Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Forest River Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2012, 11:20 AM   #1

good rv insurance that covers everything

We just bought a new Forest River 5th wheel and was wanting to know about insurance and also those extended warranties that they want you to buy. Does anyone know anything about good sam club insurance.
escambia406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2012, 02:17 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
NO insurance covers "everything". Suggest you google "insurance" here on iRV2 which should keep a person busy for several days including the question about Good Sam.
Why would "extended warranty" coverage be desired on a new vehicle? If it turns to a lemon the additional coverage could be considered as the factory warranty is expiring. Dealer mark-up (commission) for this coverage is tremendous!!
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:10 PM   #3

Extended warranties and insurance coverage are two different things.

Not knowing what to expect as a first time coach owner, I did buy an extended warranty for our new motorcoach. House-on-truck-chassis is a complicated bit of engineering so I thought it made sense. Some folks may say that was not a wise choice but I am more confortable for having it and the cost was within my financial tolerance margin, in spite of the high markup.

Insurance is for your liability to others arising out of the use of your 5th wheel and also to make you whole again if it is damaged or totaled through a covered event, such as an auto accident while you are towing it, or a tornado while it's parked.

In the case of insurance watch for "ACV" coverage which is actual cash value. That means you will only get the depreciated value of the unit in the event of a total loss. Typically not enough to go out and replace it. You want "RC" or replacement cost which will buy you a new replacement if it's totaled. Either policy will pay for repairs in the event it is damaged but not totaled.

Ask your agent about this when you arrange for a policy.

Gary
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:22 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
Extended warranties and insurance coverage are two different things.

Not knowing what to expect as a first time coach owner, I did buy an extended warranty for our new motorcoach. House-on-truck-chassis is a complicated bit of engineering so I thought it made sense. Some folks may say that was not a wise choice but I am more confortable for having it and the cost was within my financial tolerance margin, in spite of the high markup.

Insurance is for your liability to others arising out of the use of your 5th wheel and also to make you whole again if it is damaged or totaled through a covered event, such as an auto accident while you are towing it, or a tornado while it's parked.

In the case of insurance watch for "ACV" coverage which is actual cash value. That means you will only get the depreciated value of the unit in the event of a total loss. Typically not enough to go out and replace it. You want "RC" or replacement cost which will buy you a new replacement if it's totaled. Either policy will pay for repairs in the event it is damaged but not totaled.

Ask your agent about this when you arrange for a policy.

Gary
We don't buy the service policies, they're simply a contract and cover only what is or isn't stated. Most don't cover items damaged by a non-covered part (should a covered part be damaged by a non-covered part, neither part will be covered). Owner had a trans go out, the insurance company asked for his maintenance records and found he missed an ENGINE oil change by 750 miles. The cancelled the policy, he did get his money back, but no coverage.
We had full replacement coverage,m but it was only good for the first 6 years so now we have the actual new cost so we would at least get what we paid. Not enough to replace the unit now though as prices have gone up 50% or so since 2002.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:43 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I just joined Good Sam Club and bought the annual emergency road service. I just basically wanted the towing and road-side assistance coverage. The basis plan also covers all vehicles that I own. My RV; 1985 winnie is too old for an extended warranty - Sam Club has a 12 year age limit on their RV extended warranty coverage policies. I did not expect any extended warranties to take on that old of a vehicle. The Sam Club offers discounts at sam club RV parks and at camping world purchases. It also offers a small gasoline/diesel discount for Pilot and Flying W service centers if you have their credit card. Check out Good Sam Club...I figure for $80 it gives me some peace of mind in the event of a breakdown.

Here is their link: https://www.goodsamers.com

20016 - Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite - 26BHS travel trailer
Gary G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:28 PM   #6

rv insurance

Thanks so much for the information on the extended warranty. It was very helpful. as for the insurance what I was wanting to know was there anybody out there that has good sam insurance. They send me information all the time about how much better it is than insurance that you carry on your vehicle.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:47 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Good Sam is always sending me "notices" about how they can save me "$419 per year" or some such amount on my insurance.

It is going to be pretty hard for Good Sam since I only pay Geico $280 per year for my RV insurance and that includes towing
Old 04-25-2012, 07:26 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Try these guys, I got an excellent quote.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:46 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sorry I mispoke

I just go my Geico bill in the mail today. It is not really $280 per year.

It is $189.80
Old 04-26-2012, 07:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirelessenab View Post
Good Sam is always sending me "notices" about how they can save me "$419 per year" or some such amount on my insurance.

It is going to be pretty hard for Good Sam since I only pay Geico $280 per year for my RV insurance and that includes towing
Good Sam does not sell insurance; they have an agreement with an insurance carrier who actually provides the coverage. Good Sam advertises and then refers club members to the carrier probably for a fee.

I had a quote from that carrier. I wish I could remember the carrier but can't recall it at the moment; I thought it was GMAC but I'm not certain.

Nonetheless, it was a good quote and they would tolerate policyholders, like us, who tend to cancel liability coverages during periods of non use like during the winter. Also, it was a replacement cost policy. I will probably move over since my current carrier covers the coach only because they write the rest of my risk. I don't think they are really comfortable with underwriting a coach which is not a good thing for me.

FYI They (GMAC?) wanted $1200 for a year on my 2011 Encounter class A. I backed into a tree out near our field and dented in the back door ($1400) with a SUV and then last year rubbed up against a pole with the coach and redesigned the low front of a couple of basement doors, ($4600). With that information they increased the quote to $1800 for the year; I am still tempted to move to them.

Roll
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:59 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
have had GS and AARP. never had a claim. after first year they slowly raised my rates till they were doubled. dumped em. have progressive now n it looks like they are following the same pattern. so, good luck. if you find a good one let us know.
dave
cannon man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I have USAA on my car and the rate from them is pretty good. I can't complain. Now when I went to see if they could write my RV, they referred me to their associate that writes RV insurance, Progressive, and the quote they gave me was awful. Like $1,200.00 a year or something I was tissed!

If you write with an agency like Explorer RV, it's their job to go and find you the best rate. If anybody else gives them a try please let us know how you made out.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #13

rv insurance

Well, I called GMAC today to get a quote on our new 5th wheel that we have on order. It wasn't too bad. They wanted $388.oo a year. We were paying State Farm $312.00 for a 2004 Rockwood T/T Now this price is with our 2 vehicles included together. ( multi-car discount )I would be saving about $160.00 on my husbands truck and over $417.00 a year on my truck as compared to what we are now paying State Farm.I can't remember what she told me the camper would be by itself.We have been with State Farm for about 20 years and it is a little scary walking away.We have had good service from them.Decisions, Decisions
Old 05-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #14

We're still with state farm on house dw jeep and dd car . My truck and new TT are with geico now .
My Harley was with progressive , now it is with geico

I had state farm for over 20 yrs, they could not meet geico. Price

Go with a hood company and don't look back

I paid through the nose when my 2 kids started driving , 4 autos. 650.00 a month

I'll always shop around now on rates
capsfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance