Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2018, 09:27 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Freshening the Fresh Water Tank

We winterized our 320 Coachmen Leprechaun 320 BH last December and got it ready for use in March. But due to a series of medical problems it has sat idly by since march. We are about to take it on a trip and noticed that the water froi the frsh water tank smells rank. I have investigated on line how to correct this but the universal solution is to pour a water and bleach solution down the water gravity fill line and then fill the tank with fresh water, then empty the tank, and then refill with water. My problem is my Leprechaun does not have an open gravity pour line. There are fixtures that are not removable that are attached to both of the water fill lines that require a hose to be screwed on to the attachment. Any ideas on what how to get a gallon of half bleach and half water solution down into my tank?

TIA
Texas John is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2018, 09:38 AM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Slow down,. You only want a half cup of bleach for 40 gallons of water. Let it sit for a day and run it out though your sinks, if you must. Can then drain your grey tank(s).

Don't over use the bleach.
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:39 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Oh, with a quarter cup of bleach, I pour it into my house when filling the tank. Very easy.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:33 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Does your RV have a line that you use when pumping/sucking in the winter anti-freeze? I just put the water fill switch to the "Fill Tank" setting and then pump in my water and bleach. Make sure the "whole house filter is removed, if you have one, and don't use too much bleach. If you don't like the smell of bleach, use "Spa Shock - Oxidizer". It takes very little of this power and it dissolves quickly in warm water. I use bleach to sanitize the tank and lines, then drain and add Spa Shock. It will remove all organics and the chlorine smell. If you add it, according to the label, you don't have to drain the tank again...
Old 10-15-2018, 10:52 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
BuzzWolfAR

But I am still trying to figure how to get the bleach water into my fresh water tank as i have no location to POUR it into.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:01 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJOL View Post
Does your RV have a line that you use when pumping/sucking in the winter anti-freeze? I just put the water fill switch to the "Fill Tank" setting and then pump in my water and bleach. Make sure the "whole house filter is removed, if you have one, and don't use too much bleach. If you don't like the smell of bleach, use "Spa Shock - Oxidizer". It takes very little of this power and it dissolves quickly in warm water. I use bleach to sanitize the tank and lines, then drain and add Spa Shock. It will remove all organics and the chlorine smell. If you add it, according to the label, you don't have to drain the tank again...
When I switch to this mode to fill the tank, it assumes I am using the pressure from the fill source (nornally municipal water source). My water pump only puts the water into the lines downstream of the water tank or if you switch to the setting for winterizing it will pump from the RV antifreeze sourceinto those lines.THe solution you are suggesting may work only if the source of the smell is from the lines and but not from the fresh water tank itself. Any thoughts on how to get the bleach into the fresh water tank given what I have described?
Old 10-15-2018, 11:31 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas John View Post
When I switch to this mode to fill the tank, it assumes I am using the pressure from the fill source (nornally municipal water source). My water pump only puts the water into the lines downstream of the water tank or if you switch to the setting for winterizing it will pump from the RV antifreeze sourceinto those lines.THe solution you are suggesting may work only if the source of the smell is from the lines and but not from the fresh water tank itself. Any thoughts on how to get the bleach into the fresh water tank given what I have described?
Pour 1/2 cup of bleach into a hose, then fill the tank from your house water. Run into each faucet and toilet. Let it sit overnight. Then drain.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:32 AM   #8

Location: Dan & Pam Nachel RVM #175 & 175a, three Doberman traveling companions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas John View Post

To get bleach into the fresh water tank without a fill port, hook up your hose, stand on a ladder, pour bleach into hose, and have someone turn on the fill valve. Turn off after all bleach has gone through the hose
DobeBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 10:19 AM   #9

Forest River Owners Club
After reading your replies and starting the process, I was totally embarassed at the brain fart i had exhibited. I simply put 4 oz. of bleach into the fill hose and then attached it to the tank fill connection, turned on the water faucet at the house and filled up the fresh water tank. I guess my mind just locked up after watching the videos on the gravity fill method. Thanks for not laughing at my stupid question or sending the men in white to my house.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:19 AM   #10

I agree with above, I just add flushing with apple cider vinegar after beach. It improves the taste of the water.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:22 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You have to learn that there is no such thing as a stupid question
��
Home base Phoenix Az
judy3972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:01 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our "new to us" Coachmen 385DS does not have a tank "fill switch." It has a dedicated hose attachment for either the city water system, or the other to fill the onboard tank. Here is my question.... If your coach has this system, how are you pumping antifreeze into the lines. I could get a cheap pump and put hose fitting on it to suck out the antifreeze from the gallon jugs. Any other ideas?
Old 01-31-2019, 10:25 AM   #13

Freshening the Fresh Water Tank

How to Winterize Your Camper or RV

Pretty decent diagram
Old 01-31-2019, 10:37 AM   #14

https://www.amazon.com/2-Pack-Chlori...RXHBHM45R9J8GR

One tablespoon down the hose and then fill... Its much easier than Bottled Bleach and won't burn your hands or destroy your pants (Don't ask. lol) if it gets on you

Tags
fresh water, tank, water