Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2011, 10:02 AM   #1

Georgetown VE vs. Newmar's Bay Star

Recently sold my diesel pusher and interested in downsizing. At first we considered the Winnebago View but maybe we are thinking too small. Then we saw both the above units (29') and thought it might better fit our needs. There are a lot of similarities between them. It looks like the chassis is the same but one offers more options and color choices - that's about it.

Anyone have any comments regarding the units? I got quite a few thoughts from the Newmar forum.

Lundy
lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2011, 01:42 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
we like our unit
we wanted to purchase close to home if possible
i was very impressed w/newmar but the local dlr doesnt carry them
price was a consideration but as long as im close i dont worry about the last few hundred
this is my 2nd unit from this dlr so we felt comfortable with the deal and knew what to expect from thier service dept
brianj
Old 02-01-2011, 07:04 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Did you check out the Forest River forums? You might be able to get more there from Georgetown owners for your research:

Motorhomes - Forest River Forums

Depending on your needs, check out the amount of interior/exterior storage between the two to make sure you have enough, and that each storage bin configuration/size will work for your particular stuff. Sometimes the actual overall "capacity" is similar, but the individual bin size can differ (i.e., can you fit a portable grill; folding recliners, etc in an outside bin? Or can you compromise by instead using your underneath-the-bed storage area, etc.).

Same deal with the interior -- is the pantry size enough (is there even a designated pantry?? A lot of the units I saw don't have one); places to put pots/pans, linens, towels, clothes, etc.. Basically, can you fit most of what's really important for you currently in the DP also in the new gasser.

From what I can see online, the Baystar has a larger fresh water capacity (75 gal) vs. the Georgetown VE series (50 gal). If you're mainly camping with hookups, it won't really matter. But, if you are dry camping more, this might be a factor over the long-haul.

Also, might want to think about full body paint. I think the Baystar has this standard, but not sure about the standard VE series Georgetown (looks like the "white" may be gelcoat w/stickers?). Again, over the long haul the full body paint might help not only with looks/aesthetics and upkeep, but also with future resale value. (If you can swing it, I would definitely get full body paint, but that's just my opinion.).

Just based on research alone, I don't think you'll go wrong with either brand. Georgetown is said to be the top seller in its class and Forest River has really grown as a company in the last several years, and Newmar's reputation as a company is pretty fantastic.

Best of luck to you!

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:00 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As you can see from our signature we have an 03 Georgetown that we bought new at the dealer in March 2003. Service when needed ( in the first year) was excellent and since that time only upkeep and maintenence. We toured the factory this past summer and really like what we saw there too. They are not the fanciest MH's out there but they are not an entry model in any way. Our MH can standard with most of the options we would have asked for and the price was very good. Two years after ours they changed the roof to full fiberglass and later they went to the all body paint which is another great option. There has to be a reason they are one of if not the best selling gas MH models.
We would have no hesitation to purchase another Georgetown and many people we know have also made the switch.
JM2CW
2008 Pontiac G 6 & Blue Ox Aventa LX
FC Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:37 AM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
Forest River Owners Club
I think the other people have sumed it up pretty good. Look at both and compair it to your needs. We went thru the Numar factory and the Forest River factory and I was impressed with the construction of the Forest River Georgetown motorhome. And thats what we bought. Ours is 38 ft and designed to handle both cold and hot weather with dual pane windows, artic package, fireplace, and heat blankets on the tanks.
Kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote