PO filling error or 2) Freeze damage or 3) blown tire damage?

Old 08-20-2019, 12:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by colebear View Post
Hi all. I have a 2019 forest river sunseeker on a 2016 ford transit 350 hd chassis. Every time I fell up with fresh water it seems to continually run out of the tank until itís about half full, coming out of the overflow. The overflow, I think, is a funny looking black thing mounted on the side of the tank at the bottom. This happens as I drive so by the time we get to our destination weíre lucky to have half a tank of fresh, any ideas? Not sure how the overflow is plumber. Thanks, paul
I had same issue with my Forza I would fill the tank to the top drive to destination and be left with about 2/3 tank, loosing 20-30 gallons along the way. In the Forza the vent is on the top of tank, and original pipe goes up about an inch then turns down to exit compartment. I removed this stock pipe and created an extended vent using flex tubing so now the vent goes up about 12" before turning down to exit. I also added a valve inline in new vent tube I can close so zero water will escape. Of course it has to be opened when using water out of tank or filling. As the other reply describes - with some RVs including Forza its extremely important to watch closely when filling and shutoff quickly when full failure to do so can cause tank to expand under pressure (water won't drain as fast as its filling) and bend metal braces above/below the tank. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190406_123111.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	257440
bobca1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:58 AM   #4

Put a cap or ball valve on the end and close till you get to where you are going. Just don't forget!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:01 PM   #5
NXR

Many people have reported that the overflow drain acts as a siphon once water starts to flow through it.

One person took a piece of small diameter rubber tubing, shoved it up the overflow drain until it hit a bend, and secured the other end, the outside end, higher than the tank top. When a siphon effect started it pulled air through the new tube and broke the siphon. You might want to give that a try.

The root cause seems to be that the overflow drain tube is too far inside the tank.

Ray
Old 08-22-2019, 02:48 PM   #6

I put a valve on the overflow/vent tube also. If you donít have room to get the vent high enough to prevent siphoning thatís your only choice.
Just donít forget to open when filling.

Tags
fresh water, water