Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2015, 05:44 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Georgetown

Looking for opinions on quality and service on georgetowns rv. We're looking at the 270s
Jim and Joanne
Joanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2015, 01:17 PM   #2

I will suggest you check on Forrest River Forums.com. Dedicated to all FR products with sub headings for each model, including the Georgetown.
Ask the current owners. Trust me, they're not shy about telling you what they think of their rigs, both the good and the bad,
Grumpy (FR Lexington owner)
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:49 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had a 2011 Georgetown 300fws... Even though there were no issues with chassis (13k'Miles)..The house was another story my issues( Lippert leveling system repeated failure, steps failing, slides getting stuck, leaks)There quality ( upholstery premature wearing, trim falling off)and customer service was what I consider poor... Unanswered emails, empty promises and poor QC....

Let me add this disclaimer..Maybe I expected to much..(It was my first coach) I traded it in 8month after I brought it.. For a older Newmar DP MA that cost me 3 times as much ... But am very happy with my decision....
Old 08-18-2015, 05:05 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
From your experience with forest river how was service getting the items fixed? Problems with your dealer, manufacturer or both??
I'm reading lots of similar stories, and then again folks happy with forest river
We're still considering a smaller Winnebago but hearing much better stories
Debating quality over bells and whistles
this is also our first mh
Thank you so much for your honesty - it really helps
Old 08-18-2015, 05:12 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I did that and still very confused
Seems like there's almost as many happy as those that are not

What I don't know as a first time rver
Is this typical of most manufacturers
Or more potential problems with forest river
We're now scarred - not handy , older, and worried taking on too much with any rv
Old 08-19-2015, 02:56 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The unit I brought was 2 1/2 yrs old and 11k miles... I received no help from Forest river.. First issue were all the hydraulic hoses on the leveling jacks.. A well known issue.. They tend to blister and eventually burst deploying the jacks as you drive down the road... I contacted them and there immediate response was to tell me there warranty only covers the original owner.. But did agree to send me new hoses.. I replaced the hoses at my expense and on my first outing.. Two of the new hoses burst as I pulled into a gas station and immediately deployed the associated jacks and stranded me... I contacted Forest river once again and and after two days of calling they called back..I was told they would take care of me.. What they needed were all the hoses back.. I had the hoses removed and shipped back to Forest river.. After a week I contacted them and was told that warranty manager had made a mistake and they would do nothing for me... Had to have a hydraulic repair shop make me all new hoses and install at my expense... The next issue..once again a very common issue was the lippert steps.. You step down the steps collapse and your on the ground.. Forest Rivers response was to contact lippert ... Lipperts response was to contact forest river... Forest rivers response was to say.. We only warranty original owner..even though they acknowledged that these were known dangerous issues...another problem was with the full wall slide constantly getting jammed... Got to the point the wife and I would hold our breath when I hit the button to bring the slide in... last straw was trying to contact the parts department for new seals ...Left 10 messages and numerous emails and could not get a response...

From what I read after my purchase it seems these Customer service and quality control issues were normal for Forest River.
I traded it in approx 8 month after I purchased and brought a older Newmar MA DP... And can tell you this.... Quality does not compare... Newmar Customer service exceptional , parts department exceptional, Quality exceptional.... Would I ever buy anything or recommend anyone buy from Forest River....NO... I understand the Georgetown line is entry level... So quality might not be up to par and I could have lived with that...But I immediately got the vibe that they just didn't care about there customers..

Let me add a disclaimer... From what I have read and have heard from other Forest River owners ... That these customer service / quality contol issues are mostly isolated to the Georgetown models .. Which could make sense since the Georgetown is there entry level coach...

Whatever you decide... Good luck and have fun
Old 08-19-2015, 09:56 AM   #7

We had an '02 GT325S. It wasn't the greatest design/build quality in the house section. I wouldn't have found the issue if we hadn't had a major water leak in the slide-out overhead cabinets.

The construction was sloppy - in particular the attachment of cabinets to the wall/ceiling Half inch screws into the thin plywood skin over the ceiling insulation were used, even though there were square steel-tube beams within the ceiling.

I also thought the house wiring was badly done. Different colors of wire within a run, no support for the wires over fairly long distances.

The water leak was my fault for not checking the condition of the slide topper when we bought the rig at 8 years old. It was completely rotted out - only the netting was left.

In four years, we didn't have any failures due to construction quality.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:06 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a 2003 Georgetown 346DS and have been very happy with it. We bought it new and the house section has been very good. We lived in it steady for 4 months last summer waiting for our new home to be built so we really got to use every item in it.
We would buy another in a heart beat.
We have had one gas pump in the Ford part which we had replaced.
2008 Pontiac G 6 & Blue Ox Aventa LX
FC Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:51 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Reviews were very mixed, but too many potential problems with forest river products. We liked two coaches and opted for the Winnebago
Thank you for sharing both good and bad

Tags
tow